I ate meat on Friday did I commit a mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Trap_344
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trap_344

Guest
Me and my dad (doesn’t care for Catholics) he got the only shrimp left, I got loaded nachos with brisket (it was a bbq place all they had was meat ) knowing it was Friday but not wanting to make him mad , would this be a mortal sin or venial . Sorry for bad grammar and English
 
Last edited:
I think the main issue here is that you didn’t stand up for your faith which might make this a mortal sin. If you were not able to get something else because it was truly impossible I think it would be different. Go to confession no biggie
 
My parents don’t like catholic so I have to wait till I’m a adult to be confirmed , I’m only 14, I believe in the catholic faith but not confirmed
 
Hang in there and keep working in your faith! Remember to pray for your parents so God can soften their heart and hey can understand and respect your faith
 
Well, you’re well on your way to making the best decision of your life, Trap_344. I made my First Communion and confirmation later in life.
 
It’s possible it was mortal, but probable it was venial.

Regardless, refrain from Communion until you can confess this sin.
 
The full consent of your will would be required, which I don’t believe you had, in regards to your choice of brisket over say, mac and cheese. Few have that kind of self control.
 
Well I hope your right , I could probably talk my parent into letting me join but I think it’s best to wait tell I know I’m ready
 
One is excused when morally or physically unable to abstain.

You also imply you are not yet a Catholic. If so, the rules of fast and abstinence do not bind you at all.

You are 14, obey your parents in what they require.
 
I was invited to my cousin’s house one weekend, and on the Friday (not during Lent, I try to live by the old rules), I was presented with a roast dinner. I stood up for my faith and explained that I didn’t eat meat on Fridays. They argued with me that “Vatican II had said…” (the usual line…), so I had to “put up”. I went to confession at the earliest opportunity.
 
If you weren’t baptized explicitly as a Catholic, the canonical rules regarding meat consumption on Fridays do not apply to you. It’s great you’re trying to do it, but don’t beat yourself up if you can’t.
 
Last edited:
the OP is only desiring to be Catholic- has not had Confirmation or Communion, so this really doesent apply…
 
Wait, so my eating of sweets as part of my small meal on Ash Wednesday is not a sin? I am not fully Catholic yet.
 
It wasn’t until I had actually gone into the Council’s documents and read the actual text myself, I found that most of what I had been told by people was the wrong interpretation.
 
If you wanted to observe a meatless Friday, was there some reason you couldn’t haven’t asked for the brisket not to be included? I know at Taco Bell they have triple layer nachos with nacho cheese, beans, and red sauce. No meat. Maybe the place would have accommodated you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top