J
John_Russell_Jr
Guest
Dearest friend
It’s good you feel that way. Use it and study and pray. And yes, apologetics. Don’t be disheartened if you feel you didn’t make a good defence. The main thing is to try. It’s the Holy Spirit who makes our efforts fruitful and he can do that without our efforts. So just try, and learn.
I have 2 stories that I think are interesting for you. You may like them. I’m off to bed after this.

It’s good you feel that way. Use it and study and pray. And yes, apologetics. Don’t be disheartened if you feel you didn’t make a good defence. The main thing is to try. It’s the Holy Spirit who makes our efforts fruitful and he can do that without our efforts. So just try, and learn.
I have 2 stories that I think are interesting for you. You may like them. I’m off to bed after this.
- When I was new to the faith I met a man I did a delivery to. I found out he was a christian and made arrangements to come and see him after work. I did and found out he had not long left the catholic church and joined a fundamentalist church. The reason he did this was because in his whole life, maybe 40 yrs, he had never met a catholic who was enthusiastic about his faith. I didn’t know very much at all and couldn’t hope to convert him with knowledge. I don’t know what happened to him but he said one intersting thing to me - he could not believe how enthusiastic I was. He had never met an enthusiastic catholic.
- I have a friend named Allen. He was telling me how sad he was about his brothers and family, and in particular his brother Gus. He was very sad because they all left the church young and were atheists. I said to Allen to just try and talk to Gus. Allen didn’t want to because Allen was no where near as intelligent as Gus and also Allen was worried he’d lose his brothers friendship. I explained to Allen that he had to try and if he just tried our Lord would do the rest. We just have to make a little effort. So Allen agreed and went to his monthly get together with Gus armed with a catholic newspaper to give him. That’s what he thought he’d do. When Allen went to speak to his brother a stranger, a Chinese woman, just came right up to Gus’ face before Allen spoke and said , “Jesus loves you.” Allen was shocked because there is no way this woman could have known what was going on. They were speaking Arabic by themselves for starters. When the woman said this she looked at Allen out the corner of her eye, and Gus was dazzled a bit. He had a sparkle in his eye like he’d been touched by grace. He said, “Oh! That’s nice.” The woman walked off and seemed to disappear when Allen looked back. Allen thinks it was an angel. Wouldn’t surprise me. That was maybe 3 yrs ago. Gus is not completely back yet but he’s getting there. His daughter came back and is working on the parents. Gus is an occasional mass goer right now. But after this Allen had a brother who’d been away too long die 2 yrs ago and he found out he’d come back in time and left his house and everything to a church at Campbelltown here. A lot of money. There is another story in that I’ll leave. Allens brother Mark has come back too- he’s dying right now. So good timing. Another brother has regained faith but not mass yet. And some family members are on the way etc I think. It all started because Allen who was hopeless at apologetics made an effort and offered prayers etc for them.