I read somewhere that Jewish scholars made changes to scripture

  • Thread starter Thread starter Big_Dummy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend, I think you should not include the deuterocanon in the list of apocryphal books.
 
So, this whole thread was designed for you to be able to show off your knowledge? Or are you trying to bait an argument? :confused:
ah no, it is about where Christian Fathers accused Jewish Scholars of changing the scriptures.
 
apocrypha
Popularity
apoc·ry·pha noun pl but singular or pl in constr \ə-ˈpä-krə-fə
Definition of APOCRYPHA
1: writings or statements of dubious authenticity
2capitalized a : books included in the Septuagint and Vulgate but excluded from the Jewish and Protestant canons of the Old Testament — see bible table b : early Christian writings not included in the New Testament
Origin of APOCRYPHA
Medieval Latin, from Late Latin, neuter plural of apocryphus secret, not canonical, from Greek apokryphos obscure, from apokryptein to hide away, from apo- + kryptein to hide — more at crypt
First Known Use: 14th century
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apocrypha?show=0&t=1307389092

I already said, I use the word in the sense of apokryptein to hide away

And, the other books are considered to be scripture by orthodox – many of those books are in the LXX too.
 
Hagan in “Fires of Rome” suggests that either someone changed “Acts of the Apostles”, or that Luke was wrong.

The High Priest who Paul insulted in A.D. 58 should have been Ismael, and not Ananias, the one who is identified in Acts.

Through Ismael, you can link the Second Temple High Priesthood to the later persecutions of the Christians in Rome, and the death of Paul. If true, this is not something the Jews would want widely known for obvious reasons.
Your proof of these claims?
 
So, this whole thread was designed for you to be able to show off your knowledge? Or are you trying to bait an argument? :confused:
This thread is three weeks old, hopefully I learned something since asking. :rolleyes:
 
Also, wikipedia and merriam-webster aren’t the greatest sources of info… :confused:
 
Also, wikipedia and **merriam-webster **aren’t the greatest sources of info… :confused:
I expect that a standard English dictionary like merriam-webster is a good source to check the meaning of English words for the English language. Just like one would check BAG for Biblical Greek words.
 
Whether Jewish scholars made changes to the Septuagint, or whether it was the other way around (and it probably was): I must confess that I personally find the Septuagint more appealing in that it’s more explicit about Christ, and other things fully revealed in the New Testament. Nevertheless, I have complete faith and trust in the Church, so I won’t make personal judgments on this issue, and will stick to Catholic Bibles. The Truth is what counts.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top