We are a small town parish and there is a problem with racism among us. One of our Priests is from Africa, and one of our Deacons is from somewhere in Latin America (Iām not sure where). They both have thick accents. People have mistreated them so much that there have been repeated homilies from our Pastor about it, begging everyone to act with Christian charity.
Today at Mass the Latin American Deacon said the homily (it was a great one, I learned a lot). An elderly lady sitting behind me made comments and upset noises the entire time. (When he first started she said āHere we goā¦ā for instance.)
Afterward, I turned to her and said, āExcuse me, I couldnāt help but overhear you making disparaging remarks about the Deacon during the homily.ā
She immediately replied, āYoung lady, I have been going to this Parish for 40 years!ā
Then I looked her in the eye sternly and said, āRemember your Christian charity.ā And that was it.
Behind me I could hear her saying āDid you hear what she said?! I love this Parish!ā And the person next to me was glaring at me. I felt like I wanted to cry. As a young person at the Parish (and a recent convert to the Catholic Faith) I should be able to look up to those who have been here for so longā¦
Did I do the right thing? Have any of you been in a similar situation?