I Rebuked Someone Today... Did I Do Right?

  • Thread starter Thread starter vashsunglasses
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job! šŸ‘

I’m not sure that I’d have the courage to confront someone. You did the right thing.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the woman has been in the parish for 40 years and I think she sees it as ā€˜her’ parish. That does not excuse her ignorance and rudeness, but it helps to explain it.
 
I’m not sure that I’d have the courage to confront someone. You did the right thing.
That is the curse of today’s society. Many fall into that category. So many people today are scared to confront somebody else even if it’s in a respectful manner. I have fallen into that trap many times myself. As long as its the truth and shown with true Christian charity, it is definitely the right thing to do.
 
You absolutley did the right thing! Your age and the amount of time the woman behind you has attended that particular church makes no difference. Never be afraid to do the right thing. I would bet that this woman will rethink what she did and what she said. Even if she doesn’t, YOU still did that right thing!
 
Good for you. I witnessed such bigotry when we had our Vietnamese pastor. And a local parish, that has had several native African priests over the years had parishoners that were stupid and cruel toward these men sent by God. It is so sad.
 
Good for you. I witnessed such bigotry when we had our Vietnamese pastor. And a local parish, that has had several native African priests over the years had parishoners that were stupid and cruel toward these men sent by God. It is so sad.
Not to make generalizations about people of my own race, but don’t white people realize that Jesus was *probably *not European-white, but *probably *Middle Eastern-brown? I suspect that some people would find this upsetting. Actually, while there’s no proof of this, my personal opinion is that when we meet our Lord for judgement, we will see Him as the person or type of person we most dislike (e.g., ā€œArchie Bunkerā€ would see Jesus as a black man).

God bless,
Dan
 
We are a small town parish and there is a problem with racism among us. One of our Priests is from Africa, and one of our Deacons is from somewhere in Latin America (I’m not sure where). They both have thick accents. People have mistreated them so much that there have been repeated homilies from our Pastor about it, begging everyone to act with Christian charity.

Today at Mass the Latin American Deacon said the homily (it was a great one, I learned a lot). An elderly lady sitting behind me made comments and upset noises the entire time. (When he first started she said ā€œHere we goā€¦ā€ for instance.)

Afterward, I turned to her and said, ā€œExcuse me, I couldn’t help but overhear you making disparaging remarks about the Deacon during the homily.ā€

She immediately replied, ā€œYoung lady, I have been going to this Parish for 40 years!ā€

Then I looked her in the eye sternly and said, ā€œRemember your Christian charity.ā€ And that was it.

Behind me I could hear her saying ā€œDid you hear what she said?! I love this Parish!ā€ And the person next to me was glaring at me. I felt like I wanted to cry. As a young person at the Parish (and a recent convert to the Catholic Faith) I should be able to look up to those who have been here for so long…

Did I do the right thing? Have any of you been in a similar situation?
I think if many of us need to follow your example. šŸ‘
 
That’s what I thought when I read it. Just seemed like arrogance in the form of sarcasm. Only the person that said it would know for sure though. 😃
Oh, of course I would never assume what was on anybody’s heart. I guess I was thinking out loud… šŸ˜‰
 
We are a small town parish and there is a problem with racism among us. One of our Priests is from Africa, and one of our Deacons is from somewhere in Latin America (I’m not sure where). They both have thick accents. People have mistreated them so much that there have been repeated homilies from our Pastor about it, begging everyone to act with Christian charity.

Today at Mass the Latin American Deacon said the homily (it was a great one, I learned a lot). An elderly lady sitting behind me made comments and upset noises the entire time. (When he first started she said ā€œHere we goā€¦ā€ for instance.)

Afterward, I turned to her and said, ā€œExcuse me, I couldn’t help but overhear you making disparaging remarks about the Deacon during the homily.ā€

She immediately replied, ā€œYoung lady, I have been going to this Parish for 40 years!ā€

Then I looked her in the eye sternly and said, ā€œRemember your Christian charity.ā€ And that was it.

Behind me I could hear her saying ā€œDid you hear what she said?! I love this Parish!ā€ And the person next to me was glaring at me. I felt like I wanted to cry. As a young person at the Parish (and a recent convert to the Catholic Faith) I should be able to look up to those who have been here for so long…

Did I do the right thing? Have any of you been in a similar situation?
Is the reason you are unsure about your actions is because when you told the lady not to forget her Christian charity you were angry? If you were that might be why you’re having a twinge of conscience. I know when I am angry, even if I am in the right, it doesn’t sit well with me. You can be angry and not sin, but maybe the anger thing is why you’re not sure.
 
I think you did it right but don’t forget to include that the possiblity of the lady having problem with her mind - if she is around the parish 40 years … I am guessing she is in 60’s or so? I have seen few people around this age having some sort of illness and they do talk during mass for some reason…
Excuze moi??? Just wait til they hit 70. They’re even nuttier then as per example writing this postl. :bounce::bounce:

Sorry, I WAS young once, long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. I have got to get some rest. Been around these threads too long.šŸ˜‰
 
Excuze moi??? Just wait til they hit 70. They’re even nuttier then as per example writing this postl. :bounce::bounce:

Sorry, I WAS young once, long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away. I have got to get some rest. Been around these threads too long.šŸ˜‰
😃 you are still young. šŸ™‚

When I was writing this post, I actually missed a old lady at the church where I go to mass at lunch break. She was always prayerful and she seemed to talk with Jesus and Mary during mass. One time, after mass, she stopped me and we had a conversation. I told her to low her voice b/c we were still inside the church - she was upset and gave me a punch on my chin. :hypno: … I don’t know what might’ve happened to her; I haven’t seen her for awhile. I should ask around.
 
she was upset and gave me a punch on my chin.
Not that I doubt you, but are your serious? She punched you out in church? :eek: That tops just about anything else I’ve ever heard!

God bless,
Dan
 
You did a good thing.

That’s fraternal correction if its done out of love. You showed love for the deacon and for the woman as you did not want her to sin.

It’s better for her to be rebuked by you just now than it is for her to be rebuked by Christ on judgment day for her lack of love and patience.

God bless
 
:clapping: I think you did the right thing. Absolutely! At the right time! Yes! This is not a case of 2 wrongs don’t make a right and btw…some older people think that their age excuses their behavior. I’ve seen it here in Florida. Just because someone has gone there for 40 years doesn’t really mean anything…Judas was an apostle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top