well, the old testament Satan was a subordinate to God whose job it was to be a tester and did that on Gods behalf. Job was Satan’s target to test after getting permission from God and after a severe test, God said Job was indeed loyal…and Satan asked for another chance to prove to God that Job wasn’t the person God had been led to believe. So, the test became extremely severe with the loss of all Job had. He was still loyal and so God pulled Satan off the task and rewarded Job with twice what he had possessed. I presume Job was ok with this but I suppose he missed his family.
I don’t think the punitive Satan, acting on his own and with a determination to destroy God was present in the old testament. I got this more recently from Pagel’s book, The Origen of Satan. Always interested in another viewpoint.
I’ve not understood the baptism except perhaps as a story to support baptism versus circumcision. There was a sect who took the baptism as the adoption of Jesus by God given the voice which said, Behold, the Son of God. But they petered out over time.
I think that the historical model is very hard to put together with the bible we have today. And really, who knows? The question is one of belief isn’t it?