If it's beyond control, is it still a sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike1w
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike1w

Guest
Right now I can’t do my job, due to circumstances at work beyond my control. But I still have to be at work. Is doing something not my job, because I can’t do my job, a sin?
 
Specifically, I deliver the commissary in a corrections facility. However the entire facility is on lockdown indefinitely, which means no commissary. I’ve done almost all non-delivery that I can. My supervisor has no issue. Maybe I am worrying too much.
 
It’s not possible for you to do your normal job. People above you made that decision; you’re not deliberately skipping your job duties. Not a sin.
 
Maybe I am worrying too much.
You likely are - if your supervisor is content with what you are doing then you are doing your job, even if it is different from your normal duties.
 
I understand your concern Mike. I have A LOT of downtime at my current assignment and I often feel guilty about that. All that being said, my supervisor thinks I’m doing a great job and I get perfect scores when the end of the year reviews come around.

I think as long as you’re doing what your employer expects out of you, you should be good to go.
 
Why would doing or not doing any part of your job a sin?

Some days I go to work with soul purpose of doing as little as possible.
 
Last edited:
Obey your supervisor. If you are bored, sweep up, do some document shredding, there is likely another worker who could use a hand.
 
Right now I can’t do my job, due to circumstances at work beyond my control. But I still have to be at work. Is doing something not my job, because I can’t do my job, a sin?
Do anything helpful to others that you work with. Also, spending time thinking of ways to improve how you do your job when you are able again would be a good use of downtime in my book.
 
I have done a lot of the necessary prep work, but if I do too much space becomes an issue. Of course, new product arrives each Tuesday, even though I have more left to do for this week than I can get done the rest of today and all day Monday. So I will have to start again on Tuesday and absorb the old work into the new. Thankfully, nothing perishable is here, its just a matter of having enough space. I know I can do the job, its just the adjustment to these challenges that makes me anxious. Of course, if I couldn’t do the job, I wouldn’t still have it. The most annoying part is being patient when the inmates constantly complain and ask after their packages. I have to balance every inmate with every other inmate, while still keeping my boss happy and following the jail rules on security and safety. I will just continue to do my best. If an inmate complains, I usually either just tell them I am working on it, or else advise them to speak with the corrections facility leadership, if the problem is beyond my control.
 
You worry too much. Think of it like a paid vacation.

For the last three years of my job (I am long retired now) I basically had nothing to do. I told my supervisor, and he said “I’ll find you a project.” He never did. I surfed the web, wrote e-mails, took two-hour lunches, even saw a couple movies. I showed up every day ready to work. Not my problem if they couldn’t manage properly!
 
okay. I will just enjoy, and prepare for the next two weeks of catching up.
 
So, now, I’m behind and slowly catching up. Since it was a facility wide security procedure, all will have to live with waiting for orders. I’ll just say I don’t know when commissary is going to be delivered if asked.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top