If Mary appeared before you how would you test her?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr.Phoenix
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr.Phoenix

I always thought if an angel or saint appeared before me I could ask them to pray the Hail Mary with me to see if they are Holy or demonic in disguise. If Jesus himself appeared before me it would be strange to ask him to pray the Hail Mary but I could ask him to say he loved the blessed virgin Mary which the demons would not. If Mary appeared I couldn’t ask her to pray the Hail Mary as that would be strange or say she loves herself. What could I ask her to do/pray that the demonic would hate doing, they still believe in God so it would be easier for the demonic to pray the Glory Be than the Hail Mary?

Last edited:
Zechariah doubted Gabrial when he appaeared. He ended up not being able to talk for 9 months because of it.

2 Corinthians 11: 14 There is nothing astonishing in this; even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

St. Herman of Alaska (Russian Orthodox saint) is said to have had many visitations by saints. But he didn’t talk to anyone that entered his hut until they venerated (bowed at & kissed) the icons of Christ and the Saints. If they did, he would recognize them. If they didn’t, he paid them no notice.
If Mary appeared before me, I would not feel the need to test her.
I think one should - there are instances where that the devil or demons have appeared as the Virgin Mary; one of them is referenced by St. Paisios in this post (Story #16)

Last edited:
Any apparition that didn’t acknowledge Jesus Christ as the Son of God would be a liar.

This is a quote from the link you posted:

“ The devil had appeared to him as the Virgin Mary and told him, ‘My child, if you kneel to worship me, I will give you the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit…’ ”

I wouldn’t think that Mary would offer such a thing. So that would make me suspect. Everything has to be weighed, yes. But tested? No.

Everything has to be weighed, yes. But tested? No.
Respectfully I still think one should test, because the Bible commands us to do so:

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God” (I John 4:1)

Test the Spirits​

4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. 4 Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. 6 We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

The Bible warns us to indeed…test the spirits

Ok, and just how would you test her?
I have icons. If she bows before and kisses the icon of Christ, then I’ll listen.

However, sinner that I am, I would never expect the Theotokos to appear to me in the first place.

Last edited:
There are well known apparitions from Garabandal and Medjugorje that have never been approved and to many are considered false…I’m not saying they are…but they seem highly dubious even from their local Bishops

I’d check for her feet, like St. Pio said.

I’d also run to a Priest, and not tell another living soul if I could help it.

If I’m not mistaken, a demon appeared as the BVM to St. Pio of Pietrelcina. Before anything, St. Pio looked down at the apparition to see if he could see its feet. He could not see any feet, concluded that the apparition was false, and rebuked it.

I believe the reasoning behind it was that a demon, while it could take on the appearance of the BVM, could not take on her feet, because those are the same feet that will crush the head of the Serpent.

Ha there was literally a fraction of a seconds difference between our posts.

Thanks for explaining it.

I saw this in Padre Pio book, Padre Pio says the devil has disguised as Jesus, his confessor/spiritual director, etc, and each time Padre Pio would tell the disguised devil to say something like Live Jesus and the devil would disappear, leaving a terrible boron smell.

Ha! I wouldn’t need to test her. It would be false. No saint would ever appear to me.

Just make her mention the words “Jesus Christ”. Demons can’t stand mentioning the Holy Name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back