If you want to travel next year, you may need a vaccine passport

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the time the vaccine is widely available, we will be approaching herd immunity and the rate of new infection will plummet - this requirement then isn’t required.

I think mandated masks will remain with us, but not a vaccine passport.

World Population is 7.8 Billion. Herd Immunity requires at least 60 percent. That equates to 4.68 Billion getting the Vaccination. Highly doubt Herd Immunity being acquired by the end of next year.

US Population is 328 Million. Herd Immunity requires 196 Million gettng vaccinated. How many have been vaccinated so far?

I don’t think they have thought through the implications of making private medical information public.

World Population is 7.8 Billion. Herd Immunity requires at least 60 percent. That equates to 4.68 Billion getting the Vaccination. Highly doubt Herd Immunity being acquired by the end of next year.

US Population is 328 Million. Herd Immunity requires 196 Million gettng vaccinated. How many have been vaccinated so far?
Herds are mostly separated, not lumped together. If you want to lump them together, then try developed countries vs undeveloped. Most air travel is done by citizens of OECD countries that comparatively are buying/pushing the vaccine.

For the US, reports are that we will be approaching herd immunity late in 2021. This doesn’t mean there still won’t be small outbreaks, just that they won’t spread into a wildfire sweeping the country.

Also, if we continue to target at-risk people for the vaccine, by late 2021 the harm is greatly reduced for the infections that remain. We end up with lots of people staying home for 2 weeks but not overloading Hospital ICUs

Last edited:
I can see countries requiring a proof of vaccination, but I think they will need to get it in some way other than an app because many do not have smartphones and even if one does have a smartphone, one cannot guarantee that the app or whatever will be working.

, one cannot guarantee that the app or whatever will be working.
Imagine getting off a plane after 20 hours of travel. While approaching customs, a very tired passenger drops their phone and the screen cracks. The phone still kind of works, but has some areas with dead pixels. The customs agent ask them to present their vaccination QR code. The passenger manages to open the app, but the. ar code isn’t readable because of the dead pixels. Now, they can either go into quarantine or get sent back to where they flew in from.

Imagine getting off a plane after 20 hours of travel. While approaching customs, a very tired passenger drops their phone and the screen cracks. The phone still kind of works, but has some areas with dead pixels. The customs agent ask them to present their vaccination QR code. The passenger manages to open the app, but the. ar code isn’t readable because of the dead pixels. Now, they can either go into quarantine or get sent back to where they flew in from.
That is why a credit card type vaccine card is probably the best choice. Keep in the same place you keep your your Id you need to board the plane.

That is why a credit card type vaccine card is probably the best choice. Keep in the same place you keep your your Id you need to board the plane
But I don’t want to provide my private medical records to anyone.
Foreign countries may have laws forcing it.
But the US has privacy laws in place against this.

As it stands now, to travel to some countries one needs evidence of certain vaccinations. Is this any different?

If you are traveling to another country you may not have a choice.

as he as pointed out below.
As it stands now, to travel to some countries one needs evidence of certain vaccinations. Is this any different?
But the US has privacy laws in place against this.
Does the same privacy laws prevent Schools from acquiring a copy of vaccination record before allowing admittance? But it will be a matter for SCOTUS to decide if US Intra-travel requires a “Vaccine Passport”. An Airline is a private institution. They reserve the right to deny access to their vehicles for the greater safety of the majority of their passengers.

Last edited:
No , not any different.

If I get a vaccine, what’s the big deal showing proof of it ?

It is however, a flawed " reassurance" anyhow. A vaccine does not guarantee someone is not infected and shedding the virus. It just shows a person received a vaccination.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

A Department of Health and Human Services employee holds a COVID-19 vaccine record card Nov. 13. The cards will be sent out as part of vaccination kits from Operation Warp Speed.

I can recall the public outcry with AIDS and people claiming that there medical history should not be public.

How quickly the liberal side changes.

I can recall the public outcry with AIDS and people claiming that there medical history should not be public.
Different people may have different requirements for what satisfies their privacy. I think the most common requirement is that for some item of data in question that another party may only have k knowledge of the information if the person to which it is assigned wishes to allow them to know.

It is possible to both have a certification of having been vaccinated that can be verified while not making that information generally available to a party performing a random search. This is something that is frequently necessary in digital computing and is often handled with “web tokens.” There are various forms of this concept that could be adapted to paper also.

There are various forms of this concept that could be adapted to paper also.
None of which I want to tell anyone.

What I do, or do not, have floating in me veins is a deeply personal decision that should be between my doctor and myself.

Once roe is overturned, I may change my mind.

What I do, or do not, have floating in me veins is a deeply personal decision that should be between my doctor and myself.
While I agree with you, I doubt any nation will. Immigrants (whether just vacationers or the more permanent kind) rarely have any rights when entering a nation. I can see just about every nation requiring evidence of vaccination, a negative test, or quarantine to foreigners. Some already do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back