S
StMartinTours
Guest
I am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
I like it.I am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
YesI am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
At least in England, it has to a certain point made up for great and grievous losses in its Christianity. The reiteration again and again in fixed course in the public service of the words of inspired teachers under both Covenants, and that in grave majestic English, has in matter of fact been to our people a vast benefit. It has attuned their minds to religious thoughts; it has given them a high moral standard; it has served them in associating religion with compositions which, even humanly considered, are among the most sublime and beautiful ever written
However, I understand that the current edition from Ignatius Press is the RSV- Catholic Edition, Second Edition. This version omits many of the older forms such as ‘thou’. This change seems a shame to me, as the English of the King James version was archaic in places even when it was written. The Anglican divines who translated it (inspired by the uncovenanted Holy Spirit?) used archaic forms as a way of developing the “grave majestic English” that Blessed John Henry speaks of. It seems a shame to do away with that. I would look for a used copy of the 1945 RSV, Ignatius Catholic version.
That’s true; Ignatius still sells both editions. The 2nd edition is nice because it actually includes some headings, which make it easier to find what you’re looking for. The 1st edition has no headings and only a handful of footnotes.Ignatius offers the RSV-CE with the ‘thees and thous’ and also offers the RSV-2CE without the ‘thees and thous’, both are good, it comes down to preference.
YES!!!. Get it!.I am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
I would be interested in the translational errors in the DR. Can you tell me what and where they are in the DR? ThanksThe Ignatius Bible is my favorite version and the primary Bible I use. It is written in plain modern English unlike the DR version so it is easier to comprehend, and there were some translational errors in the DR not present in the Ignatius.
Yes, the Study Bible has the text of Scripture on the top half of the page and copious footnotes on the bottom half.So do I take it that the Ignatius Bible and the study editions are different things? Does the Ignatius Bible have annotations?
I have that one. Of all the Bibles I have, it is my favorite. Very portable.I plan to purchase the zippered pocket size Ignatius Bible.
I was just looking at the Ignatius study bible in their catalog last night, I’ll probably purchase one this afternoon. Hopefully it helps with my studies. :yup:Yes, the Study Bible has the text of Scripture on the top half of the page and copious footnotes on the bottom half.
Nice. I hope you and your studies are enriched and blessed by it.I was just looking at the Ignatius study bible in their catalog last night, I’ll probably purchase one this afternoon. Hopefully it helps with my studies. :yup:
I know there are many grammatical errors which come from being translated two times over from hebrew/greek → latin → english but I don’t have a list of all of them, but if you google it im sure results will show up. But this doesn’t empty the DR of its beauty or validity as a good Bible, I own a very decorative copy myself, but because of some of the errors I choose to use other Bibles for study and apologetic purposes to make sure I don’t get into any grammatical disputes.I would be interested in the translational errors in the DR. Can you tell me what and where they are in the DR? Thanks