Ignatius Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter StMartinTours
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

StMartinTours

Guest
I am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
 
I am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
I like it. :o I think the RSV is a little more accurate and the language a little more beautiful than the NAB. Ignatius is probably the most well known publisher of the Catholic edition of the RSV.

Their long-term project of the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible has reached the point where the entire New Testament is available in one volume. That is a great resource I would definitely recommend. Of course, at present, you need to buy their regular Bible to get the Old Testament. 🙂
 
We started purchasing the Ignatius Study Bibles book by book (as they became available) and I highly recommend them. The commentaries are fairly extensive, but also easy to read. They especially help to place the Scriptures in the context of history and the Old Testament. I also like enjoy reading the Scriptures while referring to Haydock’s Commentary (free online at haydock1859.tripod.com/ ).
 
I am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
Yes :-).

RSV-CE (which is what the Ignatius Bible is) is my personal favorite translation. I find it to be a good ‘middle road’ between readability and slavish accuracy. Nine times out of ten, when I need to look up a passage, I look it up in the RSV-CE.

Of course, I would recommend you keep the NAB as well. It’s never a bad thing to have a few different translations available. I have the Ignatius Bible, Douay-Rheims, NAB, as well as a number of Protestant translations (for comparison, and leftovers from before my conversion).

God bless you!
 
Hi,

I agree with Joe, the RSV is the best Bible for English-speaking Catholics. This is partly because it’s in the King James tradition, which was a translation that was uniquely graced by the Holy Spirit. As Blessed John Henry Newman says,
At least in England, it has to a certain point made up for great and grievous losses in its Christianity. The reiteration again and again in fixed course in the public service of the words of inspired teachers under both Covenants, and that in grave majestic English, has in matter of fact been to our people a vast benefit. It has attuned their minds to religious thoughts; it has given them a high moral standard; it has served them in associating religion with compositions which, even humanly considered, are among the most sublime and beautiful ever written
However, I understand that the current edition from Ignatius Press is the RSV- Catholic Edition, Second Edition. This version omits many of the older forms such as ‘thou’. This change seems a shame to me, as the English of the King James version was archaic in places even when it was written. The Anglican divines who translated it (inspired by the uncovenanted Holy Spirit?) used archaic forms as a way of developing the “grave majestic English” that Blessed John Henry speaks of. It seems a shame to do away with that. I would look for a used copy of the 1945 RSV, Ignatius Catholic version.
 
Ignatius offers the RSV-CE with the ‘thees and thous’ and also offers the RSV-2CE without the ‘thees and thous’, both are good, it comes down to preference.
 
You can also get it in large print which I highly recommend.
 
The Ignatius Bible is my favorite version and the primary Bible I use. It is written in plain modern English unlike the DR version so it is easier to comprehend, and there were some translational errors in the DR not present in the Ignatius.
 
Ignatius offers the RSV-CE with the ‘thees and thous’ and also offers the RSV-2CE without the ‘thees and thous’, both are good, it comes down to preference.
That’s true; Ignatius still sells both editions. The 2nd edition is nice because it actually includes some headings, which make it easier to find what you’re looking for. The 1st edition has no headings and only a handful of footnotes.

I love Ignatius Press, and I trust most of what they put out, but it does somewhat unsettle me that a publisher would take the initiative to make editorial tweaks of a translation of the Bible. That’s the sort of project that should be undertaken by a team of scholars IMO. But the end result is still good.
 
So do I take it that the Ignatius Bible and the study editions are different things? Does the Ignatius Bible have annotations?
 
Yes, two different books. I have both and really like them. The study bible I have is on the new testament.
 
I have it, like it, and would recommend it. Especially if you prefer a slightly more formal wording.
 
I am thinking of purchasing the Ignatius Bible to replace my New American Catholic Study Bible because I heard it read aloud and liked the stateliness of the translation. Is this a good Bible to get?
YES!!!. Get it!.
 
The Ignatius Bible is my favorite version and the primary Bible I use. It is written in plain modern English unlike the DR version so it is easier to comprehend, and there were some translational errors in the DR not present in the Ignatius.
I would be interested in the translational errors in the DR. Can you tell me what and where they are in the DR? Thanks
 
So do I take it that the Ignatius Bible and the study editions are different things? Does the Ignatius Bible have annotations?
Yes, the Study Bible has the text of Scripture on the top half of the page and copious footnotes on the bottom half.
 
It’s my plan as well to purchase the Ignatius Bible when I return home. I own a nice pocket size NAB that I carry with me. NAB is the translation used for liturgical celebrations in the USA. Where I currently work in the Middle East, however, they use the RSV as in Britain, Australia, and other places.
The RSV-CE will also be more effective for ecumenical discussions. It is the same translation used by many of our non-Catholic brothers and sisters. I plan to purchase the zippered pocket size Ignatius Bible.
 
Yes, the Study Bible has the text of Scripture on the top half of the page and copious footnotes on the bottom half.
I was just looking at the Ignatius study bible in their catalog last night, I’ll probably purchase one this afternoon. Hopefully it helps with my studies. :yup:
 
I was just looking at the Ignatius study bible in their catalog last night, I’ll probably purchase one this afternoon. Hopefully it helps with my studies. :yup:
Nice. I hope you and your studies are enriched and blessed by it. 👍 I like it a lot.
 
I would be interested in the translational errors in the DR. Can you tell me what and where they are in the DR? Thanks
I know there are many grammatical errors which come from being translated two times over from hebrew/greek → latin → english but I don’t have a list of all of them, but if you google it im sure results will show up. But this doesn’t empty the DR of its beauty or validity as a good Bible, I own a very decorative copy myself, but because of some of the errors I choose to use other Bibles for study and apologetic purposes to make sure I don’t get into any grammatical disputes.

but two notable errors I noticed personally when reading were these two and the latter greatly confused me when speaking against the fundamentalist notion of the rapture.

Genesis 3:15 [15] I will put enmities between thee and the woman, and thy seed and her seed: she shall crush thy head, and thou shalt lie in wait for her heel.

The DR says the woman will crush the serpents head, by using “She” but it should be translated as “he” a prophetic foreshadowing of Jesus.

This doesn’t make for much theological controversy because it is the woman’s seed that triumphs over the serpent (Jesus) so in the end it doesn’t change anything theologically speaking but it really should be he and not she according the original Hebrew.

and in 1 Corinthians 15:51-53 it is written in the DR:

[51] Behold, I tell you a mystery. We shall all indeed rise again: but we shall not all be changed. [52] In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall rise again incorruptible: and we shall be changed. [53] For this corruptible must put on incorruption; and this mortal must put on immortality.

There is no “not” in the underlined portion, so it should say “We shall all be changed” and the translation contradicts itself in verse 52 by saying “we shall be changed.” But in the greek there is no “not” in the underlined portion.

Seemingly minor stuff, but it can be greatly confusing when trying to understand certain passages or try to discuss things with other people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top