Illinois Pharmacists FORCED to fill pill prescriptions

  • Thread starter Thread starter demolitionman65
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unclear on this case. Is the governor trying to enforce a rule which requires **every **practicing pharmacist to fill **every **legally prescribed drug requested of him/her? That just seems ludicrous. Or is it more specific than this?
 
Racer X:
I am unclear on this case. Is the governor trying to enforce a rule which requires **every **practicing pharmacist to fill **every **legally prescribed drug requested of him/her? That just seems ludicrous. Or is it more specific than this?
More specific. In fact, a pharmacist can refuse so long as another parmacist is on staff to fill it. I think it is specific to “plan B pills” and stuff like that right now. It is only in effect until September, after which a real law would have to be passed in the usual fashion.

But the law lets a pharmacy NOT STOCK the drug if they so desire. And if they don’t stock it, they don’t have to fill it. However, they will probably have to transfer the perscription to a pharmacy that does stock it.
If over-the-counter sales are allowed, experts on the issue say, pharmacists who do not want to provide the pill on moral grounds could simply decide not to stock it, which current state laws already allow them to do. If a large drugstore chain decided to stock it, but an individual pharmacist in the chain objected, such a dispute might be governed by the employment agreements between the chain and the pharmacist.
NewYork Times, April 19, 2005 MONICA DAVEY and PAM* BELLUCK*
 
40.png
Pug:
But the law lets a pharmacy NOT STOCK the drug if they so desire. And if they don’t stock it, they don’t have to fill it. However, they will probably have to transfer the perscription to a pharmacy that does stock it.
Thank you. Whew! Things aren’t as out of control as I feared.
 
Has the church spoken definitively on whether or not pharmacists can dispense birth control?
 
Brief sidetrack…

This is one of the reasons I am leery of voting in favor of school vouchers. Who really thinks private schools would continue to be free to teach what they believe?
 
Steve Andersen:
I suppose that, as a regulated profession, the state has considerable juristiction over them.

but I still don’t get the legal principle that they are basing this on.

Plumbers and lawyers are licenced profesionals and they don’t have to take on every client that walks through the door.

this is interesting
But you may not have a choice of pharmacist. There used to be four drugstore chains in my area that accepted my insurance plan, not there are two and only one has a location convenient to me (since I don’t drive).

I don’t know what the legal theory is either but it looks almost as if they are treating pharmacies like “common carriers” that do have to serve anyone who walks in the door and can pay.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top