I'm struggling in my denomination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christ said he would send the paraclete to guide the church into all truth. Also, that he’ll would not prevail against it. You can trust God will protect His church from error.
He will. This is an ongoing event, not a static statement. The Catholic Catechism says the Spirit uses these different “communities “.
Why would anyone deny that the Spirit is moving in the hearts of all believers, not just Catholics?

Does affirming that others do not have the Catholic fullness of Truth but rather have parts of truth mean that the others do not have the leading of the Holy Spirit?
My perspective on this is to say that the Church (and not the individuals in the church) has the fullness of truth. It’s what I love about Catholicism - the faith is so much bigger than what my mind or any one mind can fully grasp. If God denied the Holy Spirit to those with finite understanding, none of us would qualify.

The Holy Spirit may always leads me but I do not always follow so well. Yet He continues to call me and love me and urge me on to holinesss nonetheless.

To the OP, John, I’m so glad you’re struggling with the issue of authority. I think it shows some deeper thinking on your part. I am a revert, back in the church after many years outside of it.

When I began re-investigating Catholicism and its differences from evangelicalism, issue by issue, I always - ALWAYS - found myself (in a sense) having dug through the specific issue to the deeper issue of authority.

So often on an issue I’d encounter two opposing but both solid sounding arguments. Which raised the question in me, which one to believe? Which raised another question. Did God leave his church, and all his people, his sheep, shepherd-less? When a difference of opinion exists between two honest seeking believers, and those two points of view are incompatible with each other, did God really leave individual believers alone to drift to one side or the other? In the end, I could no longer believe in this shepherd-less church model.

The only church with a legitimate claim to this mantle of authority is the Catholic church.

I’ve also thought it would be unconscionable of God to leave humanity shepherd-less in the long years before the invention of the printing press.

So for me it’s not like I found one or two or five scripture verses that convinced me the Catholic Church had this authority from God. Nor did I accept its authority because I ended up understanding and agreeing with the Catholic position on every issue. I just could no longer accept a world without a church with that authority.

I also realized that accepting the authority of the church would mean me very specifically bowing my knee, and my intellect, on certain issues that I still had with the Catholic view of things. But the positive side of that, is the sense that the faith is so much bigger than me, so much bigger than just my mind. And I like the extra dose of humility it pushes me to.

God bless you John.

This is proving to be really tough for me because I sincerely believe that Jesus meant to create just one church.
He did, and that one Church is the Catholic Church. Just have faith and believe it, then you will have peace.

I was brought up Catholic but drifted away from Christianity after I left school. After many years of ‘wandering the wilderness’, I came back to Christianity via various non-Catholic denominations, but none of them satisfied me theologically. It was only when I began studying Catholic theology that I came to realize that the Catholic Church was the one, true Church founded by Christ.
I’ve come to accept all her doctrines and authority without question, because the Catholic Church is the “fullness” of Christ (Eph 1:22-23) and is the “pillar and foundation of the truth” (1Tim 3:15). To accept the authority and teachings of the CC is to accept the authority and teachings of Christ, and Christ did not intend that there be more than one Church.

Last edited:
How is this determined? I can get two people in a room to discuss Matthew 25 and it’s implications for how to orient our lives and come up with radically different perspectives.
/

4-good-samaritan-luke-1025-37)

3. The Four Soils (Matthew 13:1-23; Mark 4:1-20; Luke 8:1-15)​

The answer is the 4 types of soil.
When we understand this we got it

PPT TITLE

Main Point: We want to have a teachable heart where God’s truth can produce good fruit.

Key Verse:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back