Impeachment Collection

  • Thread starter Thread starter Theo520
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good. Then please consider editing your posts to remove the suggestions made that I was babbling about national security information on an open forum.
I didn’t ask him that, but assume that Senator still holds a clearance, and maintains some involvement in affairs of state.
In dropping Kerrey’s name, you implied that you have access to information that the rest of us wouldn’t have access to. While I consider editing my posts, you may want to do the same to remove the suggestion that your access to a former Senator gives you information beyond the rest of us.
 
Last edited:
In dropping Kerrey’s name, you implied that you have access to information that the rest of us wouldn’t have access to.
I implied not such thing and made no such suggestion.

I had a brief conversation with a distinguished moderate Senator, who served before this era of hyper-polarized partisan politics. I had a chance to engage with him for a moment on the current state of politics. I thought the perspective of a seasoned statesman with no ulterior motives woudl be of interest.
 
How on earth is my expressing an opinion about his getting briefings suggestive of anything other than my opinion about his getting briefings?
 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...70f78c156e8_story.html?utm_term=.8d3c11437824

When President Trump finished the first official rally of his reelection campaign this week, he got on Air Force One. But he didn’t go home to Washington. Instead, he flew 190 miles in the opposite direction — to visit his own Doral golf resort, outside Miami.

The resort’s profits have fallen since Trump took office. But it had a major event planned for the next day, a fundraiser for Trump’s reelection campaign.

It would be his 126th visit to one of his properties since taking office. And this visit — like more than a dozen before it — would bring paying customers, allowing Trump to play a double role.

The president would be the headliner and the caterer.

Trump has bigger designs for the Doral club: He has suggested holding next year’s Group of Seven meeting — a gathering of world leaders — at Doral or another of his luxury resorts, current and former White House staffers said.

He just doesn’t get it.
 
Whenever he goes to Mar a lago, the government pays and he profits.

It isn’t like when Bush would go to his ranch. Mar a lago is a for profit country club.

So what if he doesn’t take a salary?
 
So what if he doesn’t take a salary?
That’s part of the con. He has monetized his campaigning and his presidency and seem so be making out very well on that score. Meanwhile, he puts on the appearance of magnanimity by proclaiming that his is giving his salary to charity. Some might say that he is a “master”.
 
That’s part of the con. He has monetized his campaigning and his presidency and seem so be making out very well on that score. Meanwhile, he puts on the appearance of magnanimity by proclaiming that his is giving his salary to charity. Some might say that he is a “master”.
That’s a lot of accusation with nothing backing it. Please cite some examples.
 
Robert, if you can’t see that by paying attention the last few years, more posted examples aren’t going to help.
Over the last fee year I see a lot hate filled opinions posted about DT with no facts to back them up.

Seriously, at least cite SOMETHING. “Trump is a big orange meanie!” isn’t a logical argument.
 
A top-shelf, closed-door drinking session. $546-a-night hotel rooms. A special government credit card for Mar-a-Lago. Taxpayers foot the costs — and the president profits.
Don’t be ridiculous, that’s an HR problem, not a strategy by Trump to milk the Govt. Usually when employees exceed their allowed limits, it comes out of their salaries or at least is noted in their files.
 
That’s a lot of accusation with nothing backing it.
What do you need? Is it somehow unclear to you that Trump feeds his businesses with campaign and government money? The article in post #611 is one case in point.
“Trump is a big orange meanie!” isn’t a logical argument.
You are, AFAIK, the only one who posted: “Trump is a big orange meanie!”
 
Last edited:
Over the last fee year I see a lot hate filled opinions posted about DT with no facts to back them up.



 

From the article
It also found that $60,000 was paid to Mar-a-Lago in expenses for the four trips, most of that for rooms at the resort for Secret Service agents. The report noted, however, that most agents did not stay at Mar-a-Lago.
Using my handy dandy calculator, I came up with $15,000 a visit. As of Feb, 19, 2019, he had gone 19 times. Potentially 19 times $15,000 = $285,000 just for that resort. if each of those visits averaged 4 days, that is about 3750/day

He has spent at least 285 days at his various resorts. $3750 times 285 = $1,068,750. Just for some of the Secret Service. This does not include any other government employees that might be expensing stays at the properties.
 
Lots of insinuations in the Democrat WaPo, but they never do demonstrate that the money spent a) represents anything over cost, or b) is in any way unusual in amount.

What WaPo does say (whether truthfully or not) is that the Trump name is enough to draw fire. Attacking facilities bearing The Trump name is sort of like attacking the McDonalds on Sunshine in Springfield for something the McDonald’s corporation did. Most “Trump” facilities lease the name but are owned by others.
 
Well, he has a way to go yet to reach Obama’s $100 million trip to Africa, which had no governmental purpose at all. And of course, there was Michelle’s visit to Spain to hobnob with the queen. Again, no governmental purpose. Obama himself didn’t even go.

But that was Democrats, so nobody complaining about TRump complained about the Obama expenditures. All of it is just political.

One does wonder, though, about the profligacy expected by so many who deal with the U.S. government, including the big spending UN officials whose tabs we largely pick up. WaPo complains about the cost, but can the U.S. government insist that dignitaries of all sorts stay at the Holiday Inn somewhere in Northern Virginia?

And complaining about a $1,000 liquor bill? Has the writer of this article never paid for a daughter’s wedding reception? $1,000 wouldn’t begin to pay for the liquor bill for many of them, including my daughters’.
 
Last edited:
Nice deflection. I was just estimating how much Trump companies received from charging the Secret Service, not how much has been spent totally. That is a different subject.

And lots of people (possibly even you) complained about Obama’s trips. I remember Trump himself complained. Didn’t Trump say something about he wouldn’t ever have time to play golf or visit his properties, he’d be too busy working in the White House?
 
Last edited:
And lots of people (possibly even you) complained about Obama’s trips
I probably did, and should have, at least for that 2013 Africa trip which had no governmental purpose at all, but cost $100 million. Do I have a complaint about a $546 room for secret service when they’re guarding the president in that facility? If I knew how much of that was profit (if any) I might. But again, should the president stay at Day’s Inn so the secret service wouldn’t cost so much? It would be a nice gesture, I guess, but I doubt we’ll ever see it. It’s like complaining about Obama sending an airliner to St. Louis for a pizza. I have personally never paid $546/night for a hotel room, but I sure have paid half that for a very nice room in a conveniently located hotel in Kansas City. I doubt I’ll ever stay in a super-luxury hotel in Florida. Even the Royal Orleans is a bit rich for my blood. But I’m not the president setting up meetings with the premier of China, either.
 
Last edited:
Would you charge guests for staying at your house? That is what people are refusing to admit Trump is doing. Trump is making money when he or people with business before him stay at his hotels. And that in prohibited in the Constitution of the United States.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top