In Case POTUS dies before the Election?

• Thread starter Thread starter RidgeSprinter
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RidgeSprinter

Since POTUS is in the High Risk Category.

What happens to the Republican Ticket?

Last edited:
Despite being unprecedented, there are established processes for the selection of new presidential candidates, and these would take centre stage.

According to the rules of the Republican National Committee (RNC), a vacancy for the candidacy in the case of death would be filled in the same manner that a presidential candidate is selected during the national convention.

The 168 members of the RNC - three from every US state, and three from the six territories of the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands - would cast their votes and the candidate would be elected by a majority.

It is a requirement for the RNC to re-elect their new presidential candidate and so it would not automatically fall to the current vice president Mike Pence , although he would constitutionally be required to fill the role of president in the interim period.

According to the rules of the Republican National Committee (RNC), a vacancy for the candidacy in the case of death would be filled in the same manner that a presidential candidate is selected during the national convention.
That’s all fine and good but several states have deadlines for the printing of ballots. After the names are printed, nothing gets changed on the ballot.

I don’t know if an additional or alternate name could be included.

I’m sure Pompeo would be happy to step in on short notice.

That’s all fine and good but several states have deadlines for the printing of ballots. After the names are printed, nothing gets changed on the ballot.

I guess the new name would have to rely on a “Write In”?

I guess the new name would have to rely on a “Write In”?
I’m wondering if they could still mark “Trump” and that go towards the new person. Or would there be a legal problem with that?

At the end of the day the electoral college chooses the president. So perhaps such votes could be taken as information for them to make their decisions.

Last edited:
You seem to forget the voting has already started.
People began voting in September.

So what that means I don’t know.

We still have the electoral college. If the RNC selected a candidate to run against Biden, they could simply instruct all the electors chosen for Trump/Biden to vote for the new nominee. Or let it go and let Mike Pence nominate a new VP in January. That is a risky move. If something would happen to him, President Pelosi. 😱

We still have the electoral college. If the RNC selected a candidate to run against Biden, they could simply instruct all the electors chosen for Trump/Biden to vote for the new nominee. Or let it go and let Mike Pence nominate a new VP in January. That is a risky move. If something would happen to him, President Pelosi. 😱
As one who has absolutely no use for Donald Trump, even I have to admit to being appalled at the idea of a President Pelosi. Personally, I hope Trump and Biden both remain healthy enough to remain on the ballot. I don’t know if we can survive any more upheaval where this election is concerned.

Or let it go and let Mike Pence nominate a new VP in January.
I wonder if there were people who would vote for Trump for president that also would not vote for Pence for president.

You seem to forget the voting has already started.
People began voting in September.

So what that means I don’t know.
I mentioned this in another thread. Not sure either how that will be handled, but if people voted for someone who passes away before the election–I guess that’s that. Too bad.

That’s one reason I plan to be up at 4:00 a.m. on Election Day, in line down at my polling place, and cast my vote in person. I SHOULD still be on medical leave for my knee replacement, and if not, I will make SURE that I have that day and the next off. Last election, I was up until around 4:00 a.m.–I was one of the people running out into my street cheering when Donald Trump was declared the winner. i knew that I had witnessed a miracle! I would have bet my house and my car that Donald Trump would lose–good thing I didn’t make that bet!

@Peeps

Let’s pray for another miracle - that he wins a 2nd time!

The other question would be if there are more of them then those who would never vote for Trump, by would for Pence.

Pence doesn’t have Trump’s ‘kavorka,’ is my assessment.

He’s getting ready to go home from the hospital, so I’m guessing death is not imminent at this time.

Of course, Biden could also go at any moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back