In Conversation with God

• Thread starter Thread starter trimont
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trimont

I’ve recently discovered Francis Fernandez’ series of prayer books entitled In Conversation with God. Written in 1987, how could I have missed out on these treasures for so long? I began using it daily last Ash Wednesday and find this resource to be incredibly rich and challenging. Does anyone out there use this tool in their prayer life?

Yes, I do. And yes, those seven volumes are of tremendous help to any Christian who wishes to live in a more authentic and radical, but wholly “realistic,” manner his/her baptismal call to holiness.

I wonder if they will be “updated” to take into account the “second half” of JPII’s pontificate, since the daily meditations so frequently draw from his encyclicals and homilies. Also, the two volumes that cover the Proper of Saints are pretty “thin” at present – perhaps the author(s) is working on expanded volumes in that context.

Buy the seven volume set here . . .

amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0906138191/qid=1085361723/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/002-4641350-6596009

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

40.png
trimont:
I’ve recently discovered Francis Fernandez’ series of prayer books entitled In Conversation with God. Written in 1987, how could I have missed out on these treasures for so long? I began using it daily last Ash Wednesday and find this resource to be incredibly rich and challenging. Does anyone out there use this tool in their prayer life?
The only thing I know about it…if it is the same set of books, (can’t be sure) is our dioceses found them to contain some doctrinal error and has said “Don’t buy them and don’t use them.”
I believe some publisher or other was pushing them for our Catholic Schools. Now as I said, the title’s the same as the one which is not kosher but I am not sure it is the same set of books.

My question is . . . what diocese?

Some diocese are “better” than others when it comes to judging the quality and orthodoxy of various materials, programs, etc.

For example, there is a diocese in Ohio where the bishop forbid his priests and visiting preachers to speak about Gibson’s Passion movie. There is also a diocese in Ohio where the bishop “kicked out” Regnum Christi and the Legionaires of Christ (could be the same diocese, not sure). . . and I’m sure there are lots of other examples where a judgment was made against orthodoxy or doctrinal fidelity and the judgment was, well, bogus.

In Conversation with God is put out by Scepter Publishers, wich is the publishing “arm” of Opus Dei, and the books are solidly orthodox – if someone tells you otherwise then they are either mistaken or they have a personal agenda or issue that really puts their own doctrinal fidelity in question. I personally have met several Catholic Church priests and lay employees for whom this is the case, and specifically regarding these books. Sometimes a judgment will be made automatically against anything Opus Dei “puts out” because as you may know, Opus Dei is not so highly regarded by many people within and without the Church.

40.png
whosebob:
My question is . . . what diocese?

Some diocese are “better” than others when it comes to judging the quality and orthodoxy of various materials, programs, etc.

For example, there is a diocese in Ohio where the bishop forbid his priests and visiting preachers to speak about Gibson’s Passion movie. There is also a diocese in Ohio where the bishop “kicked out” Regnum Christi and the Legionaires of Christ (could be the same diocese, not sure). . . and I’m sure there are lots of other examples where a judgment was made against orthodoxy or doctrinal fidelity and the judgment was, well, bogus.

In Conversation with God is put out by Scepter Publishers, wich is the publishing “arm” of Opus Dei, and the books are solidly orthodox – if someone tells you otherwise then they are either mistaken or they have a personal agenda or issue that really puts their own doctrinal fidelity in question. I personally have met several Catholic Church priests and lay employees for whom this is the case, and specifically regarding these books. Sometimes a judgment will be made automatically against anything Opus Dei “puts out” because as you may know, Opus Dei is not so highly regarded by many people within and without the Church.

If it is the Opus Dei one, then that is not the one I am talking about. The one that we are urged to avoid is written in very New Age, gender sesitive (gag!) language. Mother God strike a bell?

40.png
whosebob:
I wonder if they will be “updated” to take into account the “second half” of JPII’s pontificate, since the daily meditations so frequently draw from his encyclicals and homilies…
I’d love to see them updated, as well. Francis Fernandez seems to have a gift for gathering the relevant - I see he’s published an anthology of 6,000 quotes from spiritual writers throughout the ages. Another title that looks very interesting is Lukewarmness - the Devil in Disguise. Any reviews out there?

(whosebob) - Since you use these, maybe you can verify that next Monday we move on to Volume 3, with the 9th Wk, Monday? Something there seemed a week off, not sure why. Maybe you can let me know? Thanks.

BTW, whosebob left a link to order the 7 volume set which is a little expensive if you’re not sure. Here’s a link where you can buy them separately…more affordable this way if you’d like to check it out before investing in the whole set. (Definitely worth checking out!!!)

catholiccompany.com/display_results.cfm?category=262

I really like these books. My own catechesis was very sketchy, and I particularly enjoy the books’ emphasis on learning how to implement the virtues and mortifications in my life. It is helping me to become more “Catholic” even though I hadn’t been taught it when young by reason of an early Confirmation, my own family’s lack of religious fervor, and no more formation after that until Spirit-driven in adulthood…

trimont said:
(whosebob) - Since you use these, maybe you can verify that next Monday we move on to Volume 3, with the 9th Wk, Monday? Something there seemed a week off, not sure why. Maybe you can let me know? Thanks.

Hi, trimont.

I just looked, and yes, you are correct – next Monday you would move to volume 3, starting with Monday of Week 9 in Ordinary Time. Also, you will need volume 6 if you would like to read the meditations that are specifically tailored to Trinity Sunday and the Feast of Corpus Christi (the two successive Sundays that always follow Pentecost and “replace” whatever “Sundays in Ordinary Time” they happen to be on top of, this year it’s Sundays 10 and 11).

Thanks, whosebob - I just ordered Volume 6 this morning, but should have it in time… Now I’m wondering what I’ve missed - but you did say those volumes are a little lacking?

Pax,
trimont

40.png
trimont:
Thanks, whosebob - I just ordered Volume 6 this morning, but should have it in time… Now I’m wondering what I’ve missed - but you did say those volumes are a little lacking?
By lacking (or I said “thin”) I meant that compared to the number of memorials, feasts, etc. in the Proper of Saints, the number of meditations in volumes 6 and 7 is relatively small. Maybe only 5%- 10% of that part of the Church’s calendar is “covered” by Fernandez, whereas he pretty much exhausts the Proper of Seasons (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, Eastertide, etc.). Again, though, that’s not to say the latter might not could be updated as we mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, if each celebration in the Proper of Saints were expounded upon, the book series would probably more than double in length – instead of volumes 6 and 7, you would probably have volumes 6 through 12! So maybe Fernandez deliberately chose the “highlights” he thought it important to cover and he plans to leave it at that.

BUT, the meditations in volumes 6 and 7 are just as rich as those in volumes 1 through 5 and I think it’s terrific you are adding at least half of them to your library.

40.png
Marie:
The only thing I know about it…if it is the same set of books, (can’t be sure) is our dioceses found them to contain some doctrinal error and has said “Don’t buy them and don’t use them.”
I believe some publisher or other was pushing them for our Catholic Schools. Now as I said, the title’s the same as the one which is not kosher but I am not sure it is the same set of books.
You could be thinking of the series called “Conversations With God” by Walsch which clearly does not conform to Catholic Church teaching. The books “In Conversation With God” by Fernandez which seems much better.

Be careful. “In Conversation with God” is the 7 volume Catholic set, but “Converstions with God” is a new age set of books that you want to avoid. Just double check.

40.png
trimont:
Another title that looks very interesting is Lukewarmness - the Devil in Disguise. Any reviews out there?
Excellent book when you need a kick in the pants. The kind of book you read on retreat. Buy it.

Betsy

I bought the seven volume set a few months ago at a retreat house run by the local Franciscan Sisters. I had never heard of the set. I flipped through a few of the volumes and couldn’t believe what a gem I found!

I use Magnificat Magazine for the daily Readings. Now I have a sound homily to go along with the Readings! Besides, the Franciscans will never lead you astray!! :bowdown2:

Ave Maria!
Amy

40.png
Amy:
I bought the seven volume set … and couldn’t believe what a gem I found!

I use Magnificat Magazine for the daily Readings. Now I have a sound homily to go along with the Readings! Ave Maria!
Amy
I agree, Amy.

I had been trying to get into the Liturgy of the Hours and was finding it a little confusing with the flipping around. When I discovered “In Conversation with God”, it was such a great find - and now I use that with the abbreviated readings throughout the day in Magnificat.

Works for me!

baltobetsy - I can always use a kick in the pants. Will send away for Lukewarmness - the Devil in Disguise today!

Yes, I do the Liturgy of the Hours (AKA Divine Office) as well. I am required to do so. I am about to become a novice if the Franciscan Tertiaries of the Immaculate on the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of the BVM on June 19. I’m so excited, I can barely sit still!! It has been two long years of writing almost every night. It has all been worth every minute.

So, I was an aspirant first, a postulant for a little over a year and will be a novice for one year, taking the “Marian Vow of Unlimited Consectation” and a religious name. My name will be Sr. Mary Agnes. The astetical and spiritual practices are pretty strict, but it’s just what I need! 🙂

Next year I will make my Profession, receive the habit, a religious title and then will renew my profession for two more years until I am fully Professed.

If you are interested, you can check out our website:
marymediatrix.com/

And the specific area of the site for the Tertiaties (Third Order) is at:
marymediatrix.com/rel_life/fti.shtml

Please keep me in your prayers as I embark on this new form of life. : pray:

Ave Maria!
Amy

If you are interested in learning the Liturgy of the Hours, there are a few web sites that can help.

First, EWTN has audio LOH on their home page that you can follow along with.

Another is liturgyhours.org/. This site has each day’s prayer on it’s site. This one is not audio, you can just pray the Office from the web page. It’s very easy to use and get the rhythm of the Office. However, you have to register and get the password. But there is no charge.

Another good audio site to follow along with is the Monks of Adoration LOH web site. The address is:
monksofadoration.org/audiolit.html

To get started, the second link would probably be the best since it has the entire Office of the day, each day on their page. No page flipping! 🙂

I hope this helps a little. Learning the Office is difficult. Email me if you want more info! Good Luck!

Ave Maria!
Amy

🙏 Amy, I just wanted to say ‘congratulations’, and that my prayers will begin for you and will continue until I am with the Lord. God Bless you always. Please keep us posted.

Cricket

cricker said:
🙏 Amy, I just wanted to say ‘congratulations’, and that my prayers will begin for you and will continue until I am with the Lord. God Bless you always. Please keep us posted.

Cricket

:amen: :blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back