India's booming kidney racket

• Thread starter Thread starter Dale_M
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dale_M

They were brought here by the police, who found them during a raid on an illegal clinic.
It was the first hint that they had stumbled on a massive racket involving millions of dollars and reaching out to all corners of India and even some countries abroad.
“Many men, mostly poor labourers, were brought here and their kidneys removed,” says Gurgaon police commissioner Mohinder Lal.
“They were offered between $1-2000. The recipients were wealthy clients in India and other countries. Some of them were from Greece, Arab countries, United States and one or two patients from European countries.”
news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7223157.stm

So many people need kidneys today. I think we should seriously consider allowing select people to sell kidneys.

How so? It would save lives and harm no one.
CCC…

**2296 **Organ transplants are in conformity with the moral law if the physical and psychological dangers and risks to the donor are proportionate to the good sought for the recipient. Organ donation after death is a noble and meritorious act and is to be encouraged as a expression of generous solidarity. It is not morally acceptable if the donor or his proxy has not given explicit consent. Moreover, it is not morally admissible to bring about the disabling mutilation or death of a human being, even in order to delay the death of other persons.

Emphasis mine.

I don’t think that someone who is being given money for their organ is giving ‘consent’. That consent is compromised by the money.

Prostitutes take money and give ‘consent’.

I don’t know where I stand on the issue of selling organs, but think about this:

The donor gets nothing monetarily for giving an organ (say a kidney), but everyone else involved gets paid. The agency that matches donor/recipient, the surgeon, scrub techs, nurses, anesthesiologists/crna, rad techs, ambulance service to trasnport the organs, etc. So whose to say the donor can’t get a piece of the money pie?

I don’t think that someone who is being given money for their organ is giving ‘consent’. That consent is compromised by the money.
I agree. The selling of human organs is inherently exploitive of the poorest persons, as seen in the article.

So many people need kidneys today. I think we should seriously consider allowing select people to sell kidneys.
We all know who would benefits from this. The rich.

Who would sell his/her organ unless he/she in desperate need for money?

Has the poor been oppressed enough?

We all know who would benefits from this. The rich.

Who would sell his/her organ unless he/she in desperate need for money?

Has the poor been oppressed enough?
You can always choose not to sell an organ you know. And there would be regulations on who could sell.

The article clearly states that some kidneys were removed without consent. Even with consent, I have serious objections to the selling of kidneys.

People are being conned, drugged and operated on without their consent. This has been going on for many years and used to be dismissed as urban legend. There are also scenarios where poor Indian husbands instruct their wives to sell a kidney (notice he doesn’t volunteer his) for the financial good of the family; since women of the culture are usually submissive, they do it.

The only way to avoid such exploitation is to ban all selling of organs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back