I read all three Hunger Games books and saw the first movie.
It was interesting watching Katniss fight. However… Nowhere did a I detect Katniss fighting for noble ends. It was “them versus us”. Period. That’s all.
Not much different from the sectarian fighting in Iraq today, Sunni Moslems versus Shiite Moslems versus Kurdish Moslems etc etc etc ad infinitum.
Did Katniss have any idea what kind of government would follow if she succeeded in overthrowing the current one? No. The third book didn’t describe it. We only learn the rebels have taken over.
Well, neither did Frodo. How could he know about what would happen to the kingdoms of men, or the elves, or the dwarves? He didn’t even know if the Shire was going to be all right. But he did know that if they didn’t stop Sauron, then everything beautiful in the world would be destroyed. It was worth taking that chance, no matter what followed.
The same is true of Katniss. Like Frodo, her power is limited. Unlike him, she doesn’t start our with a particularly noble purpose- she just wants to survive (although she does also want to protect Prim). But in the second book, she takes a stand against the government and outright rebels, because the current situation is intolerable. Because people are dying. You can call that “us versus them”, but the fact of the matter is that the government was well-established as an evil regime.
Far better is a story in which the girl struggles for noble ends,
**because she follows her conscience, **

and that conscience tells her that if she can do good
then she must because it is God’s will that she does so.
Katniss
was following her conscience, from the moment she said “I volunteer as tribute”. No, I don’t think
The Hunger Games is half the story that LOTR is. But it’s a story, it’s not a bad one, and the protagonist is indisputably a female with some heroic moments.
In Tolkien’s day it was inconceivable that a woman could be a courageous hero,
and besides that Frodo was in his twenties or thirties, not a teenage hero which was another inconceivable at the time. No author had dared using a teenage girl hero with noble ends.
It’s time for a change.
I thought he was in his fifties in the book, which was part of what made him cool- you don’t see too many everyman characters who are actually middle-aged, at least not anymore. I’d argue that teenage heroes
are pretty inconceivable, at least without quite a bit of luck involved, even in a historical or fantasy setting.
If it was really “inconceivable” for a young woman to be portrayed as a courageous hero, then LOTR itself flies in the face of societal expectations with the character of Eyown, the brave warrior who defeated the witch king. There may be problematic aspects to her character (most of which would be less problematic if she were not also the
only prominent female, besides
possibly Galadriel), but at the end of the day she does indeed inspire many girls, who see her as breaking free of her prescribed role in order to save the day.
She is not the only one. The Chronicles of Narnia were released in the same time span as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and while I haven’t read all of them, I know that most contain more than one child protagonist, usually including a female character. Whether saving Narnia constitutes a “noble end” may be up for dispute, but I would think it would be at least as noble as trying to save Middle Earth. Before that, girls were inspired by the protagonists of victorian literature like
Pride and Prejudice or
Jane Eyre, or by the varied and human portrayals of girls in
Little Women. They’re not fantasy heroes, but since modern fantasy only became popular in the wake of Tolkien’s work, I don’t think that’s much of a criticism.
So yes, I agree that we need more female protagonists. I want lots of female protagonists leading brilliant works of fiction. I don’t want to have to spend half a minute thinking of works that fit these criterion. I just don’t think the situation is quite as dire as you claim. The girls of today do have fictional heroes, and you shouldn’t discount them. At best, your protagonist will be added to the list beside Katniss Everdeen and Eyown. She will not replace them.
As for Tolkien precipating conversions, I agree it seems unlikely a book alone would convert somebody,
however,
somebody on another thread in this section not long ago claimed that the works of Flannery O’Connor converted him.
You never know.
That is true. People often come here by unusual paths.