Interreligious dialogue and conversion

• Thread starter Thread starter ontheway1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the article.
From the article.
What is the Lord saying? Many things to be sure, but let me suggest this essential teaching: Nothing, absolutely nothing, not even the service of the poor, takes precedence over the worship, honor, and obedience due to God. Nothing. If the service of the poor takes precedence over this, then it becomes an idol—an idol in sheep’s clothing—but an idol nonetheless.
We strive to worship, honour and obey our Lord, we give thanks for all the good things that he does for us. Justice for the poor and oppressed is one way in which we bring glory to God.

Scholars have taken a highlighter pen and have highlighted over two thousand passages in the Bible that refer to justice for the poor. Mathew 25 clearly says, what you do for the hungry, homeless the sick and the prisoner, so you do to me.

I truthfully believe that when faith groups work together for the common good, we do more for our communities. It may start from talking together. I am going to an interfaith meeting in a mosque on Wednesday, I am hopeful something good can come from it.
Blessings
Eric

By dialoguing and working with non-Catholics, you might be bringing them into communion with the Church in some ways and thus helping to save their souls.

I think a distinction needs to be made between intrareligious (i.e. ecumenical) dialogue within Christianity between different Christian communities versus interreligious dialogue between Christianity and other religions such as Islam, Judaism, etc.

The theological motivations overlap, but are otherwise very distinct.

Mathew 25 clearly says, what you do for the hungry, homeless the sick and the prisoner, so you do to me.
In the parallel passage in Mark, the apocalyptic discourse does not carry the same message. Matthew included it for a reason. In both gospels, the discourse is followed immediately by the story of the woman anointing Jesus. Mt 25 is the context for Mt 26:6-11, at least for the author of this gospel.

This means that these two quotes should be read together:
whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me. Mt 25:40.
The poor you will always have with you; but you will not always have me. Mt 26:8.
These sound like opposites of one another. Both principles must be held together, not set against one another as the linked blog from @po18guy portrays it. I honestly do not know how to do that, but it is obvious both were important to the evangelist.

To bring it to the topic of the thread, there is this paair of quotes:
wherever this gospel is proclaimed in the whole world, what she has done will be spoken of, in memory of her. Mt 26:11
Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.
Mt 28:19-20
Jesus’ prophecy about the woman is also a prophecy about the evangelizing mission he gives to the Church at the close of the gospel. These three episodes say something profound about Jesus: in the least brothers whom you will always have with you, I am with you.

Our bishop is organising an interfaith meeting in response to Pope Francis.

Inter-religious Anniversary
The Pope visited the Abu Dhabi in January. He said at the time that he hoped his visit would be an important opportunity "to advance inter-religious dialogue and mutual understanding between the followers of both religions (Christianity and Islam) in this year that marks the 800th anniversary of the historic meeting between St. Francis of Assisi and Sultan al-Malik al-Kamil” of Egypt.

The Abu Dhabi document contains statements that directly contradict Catholic faith. Denying your own faith can not be the goal of interfaith dialogues.

Much has been said and written about interreligious dialogue and ecumenism as they pertain to non-Christian and Christian groups respectively. What is the purpose of this dialogue if it does not lead ultimately to conversion of non-Catholics and to saving of souls?
It’s always good to keep dialogue going… even if it doesn’t seem to our understanding to be productive at the time. It also can keep Catholics, Catholic by constantly giving information and giving answers to questions that continuously come up

Understanding. If you believe each and every human being is made in the image and likeness of God, then it stands to reason you will want to know and understand as many as possible, I would think.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back