My understanding is that yes it is, because it denies the reality created by God.Is lying ALWAYS a sin? What if a co-worker at your job asks you in passing “How are you?” and you answer according to etiquette and script, “OK” or “Not bad,” even though you are feeling not good emotionally?
“Generally not expected to be buzzing with happiness, positivity, and enthusiasm” itself being an understatement.Although it might be easier in the UK where we typically understate things anyway, and I think we’re not generally expected to be buzzing with happiness, positivity and enthusiasm.
You can also say, “I’ve found that what’s really important is how it makes you feel. If you don’t feel it makes you look good you aren’t going to enjoy wearing it, and that look on your face when you feel you look good is of course what looks best on anybody. So–does it make you feel good?”Wife: Does this make my butt look big/how does this look on me/etc.
Me: I am not authorized to have an opinion.
This approach has served me well in these and other situations.
I think perhaps we get suspicious of people who don’t complain. I think over- enthusiasm is often seen as a bit strange and a slightly annoying trait.Most people from all over the world would agree that culturally, British people really complain a lot.
If his attention makes you feel uncomfortable, I can understand why you were tempted to lie. Practice so that in the future you can say, “It was kind of you to ask, but no thank you.” If he says “why not?” you can say, “I don’t feel comfortable with it, which may be nothing, as you seem like a nice fellow, but I’ve learned to trust that. I’m sorry; I hope that doesn’t offend you. It was a nice invitation and it was good of you to ask. I’m sure I will turn down lots of great invitations for being like this, but I am what I am and I feel much better since I’ve learned to trust myself. So sorry.”Hi, just have a personal situation I want some guidance on. A man asked me to go to an event with him and I lied and said I was sick. I lied because his attention makes me feel uncomfortable and also because my mother disapproves of him. I feel bad for lying but also relieved that I didn’t have to spend time with him. Does anyone think that what I did was mortally sinful?
Well, saying you’re sick when you aren’t is a lie, unless by “sick” she meant “the thought of going out with you alone makes me want to throw up.” That’s a stretch, I’d say.He had no right to know so therefore it was not a lie!
So if soldiers showed up at my door & said, “Are there any Jews in there?” Am I morally compelled to tell them I have Anne Frank hiding in the attic?Is lying ALWAYS a sin?
Generally, you are right goout. But it is asked, in a serious way, as a confirmation of one’s feelings. I have asked my wife the same question just because I didn’t (and still don’t) think I deserve it.Wozza:![]()
As an aside to the topic, that question is a sign of big trouble in a marriage. (if asked in a serious way not in teasing etc)Tis_Bearself:![]()
Indeed. There are questions that demand an honest answer (‘do you love me’).It’s not really a lie. Wozza’s wife isn’t expecting a truthful answer. It’s similar to what Scarlet said about the work mate who says “How are you?” as a polite social gesture. He doesn’t really want to know about your true mood or feelings.
Now, if a wife was like a couple of the women who posted here who truly want an honest opinion, and husband understood that and lied, it might be something to mention in confession.
If someone makes an excuse for herself that you did not wrongly force her to give, you absolutely do have the right to have her tell you the truth. You may not have the right to any excuse at all, but if someone chooses to give you an excuse you normally have the right to expect that it will be true.It isnt a lie if a person has no right to know. Lying is sinful because charity demands to give each person their due. It isnt sinful just because a rule somewhere says it is sinful.
A person plying for illicit information does not deserve the answer.
Killing isnt always murder and deception isnt always lying. If you wanted to be really pedantic about it, there are fun board games or brain games that might involve “lying” to other players.
We’ve been over this many times on past threads. The Catechism removed the past portion of the teaching saying a lie was withholding the truth from someone who had a right to know. Now it just says a lie is withholding the truth, period, which has led to all the discussion on many threads about “what if Nazis or communists are asking” etc. In the past one would just say Nazis don’t have a right to know. Now we have to use common sense.It isnt a lie if a person has no right to know.
This is a mistake, many people believe this error. It is not part of Catholic teaching.He had no right to know so therefore it was not a lie!
It depends. In this case I’d say no.Hi, just have a personal situation I want some guidance on. A man asked me to go to an event with him and I lied and said I was sick. I lied because his attention makes me feel uncomfortable and also because my mother disapproves of him. I feel bad for lying but also relieved that I didn’t have to spend time with him. Does anyone think that what I did was mortally sinful?
And this is why single quoting lines from the Catechism can sometimes be just as misleading as single quoting passages of Scripture, because the Catechism is primarily written to and for the bishops and it is not a compendium that delves into every fine detail of morality or spirituality or religion and the Congregation on the Doctrine of Faith openly admits to this.We’ve been over this many times on past threads. The Catechism removed the past portion of the teaching saying a lie was withholding the truth from someone who had a right to know. Now it just says a lie is withholding the truth, period, which has led to all the discussion…