Is asexuality a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gingertoast
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gingertoast

Guest
I would consider myself both asexual and aromantic, meaning I don’t find sexual or romantic attraction to anyone no matter what. But apparently some Catholics believe that it might be seen as a thing where you’re trying to go above God and therefore you’re suddenly “exempt” from one of the seven deadly sins (lust). I really don’t think this for myself, I am not above God or anyone else nor will I ever try to be above him. Is me being like this a horrible thing? And to add on to it I’m also celibate, does all of this go against the Bible in any way??
 
Last edited:
There’s no sin or grave matter in it. You may want to check with a doctor, but you’re not morally obligated to. And the Church has long celebrated the celibate life.
 
It’s not a sin in any way.

I don’t know who these “some Catholics” are whom you are talking to, but they certainly have some strange ideas. Perhaps you might want to limit your discussions with them.

As for being celibate, as long as you’re not married and refusing your spouse’s romantic overtures, it’s never a problem or a sin to be celibate.
 
Last edited:
I would consider myself both asexual and aromantic, meaning I don’t find sexual or romantic attraction to anyone no matter what.
You should consult your doctor.
But apparently some Catholics believe that it might be seen as a thing where you’re trying to go above God and therefore you’re suddenly “exempt” from one of the seven deadly sins (lust).
Um, I really don’t know who all these “some Catholics” are that people post about so frequently on here. I guess the internet does allow all sorts of nutty people to come into your awareness.
Is me being like this a horrible thing?
It isn’t a typical thing. It could have physical or psychological underpinnings. Get checked out.
And to add on to it I’m also celibate, does all of this go against the Bible in any way??
What makes you think it does?
 
“Some Catholics” don’t know what they are talking about, and give erroneous advice…even here on Catholic Answers Forums.

May the LORD bless you and keep you and make His face to shine upon you,
Deacon Christopher
 
How do you feel about the Lord Jesus?

Your answer will be found before Him.

Do not listen to other voices.
 
Last edited:
Gingertoast, from your othwr thread you are still a minor. You are not strange in any way and as a minor really should not concern yourself with this.
 
No, it’s not a sin in the slightest. Sometimes people become intimidated or envious of another person’s state and this causes them to say things that are irrational or wicked.

This is especially true if you are a young adult or a minor, because some adults (incorrectly) believe that they have the right to talk over a minor. They say things to young people that they wouldn’t dare say to somebody in the same age bracket, and they masquerade it as discipline or instruction when it is simply a lack of self-control.

This appropriate response is to pray for them.

As far as asexual people being exempt from lust, this is a pretty superficial way of looking at sin. All of the various vices are subsets of a single vice, which is a manifested desire to replace God’s reality with one’s own reality. So a person who isn’t tempted or seldomly tempted in a particular area can and will still struggle immensely.
 
Last edited:
And to add on to it I’m also celibate, does all of this go against the Bible in any way??
If you’re not married (Catholics correct me please if I say anythingwrong) you SHOULD be celibate under Catholic teaching. Sex is for marriage only between a husband and wife.

I don’t know how old you are, but just to be safe please make sure your body is functioning correctly by please seeing a doctor about your Asexuality.

Also talk to a priest if you’d like about your question.
 
Okay, I’ll bite. I’ll play “some Catholics” advocate.
The reason why “some Catholics” see asexuality as a sin because some people take it too far.

A normal person that experiences asexuality, we wouldn’t call them asexual we would just call them celibate. Said person recognizes and accepts the gender that good God in heaven asigned to that said person at birth. Where people take their asexuality too far is when you start identifying as an alphabet person. You see your asexuality as an excuse to say that you have no gender or that your gender is fluid. Which is obviously wrong.

So my theory in the how these “some Catholics” are thinking is they love you so much that they’re concerned that you’re a sexuality might turn into a full-blown gender dysphoria. Some of the other posters here suggest that you should probably see a doctor just to be safe. If I were you I would probably see the doctor just to make sure you’re not experiencing any hormone imbalances. If the doctor(s) say that everything is completely fine and you’re not experiencing any hormone imbalance, then consider your asexuality a blessing in considered becoming a monastic. Not having to worry about getting married or finding a mate frees up a lot of your time. Time you could dedicate to Worship in our Lord and providing good works so you could bring Him good fruit.
 
Hi Gingertoast,

This sounds like a medical issue to me and medical causes are not sin.
Have you considered whether you could have Autism as some people with Autism experience being unable to feel romantic connections or love towards their family?
An analogy is like how blind people have physical blindness,some with Autism can have “emotional blindness”.

If you are young,it might even be the case that you will be able to experience this as you get older and mature cognitively and emotion and from observations around you.

Is it that you can’t personally feel attraction or love or is it also that you are unable to perceive these feelings in other people?
For example if you watch a movie with romance or sexual chemistry or a dating show like First Dates are you able to grasp what they are feeling and how their date is going or not really?


Some people unfortunately may offer poor advice/(name removed by moderator)ut because of ignorance or not understanding but I definitely don’t believe it is “trying to act above God” etc.
 
Last edited:
St Paul actually has only kind words to share on such matters.

1 Corinthians 7

To Be Married, to Be Single . . .
 
Okay, I’ll bite. I’ll play “some Catholics” advocate.
The reason why “some Catholics” see asexuality as a sin because some people take it too far.

A normal person that experiences asexuality, we wouldn’t call them asexual we would just call them celibate. Said person recognizes and accepts the gender that good God in heaven asigned to that said person at birth. Where people take their asexuality too far is when you start identifying as an alphabet person. You see your asexuality as an excuse to say that you have no gender or that your gender is fluid. Which is obviously wrong.

So my theory in the how these “some Catholics” are thinking is they love you so much that they’re concerned that you’re a sexuality might turn into a full-blown gender dysphoria. Some of the other posters here suggest that you should probably see a doctor just to be safe. If I were you I would probably see the doctor just to make sure you’re not experiencing any hormone imbalances. If the doctor(s) say that everything is completely fine and you’re not experiencing any hormone imbalance, then consider your asexuality a blessing in considered becoming a monastic. Not having to worry about getting married or finding a mate frees up a lot of your time. Time you could dedicate to Worship in our Lord and providing good works so you could bring Him good fruit.
Asexuality is a lack of sexual attraction to anyone of either gender. It has zero to do with whether the person identifies as male or female or other, and so is zero to do with gender dysphoria.

Possibly it may be an indication of psychological issues such as depression or whatnot. But not gender dysphoria.
 
Last edited:
I didn’t say that asexuality is gender dysphoria, I said that it can lead to gender dysphoria. I’ve seen it with my own two eyes people who claim they are asexual and then years later said that they have no gender. It’s tragic and probably related to depression, hence why I suggest OP see a doctor to check for hormone imbalances.
 
Last edited:
How come most of you said for me to see a doctor? I’m fine, I promise.
 
Last edited:
There’s Nothing wrong with being celibate.

However, there could “potentially” be underlying causes making you to feel asexual and aromantic.
 
Everyone is male or female. There is no asexual. If one is merely talking about attraction or lack of attraction, that is really immaterial. People can be attracted or not attracted to a variety of people or things. That has nothing to do with one’s identity as a man or woman. Feelings can change. One’s sex does not. But there’s nothing wrong with not having feelings of sexual attraction, especially at an early age. Nobody is required to be romantic!
 
I’m female, and always will be. I just am not attracted to guys or girls in any way shape or form and never have been.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top