Is breaking a dumb law a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter b04b03
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, you are missing the big picture. I said people should follow the law as it is or work to change it. That is what I meant people have been saying all along. Because that is where the thread started out, is breaking a dumb law a sin.
 
That’s your choice.

However, you do run the risk of being cited.
 
I’m not missing the picture. People were arguing that golf carts should not be on the streets, period. Do I need to quote them? They were not qualifying whether it was legal or not.
 
That’s debatable and numerous factors would have to be considered.
 
It has to do that, at first sight, a law that forbid to drive a goft cart on a city street seems not being amatter of morality/immorlity or a matter of conscience.
So, we should obey this law or choose to break it deliberately and accept the consequences provided by the law (“punishmement”)
 
Last edited:
Probably not. We typically don’t sit around at empty intersections at midnight waiting for someone to blow a red light. We have better things to do. Besides, with sensors and timers on lights, it’s almost impossible to get stuck at a red light when you’re the only car on the road. The light will turn green when it senses your car.
 
Each to their own conscience. Some years ago one of my children would finish work around 1:30am and I had to go and pick them up. I still waited at red lights, cause it’d be just my luck that a police officer would be in the vacinity , observe me driving through a red light and then I’d be pulled over and … So I prefer to stop and wait. But yes as you pointed out the senses in the road will change the light to green, but that also depends on the interval timing set for that intersection I would think.
 
Then the culpability for the sin would be mitigated. Sin is sin. Our culpability is what can change.
 
I’m not saying that you should blow the light. I’m just saying that we don’t sit around waiting to nail people on minor traffic infractions when there are no cars on the road. If I stop someone at night, unless he’s drunk, suspended, or gives me an attitude, there’s no way he’s getting a ticket, and the first two things I can often tell before I stop the car.
 
The only laws we are “lawfully” break or not acknowledge (from the moral perspective) are those that clearly go against the natural laws.
In other words “killing an innocent human” is evil and if some rogue government enacted a law stating the opposite we need to disobey that law.
And we have to use our “properly formed conscience” when making the determination. It is why it is very important to teach our kids morals and civics. Lest we breed a culture of totally amoral people which we seems to be currently doing.
 
My, how I wish you were in my neighborhood! It just seems to be my misfortune that if I thought of doing something illegal, within a short period of time a police officer would soon appear in my rearview vision or ahead of me. That’s just my experience.
 
is breaking the law in some cases a sin or is this a dumb question?
Please don’t shoot Indians or buffalo from a streetcar! 😱🤣😜

Some things are malum prohibitum, wrong because they are prohibited, while others are malum in se, which are wrong in and of themselves.

hawk, esq.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top