Is cthulhu satanic?

• Thread starter Thread starter Searching1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. And I don’t consider him a good writer (specializing in first person hysterical writing), though a creative one. I got much reference stuff.e during my days in the rare book business.

(Hmm. This didn’t get marked as a reply to Erundil. Which it is).
Oh, yeah, he was also tremendously good at creating an atmosphere of mystery. I wouldn’t even call him a horror writer as he is now usually called, but rather would describe his work as a ‘fantasy mystery’ because of it. Also his impact on many fields of art is undeniable.

But personally, I prefer the more cheerful and adventurous works of pulp writers from that period such as E.R. Burroughs or Robert E. Howard (I am a real sucker for heroic fantasy).

Last edited:
@(name removed by moderator):
Howard’s Solomon Kane was interesting adventurer, at least for me. Such a weird and hilariously ‘English’ character.

I also gotta ask: Your nickname is one of the incarnations of Moorcock’s Eternal Champion, isn’t it? (I am suspecting this since I first saw that name long time ago but I was always too lazy to search for this)

Last edited:
Me too. I collect Howard similarly and Burroughs less so. HPL more than either, including his Arkham House collected letters and his APA writings. And several books from his own library.

The board suggests I am talking too much. Maybe others feel the same.

That’s more than awesome. You know that those “J.C.” initials often present in the Champion’s names indicate the messianic nature of this character? (However stupid it may sound, considering his actions). One of the Champion’s versions after the time travel even ‘took’ the role of Christ (probably in “Behold the man” — if I’m not wrong).
My favorite Howard character.
Also worth mentioning, the original Gary Gianni’s Illustrations to Solomon Kane were absolutely beautiful.

Last edited:
Met Moorcock once. Have a ton of his work. Not fond of his work.
I heard he would often “go back” to his older books to make some corrections and changes. He is generally a fan of revisionism. He is also said to have written some good history books, but I’ve never read them.

Last edited:
Well, that’s a treasure I didn’t know that exist! Thanks a lot!

Okay, I think I saw the cover of ‘Batman Black and White’ on some store shelf somewhere. I know Gianni did one great volume of Hellboy, too. Great recommendation nevertheless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back