Is everything a sin?!

  • Thread starter Thread starter boofking123
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boofking123

Guest
In this religion I seen a lot of good things here about how to be a good person which i am thankful i experienced but to me when i look in places like the baltimore catechism and see this:

+++++

Q. 1283. It is a sin to listen to immodest conversation, songs or jokes?

A. It is a sin to listen to immodest conversation, songs or jokes when we can avoid it, or to show in any way that we take pleasure in such things.

+++++

Q. 775. What persons, places and things are usually occasions of sin?

A. 1. The persons who are occasions of sin are all those in whose company we sin, whether they be bad of themselves or bad only while in our company, in which case we also become occasions of sin for them; 2. The places are usually liquor saloons, low theaters, indecent dances, entertainments, amusements, exhibitions, and all immoral resorts of any kind, whether we sin in them or not; 3. The things are all bad books, indecent pictures, songs, jokes and the like, even when they are tolerated by public opinion and found in public places.

++++++++++

I get really discouraged because i interpret that to mean that i cannot laugh at dirty jokes or tell them in a way. I also get discouraged because to me it means i cannot listen to something like metal which again i like for the melody not so much the moral aspect of it.

I don’t really sin when i do these things but it seems like the BC is saying I cannot look or listen to these things PERIOD.

To me it seems like as a catholic I cannot really accept this because it seems like these types of theologians that made this over think everything and make EVERYTHING in this universe out to be some sort of venial sin to the very least…meaning everything is at least a venial sin to them…which isn’t the right idea in my eyes.

to be totally perfect in their eyes is basically to not even be of this universe and to think most of the things in this universe are at least a venial sin. Like i don’t think that is what God wants…He wants goodness but not rigidity

Its like do you really need to label everything as evil in order to be a good person. To me you shouldn’t try be such a good person to the point you label everything as evil and you shouldn’t be so evil to the point that you label everything as good

I can understand most of what the church teaches but when they say certain music, tv, movies, books, video games are bad because of a few scenes in them that are impure that don’t associate with the plot then i think they go too far.

We are all called to be holy, good and perfect…but being those things doesn’t mean you think everything of this world is evil… .like if you really look at everything with a fine toothed comb you will see that a lot of things of this universe are "evil"
 
Last edited:
A good examination of conscience will enlighten you as to why sin is sin. Most all examinations of conscience refer directly to the Ten Commandments so that we may make the connection. Such examinations of conscience illumine our consciences, as some of us have malformed consciences.

Much of what you mention is a product of worldly culture and worldly society. We are called to be holy - set apart - for God. That means that we think, speak and act differently. We use the power of our will, fortified by God’s grace, to effect true change in our lives. With a well-formed conscience, we are more aware of the sin that pervades society; that surrounds us. We are more aware that sin is the only thing that can possibly separate us from God.

An excellent examination of conscience may be found here: https://www.leafletonline.com/examination-of-conscience

Shipping is costly, so it is better to include it in a larger order, or to obtain one at your local Catholic book store.
 
Last edited:
I think you can see now that being on the sinless level of Jesus is next to impossible for most people. Probably the only way to even get close is to become a hermit monk and visit people only to help them. It generally isn’t feasible to do this in a contemporary life.

The good news is that there’s a difference between venial and mortal sin. Most if not all of what is listed is venial. We repair our relationship with God by going to Saturday evening/Sunday mass.
 
I think to say that everything seems to be a sin is a bit dramatic. Are there opportunities to sin almost everywhere? Yes. But there are opportunities not to sin. That is everyone’s choice.

OP, I recommend you read the current Catechism of the Catholic Church for a better understanding. You can find it online. There is also a youth version, as I don’t know how old you are.
 
There was a time when I thought the Church was way too rigid when it came to sin. It was too hard to follow, so I didn’t, for over 25 years. I did not see heavy music as sin, dirty jokes were funny, movies were just movies. That was the problem, I could not see thru MY eyes. I guess I thought the Church was trying to take away all my fun and lead me to boredom.

It took one real bad night to change all that. That night of facing real evil opened the eyes of my wife and I. The funny thing was, we thought we couldn’t live without all the secular goodies, then in an instant we couldn’t live with them. A switch had gone off, the experience was an eye opener.

I think what I’m trying to say is that stuff like metal music is from this world (secular) and it’s not written or produced to influence holiness, just the opposite. Maybe you like the beat, me too, but at it’s core it is intricately evil. How many people fall victim to it’s influence? It promotes drugs, violence, sex, revenge, rebellion, etc. Sure, the song may not influence YOU, but what about the millions of others, like me before my conversion? So yes, the theologions had me in mind when they wrote the Catechism, they have heard a confession or two about music leading to sin. The Church is not being rigid, the Church is trying to lead the sheep to greener pastures.

I can use the same life experiences to show how movies, dirty jokes, etc, invited sin into my life. The Catechism hasn’t gone to far at all, it was not written to be a burden, it was written to help set you free. God bless the thoughtful and loving theologions!!!
 
Its like do you really need to label everything as evil in order to be a good person.
Not everything. Just the immoral things.

So, no you should not tell dirty jokes, nor want to. Instead of trying to rationalize dirty jokes, which are called “dirty” for a reason, start working on building virtue.

Why do you want to tell dirty jokes? To make yourself look cool? To fit in? Some other reason?

Your solution seems to be calling evil good rather than avoiding it.
 
.like if you really look at everything with a fine toothed comb you will see that a lot of things of this universe are "evil"
I like some hard music. I think both Ozzy Osbourne & Zakk Wylde are Catholic. I think Zakk is a good Catholic. I don’t know that they are, I just think they are. I hear a lot of Catholic themes in their music.

Ozzy’s life is chronicled in his music. There’s been a change in that man’s life, especially after the birth of his kids. I think the music was better back when he was younger, but that’s neither here nor there.

Mama I’m coming home.

As far as everything is sin… I don’t think it’s a good idea to get too far ahead of ourselves. We start our journey by confessing the sins we are sorry for & by the grace of God we will progress & He will purge all sin from our hearts.
 
Last edited:
… I don’t really sin when i do these things …
Actual sin (evil acts and thoughts) can be mortal or venial, and either of those requires free will consent, including acting with willful ignorance of what is correct (not investigating because of willful indifference). These things are to be avoided to not lead others into sin with bad example (even by tacit approval), and the avoiding of sinful things is what we pray for with “and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil”. In confession it is a common prayer of contrition to include “and to avoid the near occasion of sin”. If the sin in a person is venial, it still is something to be eliminated.

Catechism
Venial sin weakens charity; it manifests a disordered affection for created goods; it impedes the soul’s progress in the exercise of the virtues and the practice of the moral good; it merits temporal punishment. Deliberate and unrepented venial sin disposes us little by little to commit mortal sin. However venial sin does not break the covenant with God. With God’s grace it is humanly reparable. "Venial sin does not deprive the sinner of sanctifying grace, friendship with God, charity, and consequently eternal happiness."134
While he is in the flesh, man cannot help but have at least some light sins. But do not despise these sins which we call “light”: if you take them for light when you weigh them, tremble when you count them. A number of light objects makes a great mass; a number of drops fills a river; a number of grains makes a heap. What then is our hope? Above all, confession.135

Ecclesiastes 1:2,8​

Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth,
vanity of vanities! All things are vanity!
…
All things are wearisome,
too wearisome for words.
The eye is not satisfied by seeing
nor has the ear enough of hearing.
 
Last edited:
These questions are multi- spectrum. You are all over the map. It would be easier to address a more specific question.
The Church is responsible for leading souls to salvation. They try to illuminate every pitfall that could entrap your soul. Think of it from their perspective. If theologians fail to mention where you will find darkness then they are responsible to God.
As you pray intently and you ask for guidance with complete honesty you will hopefully, know why they warn of the dangers to your soul. Eventually you discover these things coarse and abrasive to the soul the more you unlock the clarity of heart where God resides.
A good test would be to find like minded people who follow the Church example and find out how different you might be.
 
Last edited:
What are you reading, the old Baltimore Catechism? Not only was that written in a much earlier era, and is not an official Church catechism, but also, you’re interpreting it really weird.

It’s perfectly fine to listen to metal (Assuming it doesn’t influence you to commit further sins like murder your family or get wasted). A lot of us do on this forum. I’ve been to a bunch of metal festivals and shows, still go once in a while, have no problem with listening to it, bunch of people I know are in the bands, etc.

It’s perfectly fine to have a social drink sometimes or go to a bar, as long as you don’t get drunk, or commit other sins while you’re there, or make a habit of drinking, or neglect your family or other duties to go out and party.

If you want to read a Catechism, how about reading the OFFICIAL Catechism of the Church, which can be found on the Vatican website here:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

I don’t think you’re quite knowledgeable or experienced enough with Catholicism to put other Catholic websites and older catechisms into perspective and fully understand what you’re reading, or you wouldn’t be going on like this.
 
Last edited:
I did not see heavy music as sin
It’s not.

Also, for a lot of us, movies are just movies.

If you personally think metal music and movies cause you to sin, then you should choose to avoid them.

They don’t have that effect on me, so I choose to continue to enjoy them. If a particular band or movie seems to cross a line, I just avoid that band or don’t watch that movie. It doesn’t mean entire genres of culture have to go in the sin bin.
 
I get really discouraged because i interpret that to mean that i cannot laugh at dirty jokes or tell them in a way.
We are to be Christ to the world. Would Christ tell a dirty joke? There are many many many ways to laugh and tell jokes without being “dirty”.
I also get discouraged because to me it means i cannot listen to something like metal which again i like for the melody not so much the moral aspect of it.
Why can you not listen to metal? Is it an occasion of sin for you? When you listen to it, do you want to sin?

If the answer is yes, change your metal

http://catholicmetal.com/

Will tell a story I have told before.

My father is a gospel music evangelist. He toured with a pianist in the past, various talented musicians, some are now world famous.

He was working with a new pianist. This man had not been a Christian for very long, prior to that he had lived a life or sex drugs and jazz music. Sometimes before or after rehearsals, this man would begin to play jazz. During some of those numbers, he would close his eyes and, in his own words, in his mind go back to the clubs and the enticing lure of the hedonism that he had lived there.

For him, jazz music was a near occasion of sin. For me, for my dad, for millions of other people, jazz piano is simply a beautiful art form to enjoy, we can even hear God in those notes and use it to praise him.

I think of Fr Stan Fortuna and his beautiful jazz that praises God


We are to be in the world, but not of the world
 
I think to say that everything seems to be a sin is a bit dramatic. Are there opportunities to sin almost everywhere? Yes. But there are opportunities not to sin. That is everyone’s choice.
As Scripture says “Where sin abounds, Grace more abounds”!!
 
There was a time in my young faith life when I had the same reaction: the Church is so rigid! Everything is a sin! Everything seems to want me to be not who I am!
As faith deepens and as you grow closer to the all-pure God, these reactions change. You realize the absolute beauty and goodness of the Truth, and you long with all your heart to obtain it. Increasingly you avoid all that harms and oppresses the soul, and your heart and mind start to focus on the good, the pure, the lovely, the holy–as St. Paul tells us. It sounds to me like your faith needs to deepen so as to come to this point. Yes, you should avoid “dirty jokes” because, well, they are by definition “dirty”–crude, demeaning to others, unlovely, not worthy of our high calling in Christ.
 
Our faith recognizes the dignity of the human person.
The world is at battle with this idea.

As you can see, there’s a battle going on in your heart. The side that wins is the side you nurture.
 
If you personally think metal music and movies cause you to sin, then you should choose to avoid them.

They don’t have that effect on me, so I choose to continue to enjoy them.
The way I understand it is we are not called to withdraw from the world, but to sanctify it, turning all things towards the Kingdom of God.

To that end we identify what is true & beautiful in all things. “Close my eyes forever” can be used to contrast the perfect love of God & the broken love of man. “Give yourself to me” by Black Label Society reads like a psalm.
 
CONTINUED

You shouldn’t overthink things and just do your best to be good in the most obvious ways possible . Again being perfect doesn’t mean avoiding everything and sitting inside all day only reading the bible and praying the rosary (which i think is a great thing)…it means trying your best to see everything with good intentions and if something is so evil to the point of it being totally black…let go of it.

But if it has a few black dots in it thats fine because everything even nature and the bible have a few black dots in them. Its not really worth your time to be that harsh

Idk. I know what the baltimore catechism wrote in this record is incorrect or flawed but jeez dude sometimes it really makes me think why im even catholic
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top