Is giving up a grave sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kronk
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kronk

Guest
Hey all, so I had a… Not so great day yesterday, in being newly baptised I have been trying to keep mortally sinful material far away from me (considering I had a lust problem before). So in the morning, in that half-awake state I woke up with full lust thoughts, and I remembered God, and that it displeases him, and that I wouldn’t be able to receive communion until I confessed it if I went through and did the do. But having being bombarded with thoughts like this so often, although I did nothing physical, I kind of just… Gave up. I entertained the lustful thoughts and let my mind run wild, with full knowledge I was turning away from God and the intention to do more.

But I stopped. I remembered again and said “No. I’m not doing this anymore no matter what.” And no physical act occured.

I am wondering, and I’m sure the people here hear this every day, if I am still okay to receive communion.

I have OCD and these thoughts happen quite frequently, but this time it was quite different since even for that small span of time (under a minute) I knew, I remembered, and I turned away for my own selfish lustful reasons. I stopped myself but it’s been on my mind 24/7. I like to go to mass each day so I gradually just leaned towards venial and not mortal for that sin and received that day, but I still worry if I am okay. I’ll keep praying for a sign if I’m doing wrong 🙏
 
If you have OCD you need to be under the care of a mental health professional.
 
other people you don’t know are not the barometer of your reception of communion or your state of Grace. We have confessors for that.
 
I remembered God, and that it displeases him … I entertained the lustful thoughts and let my mind run wild, with full knowledge I was turning away from God …
Sinning in thoughts can be grave matter. You knew before your decision to let your mind run wild with these thoughts, that it is wrong and remembered that it was, but then consented to these thoughts, entertained them and allowed your mind to run wild with them.

We can sin gravely in thought - not just in deeds. Stopping before taking matters further means no sinful deed was done in addition to the thoughts.

My advice is to go confession.
 
There is pain involved in breaking a habit. Your culpability is also reduced if this behavior is habitual. Point is, you stopped it. Is that not progress?

However, to “give up” can be seen as a rejection of God’s grace. Not good. Ask for it. Pray for it. Beg for it. Plead for it.

God knows you need it and He will grant it to you. You are undergoing a period of testing, as you have been found acceptable to God.
 
Whenever I catch my mind wondering into lustful thought, I immediately pray a Hail Mary and repeat until the thought stays away. It works for me.
 
So in the morning, in that half-awake state I woke up with full lust thoughts, and I remembered God, and that it displeases him, and that I wouldn’t be able to receive communion until I confessed it if I went through and did the do.
If you were sleeping, it´s not sinful. If you weren´t sleeping, then it´s sinful.
So were you or were you not sleeping?
I have OCD and these thoughts happen quite frequently, but this time it was quite different since even for that small span of time (under a minute) I knew, I remembered, and I turned away for my own selfish lustful reasons. I stopped myself but it’s been on my mind 24/7. I like to go to mass each day so I gradually just leaned towards venial and not mortal for that sin and received that day, but I still worry if I am okay. I’ll keep praying for a sign if I’m doing wrong 🙏
You should discuss this with your priest. However, remember that God isn´t sitting there waiting to catch you in sin. God loves you endlessly and cares about you. He wants the greater good for you, and desires that you let Him love you.

I do certainly believe that the best solution here would be to discuss your concerns with your priest. He knows what advice to give in your specific case and we don´t.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top