J
junostarlighter
Guest
does god exist in time? my philosophy professor says he does and this strikes me as odd.
God exists in temporal relation or God doesn’t
If God exists in temporal relation, he’s in time
If God exists in temporal relation to a temporal world, time is not real
These are also some of the notes he’s given in class entitled: FEATURES OF GODGod acts in time
If you act in time, you’re in time
FEATURE #1: Omnibenevolence
1.) God is all-good. God thus has two features.
a. All of his motives are good
b. All of his acts are right
FEATURE #2: Omnipotence
1.) God is all-powerful
2.) By this, we mean that God is able to do anything that is logically possible to do
a. The inability to do impossible tasks is not a restriction on God’s power. (i.e., the paradox of the stone too big for God to lift)
FEATURE #3: Omniscience
1.) God is all-knowing. This has two parts to it
a. God knows all truths
b. God does not believe in any false propositions
2.) Note the relation of omniscience to human free will.
FEATURE #4: God is eternal
1.) God does not begin or cease to exist
2.) It is logically necessary that God neither begins nor ceases to exist.
a. This does not assume that God exists because his neither beginning nor ceasing to exist is consistent with his existing and with his never existing
b. If it is logically possible for anything to create or destroy God, then there is a more powerful and hence more perfect being than God. Hence, it is logically impossible for anything to create or destroy God. However, if God’s existence were contingent, then it would be possible for something to create or destroy him. Hence, he is necessarily eternal
Here’s my problem with his argument. He says God is eternal, but asserts God exists only in time and is in temporal relation. He has in his notes that God is all-powerful and omnipotent, but in class he said God must be confined in time. If he wants to say God is confined in time, how can he claim that God is all-knowing and all-powerful? This teacher is making no sense to me. He claims that the idea that God is outside of time and space, what I claimed in class, is ridiculous and illogical and that no serious philosopher or metaphysician holds those views seriously, but the only thing I find illogical are his claims, and I’m nothing more than a college student. What are all your thoughts on this?FEATURE #5: God is holy
1.) God is the being who is most worthy of being worshipped, honored, and obeyed
An excellent Catholic theologian from Boston College (BC.) His running joke: “What does BC stand for? Barely Catholic.”Who is this Peter Kreeft by the way? If anyone has any links concerning with God and His relation to time, I’d really love to read up on it.
What then is a mind? Is it not a THINKING thing by definition?This is not a detriment to mind, but rather its apex.
I think the only reason he takes an interest in the attributes of God is because he gets a sick childlike humor in tearing down a theist. Because he is a proud self-proclaimed atheist, I would say he’s a materialist. He also rejects libretarian free will and holds to some form of determinism. I don’t know if he believes in soft determinism or hard determinism, but I would make an educated guess from some of his lectures that he is a hard determinist because he seems to deny the existence of moral responsibility.For an atheist, your professor seems to take an inordinate interest in the attributes of God. He seems also to be a materialist. The concept of eternity has nothing to do with time; the idea that God exists outside of time is certainly not illogical. Although he might take umbrage at the title, I would perhaps recommend Frank Sheed’s Theology For Beginners for his perusal.
I would say that mind (or intellect) is that faculty of a rational being by which enables one to know.What then is a mind? Is it not a THINKING thing by definition?
Michael
And logically so. I’m not familiar with the terms “hard” or “soft” determinism, but determinism of any sort, it seems to me, makes all human action ultimately the result of material forces acting on us. Our actions then, are solely determined by the (name removed by moderator)ut, negating free will and moral responsibility.I don’t know if he believes in soft determinism or hard determinism, but I would make an educated guess from some of his lectures that he is a hard determinist because he seems to deny the existence of moral responsibility.
But you use words such as “know” and “rational” as if they had a meaning to humans that is independent of their own experience with knowing things and being rational. If I am rational, my thoughts are rational. If I know something, I have justified a true belief that I would not have if it were not true. If I believe something I have thought about it or at least I have a disposition to think that it is true. Do you really claim to understand how such words can be applied to something outside of time? What does it mean for something that doesn’t think to know something or to be rational?I would say that mind (or intellect) is that faculty of a rational being by which enables one to know.
For human minds, it involves the ability to pull the matter out of the material, thereby forming ideas, which are internal, non-material representations of external reality. A philosopher might call this process abstraction.
But the human mind (although I consider it to be non-material) is limited by the fact that the sensory (name removed by moderator)ut which is subject to abstraction, comes to it in a linear minute by minute fashion. Consequently our mind works “in” time.
The divine mind, which is identical to the divine essence, does not work by means of sensory (name removed by moderator)ut. All things which are knowable are known immediately and simultaneously by God. (This includes God’s knowledge of Himself, which the gospel of John calls the divine Word.)
If the professor in question is a soft determinist or compatibilist, he believes that moral responsibility and determinism are compatible, but even if he were a hard determinist, he could consistently affirm that negative and positive sanctions do influence behavior and that we are better off holding people responsible so long as the consequences of doing so are good.And logically so. I’m not familiar with the terms “hard” or “soft” determinism, but determinism of any sort, it seems to me, makes all human action ultimately the result of material forces acting on us. Our actions then, are solely determined by the (name removed by moderator)ut, negating free will and moral responsibility.
Indeed, he should not be grading the course, since in a materialistic world, students have no control over their actions or their mastery of any given subject. It’s all (name removed by moderator)ut and output.