Is It a Grave Sin to Vote Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the original linked article:

“In light of the new Democrat promotion of infanticide, we must ask, “How will the pastors, bishops and cardinals try to deliver the Catholic vote, again, to their Democrats—the Party of Death?””
 
The concept of non negotiable isn’t from the Church.

It was put out by Catholic Answers as guidelines to a past presidential election.

It doesn’t include torture for example. Torture is condemned by the Church. Perhaps they didn’t foresee that a candidate would campaign on allowing torture.
 
See my “Cut military spending at least in half”. That would pay for much of it alone. Ending subsidies to profitable companies pays for more. Bernie’s tax plan and restoring the top marginal tax rate to what it was for decades after FDR would pay for more, as will closing loopholes and ending overseas tax havens, and numerous other policies that used to be law in this country. Paying for it isn’t the problem. The lack of will to prioritize these policies is.
I’d like to see someone do a real economic analysis of whether something like this could really “pay for itself”. An analysis in which we took into account the enormous national debt and our already unfunded liabilities. What would happen if you add to that the drop in revenue the government to would experience as a result of the loss of businesses and jobs that accompany things like cutting the defense spending in half, bringing all troop home from abroad, and the sudden loss of subsidies to corporations?
 
Last edited:
The concept of intrinsic evil comes from the Church. The Democratic party has consistently advocated for a number of intrinsic evils.
 
Aren’t you weary and wary of economic analyses? My impression is that they are too often twisted any old way in favor of the economist’s political views.
 
Last edited:
Is there any point to this thread other than for people to get angry and vent?
I enjoy telling others what is sinful. It seems most of the people who post on this forum want that. So yes, rolling your eyes at your boss and voting Democrat are mortally sinful. Well, one actually is. But the point is. I like the power of being the one who condemns others. And that is what this thread (or any thread asking if something is a sin) does.
 
Aren’t you weary and wary of economic analyses? They are too often twisted any old way in favor of the economist’s political views.
Absolutely, but they are a necessary evil. We have to have some idea of what the impacts could be before we decide to fundamentally alter our entire economy and social safety net.

The best we can do is to commission analyses that reflect a variety of different economic and political ideologies and then weigh them against each other.
 
Last edited:
How can one be pro life when belonging to a party funds the pro choice movement? That has always bothered me about “pro life” Democrats. It’s like being a pro life planned parenthood employee. I’m sure they exist but I’d sure hate to see the mental gymnastics they have to perform to look themselves in the mirror everyday.
 
40.png
on_the_hill:
Is there any point to this thread other than for people to get angry and vent?
I enjoy telling others what is sinful. It seems most of the people who post on this forum want that. So yes, rolling your eyes at your boss and voting Democrat are mortally sinful. Well, one actually is. But the point is. I like the power of being the one who condemns others. And that is what this thread (or any thread asking if something is a sin) does.
Am I missing your sarcasm here? You enjoy condemning others?
 
I don’t think every Democrat (or Republican) has to be lock-step with every issue their party platform stands for. There are many other issues that the party supports besides abortion. Maybe because I am not Catholic, but I don’t see such a conflict.
 
40.png
IdaCatholic:
40.png
on_the_hill:
Is there any point to this thread other than for people to get angry and vent?
I enjoy telling others what is sinful. It seems most of the people who post on this forum want that. So yes, rolling your eyes at your boss and voting Democrat are mortally sinful. Well, one actually is. But the point is. I like the power of being the one who condemns others. And that is what this thread (or any thread asking if something is a sin) does.
Am I missing your sarcasm here? You enjoy condemning others?
It is unfortunate when I write something I deem clever and someone misses it and could not rationally reach the non sarcastic conclusion.
 
Lock step on every issue? No no one should be. But abandoning something that advocates killing babies for convenience… if it were something less evil like racism no body would defend it.
 
40.png
Rational1:
40.png
IdaCatholic:
40.png
on_the_hill:
Is there any point to this thread other than for people to get angry and vent?
I enjoy telling others what is sinful. It seems most of the people who post on this forum want that. So yes, rolling your eyes at your boss and voting Democrat are mortally sinful. Well, one actually is. But the point is. I like the power of being the one who condemns others. And that is what this thread (or any thread asking if something is a sin) does.
Am I missing your sarcasm here? You enjoy condemning others?
It is unfortunate when I write something I deem clever and someone misses it and could not rationally reach the non sarcastic conclusion.
Sorry for not picking it up. However it seems to me that you were on the money as to the point of this thread.
 
I am paying 54% of our income in medical premiums. Guessing that a tax increase for those of us making less than 35K per year would be less painful and would raise $$
 
I’ve voted for democrats for some local offices because for that job they seemed to hold a more virtuous position than their counterpart.

Not all positions are remotely close to being able to affect abortion, euthanasia, or misguided sexual policies.

Honestly, I sometimes don’t even vote & pray a lot instead when I feel like I’d genuinely be choosing an evil agenda vs evil agenda. I can’t always make a choice in good conscience.
 
Most politicians could care less about us the democrats are a bunch of hacks especially in my state and all the republicans are phonies
 
Last edited:
In Canada our medical premiums are in our Taxes - who ever says it free here is an idiot - only if you are not employed and not paying taxes. But it sure isn’t 54% of my income. Hoping for a minority Goverment hopefully I can’t stand our Liberal Goverment or Mr Sunnyways.
 
This document alone should settle the thread.

This topic makes me crabby. We go through it every election season. You’re a racist, sexist, homophobic, white supremacist if you vote Republican and a bloodthirsty baby-killer if you vote Democrat.

It’s called voter shaming. And if we’re serious about replacing polarization with civility, it needs to stop.

(Queue the predictable, “Yea? Well I call it like I see it” response from somebody . . . which thereby proves my point about polarization).
How can one be pro life when belonging to a party funds the pro choice movement?
How can this status quo be changed if more pro-life Democrats don’t run for office?
one should be. But abandoning something that advocates killing babies for convenience… if it were something less evil like racism no body would defend i
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top