Is it a grave sin to vote Republican?

  • Thread starter Thread starter YourNameHere
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YourNameHere

Guest
This is an equal time thing for the person who started the thread titled, “
Is It a Grave Sin to Vote Democrat?”
I am an independent. I vote liberal on some issues and conservative on others. Neither part can claim moral high ground. Both are wrong on one issue or another.
 
Last edited:
No, it is only a venial sin. Seriously though, I don’t believe it is a sin to vote for any candidate.
 
I think it’s fair to warn you that, if memory serves, this exact thread was made a couple months ago and it went down in flames. There is no productive discussion to be had with either party as the focus.
 
From time to time political parties have tried to march in lock step on a certain issue. Dems are currently trying to do it with abortion rights. I remember when Repubs tried it with not raising taxes. It’s not working now with abortion rights and it didn’t work then with not raising taxes.

The point is that having a D or an R in front of your name doesn’t mean that you’re in lock step with all that the party typifies.
 
Last edited:
Both are wrong on one issue or another.
Which Republican issue is on par with the Dem’s crusade to murder innocent children in their mother’s womb?
And don’t say border security, 'cause it’s not even in the same ballpark as abortion. And if you do think it’s comparable then we can speak about the Dem’s promotion and support of human trafficking and their utter disregard for US law and sovereignty.
So again, which Republican issue is on par with the Dem’s crusade to murder innocent children in their mother’s womb?
 
I am an independent. I vote liberal on some issues and conservative on others. Neither part can claim moral high ground. Both are wrong on one issue or another.
Honestly, I think the only sin is in all of the petty voter shaming that we face every election season . . .
 
I would think if you voted for someone because he thought torture was good it would be wrong.

If someone had indicated that children and toddlers would be put in a baby jail, with no diapers or soap, while he was campaigning, and voters thought. “I like that, he’s got my vote” then that would be wrong.

If the same candidate also would reveal, “I’m ending medical care to sick kids because they are foreign” and a voter thinks, “wow, that’s a great idea!” That voter would be wrong as well.
 
You cannot say it is a grave sin to vote for some particular party. You have to judge particular candidates, because they do not all stick to the national party platform. In Oregon, for instance, the last Republican candidate for governor went to great pains to paint himself as pro-choice.

The last time we had a presidential election, I did not think I could in good conscience vote for either of the two major party candidates. I wrote someone in who I think would actually do a good job, even though there was no chance whatsoever that he would be elected. I do not live in a swing state, however, and I do believe that a person of conscience could come to a different conclusion than I did. I don’t think it is a sin, in other words, to choose the “lesser of two evils” when you are given the choice of two seriously bad candidates.

(Please, if you think that either Mrs. Clinton or Mr. Trump walked on water, spare me the campaign rally. I’m only giving the example that there are always limited choices and it is the actual people on the ballot that count.)
Which Republican issue is on par with the Dem’s crusade to murder innocent children in their mother’s womb?
My judgement in the last presidential election was that both candidates had issues that were disqualifying on their face, without even comparing them to an alternative candidate.
As for the party I belong to, Oregon has a closed primary system, so I register based on which primary I want to vote in. It makes no difference in the general election.
 
Last edited:
Republicans are racist
I agree both democrat and republican politicians are pretty terrible and do not even remotely represent Catholic beliefs, but I think it’s a bit unfair to say republicans are racist. That’s like saying all Democrats are communists. It just isn’t true.
 
Brother, NO politician running on either side has any of our core interests at hand.
 
think it’s fair to warn you that, if memory serves, this exact thread was made a couple months ago and it went down in flames.
Ah, but flames make lovely, toasted weenies and marshmallows 🔥
 
Brother, NO politician running on either side has any of our core interests at hand.
Well, it takes money to run for office and those who donate money attach strings.

We have free speech in this country, but it isn’t exactly free. Money is quite the megaphone.
 
Last edited:
I think you’ll find those traits in people if all socioeconomic classes.
 

Is it a grave sin to vote Republican?​

Only if it’s a pro-choice pro-abortion Republican. There’s still a number of those out there.

Once upon a time during my lifetime there were many solidly pro-life Democrats that Catholics in good conscience could support and vote for. Nowadays, there’s extremely extremely few. I think back in the 1960s there were probably a higher percentage of pro-choice Republicans than pro-choice Democrats. Not any more.

Today, the only time I would consider voting for a Democratic Party candidate would be if their Republican opponent was also pro-abortion so that on other issues the Democratic Party candidate might be more aligned with Church teachings in regards to social justice issues and helping the poor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top