P
Prodigal1984
Guest
I don’t personally do Yoga, but I know many Catholics who do. I read that it is almost occult activity because it stems from Hinduism and Yoga, as a spiritual path, stresses the necessity of detachment from the material world, to the extent of affirming that the material world is illusory and that all that matters is the spiritual. Although yoga did not spring up within the Christian tradition, this view of the material as the “enemy” of the spiritual resembles the Christian heresy of Gnosticism, wherein salvation (for the yoga practitioner, “enlightenment”) is sought by freedom from matter. As a spiritual path, yoga is thus incompatible with Christian spirituality. The spiritual practice of yoga focuses the practitioner on the self and on the dissolving of the self into a pantheistic “divine.” Christian spirituality is, on the other hand, interpersonal and focuses on union of the self with the Triune God (but not at the expense of the extinction of the self).
Last edited: