Is it a sin not to fast on lent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter polgas733
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I not sure what you mean by saying that you couldn’t help yourself, but Lent is just starting, there is still time to make a good sacrifice. Stop being so weak. I doubt that some meat forced you to eat it. My guess is that you ate meat because you wanted to eat meat and now you are looking for a way to justify your weakness. Stop it! Tell God that you’re sorry and begin your Lenten sacrifice now!

Pray for strength.

May God Bless You and Give You Strength!

Christ Died for You! Can You Not Sacrifice for Him?

NOT JUST STRONG…CATHOLIC STRONG!!!
 
Don’t worry about it, just start over.

We sin, seek forgiveness, receive it, and sin all over again all through our lives. While we try a bit harder during lent, it’s really not all that different. If you found it “too hard” to fast, substitute a meanful work or works of charity.

That’s really what Lent is more about, isn’t it? Making a meaningful sacrifice, and not just punishing ourselves.

Don’t get too caught up in a legalistic view of Lent, but don’t miss out on the spiritual aspects that can be experienced through fasting, prayer and good works.
 
Do you mean you forgot that it is Ash Wednesday today? Confess your sin, and carry on.
 
I ate meat 😦
On Ash Wed and Good Fri we are required to **fast **and to **abstain **from meat. There is a difference. Fasting is the quantity of food you consume. Abstaining from mean refers to the types of foods you eat/don’t eat.

On all Fridays of Lent you are to abstain from meat.

Is it a sin? If you are within the age ranges for fasting and abstaining and you did it purposely, yes. If you forgot it was an abstinence day, no. If you had a dispensation from your pastor due to your health, etc, no. It’s not for us to say if it was a sin. Talk to your priest.

Abstain from meat the remainder of the day, and make sure you fast.
I couldn’t help myself
Yes, you most certainly could “help yourself.” You chose to eat meat. If you are that spiritually weak, you really need to train your will in discipline. Be responsible for your actions. Mention this in your next confession.
 
Don’t worry about it, just start over.

We sin, seek forgiveness, receive it, and sin all over again all through our lives. While we try a bit harder during lent, it’s really not all that different. If you found it “too hard” to fast, substitute a meanful work or works of charity.

That’s really what Lent is more about, isn’t it? Making a meaningful sacrifice, and not just punishing ourselves.

Don’t get too caught up in a legalistic view of Lent, but don’t miss out on the spiritual aspects that can be experienced through fasting, prayer and good works.
Newbie2, that’s a good post. I will in particular, remember the last paragraph.👍
 
If you found it “too hard” to fast, substitute a meanful work or works of charity.
Unless you are this person’s pastor or bishop you do not have the authority to dispense him from the law of the Church nor to suggest he substitute something else for it.

You don’t seem to understand that this is a law of the Church, specified in Canon 1252. It’s not a suggestion. It’s not optional. It’s a law of the Church. Willfully disobeying the Church law is a serious sin.
That’s really what Lent is more about, isn’t it? Making a meaningful sacrifice, and not just punishing ourselves.
Um, no. In addition to the required penance under the laws of the Church we can do more. That is an additional sacrifice. But, we are expected to follow the required penance.
Don’t get too caught up in a legalistic view of Lent, but don’t miss out on the spiritual aspects that can be experienced through fasting, prayer and good works.
Again, you have no authority to abbrogate the Church law for this person and should not be suggesting he do so. It is not a “legalistic view” of Lent. It is a requirement of the Church, who does have legitimate authority over us.
 
Did you forget that it was Ash Wednesday and that you are required to fast and abstain? If you legitemately forgot that it was Ash Wednesday then you did not willfully commit the act, therefore it is not mortally sinful. Continue on following the laws of the church, there are plenty of resources on the website spelling out what all Catholics need to do.

However, if you knew it was Ash Wednesday and knew that you were supposed to fast and abstain and broke the Ash Wednesday fast and abstainence church laws just because you felt like having a sausage then I would get myself to a priest for reconciliation.

That’s my advice and I believe that it is in tune with Church teaching.
 
I didn’t want to start a whole new thread since I have a question related to this topic. What do you do if abstaining from meat really isn’t any kind of sacrifice?

My husband is vegetarian and while I am not, I really don’t care if I eat meat or not. I don’t buy it to make at home… maybe I have some at lunch once in a while (if I don’t have leftovers). So I kind of feel like something is missing. Where other people abstaining from meat are making a sacrifice, to me it’s just like any other day (now the fasting is different… I am hungry ATM).

Is it appropriate to add some other thing to abstain from in addition to meat? Or do I just luck out with my already established habits? Literally, for me to abstain from meat is like asking someone to abstain from eating oranges, or chocolate cupcakes, or any other random food… it’s not a big deal as it’s not part of my daily diet anyway.

Added to that, eating fish is a treat for me. So that seems to be contrary with making a sacrifice (so I generally avoid fish along with meat).
 
I didn’t want to start a whole new thread since I have a question related to this topic. What do you do if abstaining from meat really isn’t any kind of sacrifice?

My husband is vegetarian and while I am not, I really don’t care if I eat meat or not. I don’t buy it to make at home… maybe I have some at lunch once in a while (if I don’t have leftovers). So I kind of feel like something is missing. Where other people abstaining from meat are making a sacrifice, to me it’s just like any other day (now the fasting is different… I am hungry ATM).

Is it appropriate to add some other thing to abstain from in addition to meat? Or do I just luck out with my already established habits? Literally, for me to abstain from meat is like asking someone to abstain from eating oranges, or chocolate cupcakes, or any other random food… it’s not a big deal as it’s not part of my daily diet anyway.

Added to that, eating fish is a treat for me. So that seems to be contrary with making a sacrifice (so I generally avoid fish along with meat).
Abstaining from meat from mammals or fowl is the minimum when it comes to the abstainance requirements given by Church law (Today and Good Friday of course are days of both fasting and abstainance), if you feel guided by the Holy Spirit to make other sacrifices along with following this church law then I would be obediant to Him.

The Church law spells out the minimum requirement on the matter, but to gain spiritual benefits we definitely need to always be striving to give and sacrifice everything that we feel led by the Spirit to do. That would be my two cents on the matter.

I would maybe prayerfully consider following the additional requirements that the Eastern Catholic Churches require, just an idea for starters. Just make sure that you are meeting the minimum requirements of the Western Church.
 
First of all, eating meat does not break the fast requirements unless you eat more than the amount that is allowed under the fast…You broke the “abstinence” requirement. Did you do it Unintentionally…or purposefully??? Unintentional is ok…on purpose, yes sinful…now whether mortal or venial, I don’t know…Do you understand the reason for the fast/abstinence?
I ate meat 😦 I couldn’t help myself
 
I didn’t want to start a whole new thread since I have a question related to this topic. What do you do if abstaining from meat really isn’t any kind of sacrifice?
Abstaining from meat isn’t only about giving up something we find enjoyable. By giving up “flesh” to eat, we remember how Jesus gave up his flesh for our redemption.

I would say you already seem to be on the right track. Certainly, you should make it a point not to eat meat today. But if you feel so called to make a sacrifice above and beyond what the Church requires, that’s can be quite spiritually beneficial as well.
 
Abstaining from meat isn’t only about giving up something we find enjoyable. By giving up “flesh” to eat, we remember how Jesus gave up his flesh for our redemption.

I would say you already seem to be on the right track. Certainly, you should make it a point not to eat meat today. But if you feel so called to make a sacrifice above and beyond what the Church requires, that’s can be quite spiritually beneficial as well.
excellent and probably the most important point that I forgot to emphasize in my post. Amen!

👍
 
I ate meat 😦 I couldn’t help myself
The statement “I couldn’t help myself” implies that you knew you weren’t supposed to eat meat today.
As a vegetarian, I find it astounding that you wouldn’t even go the morning without eating meat. Seriously, it’s just one day. :tsktsk:
 
Even if you were given a dispensation from fasting or abstinence, you would still be responsible to fulfill the penitential nature of the days of Lent in some other, as equivalent as you could manage, fashion.

Do better! Fight the good fight instead of weakening! Pray and fight! :knight2:
 
The statement “I couldn’t help myself” implies that you knew you weren’t supposed to eat meat today.
As a vegetarian, I find it astounding that you wouldn’t even go the morning without eating meat. Seriously, it’s just one day. :tsktsk:
Hmmm, it seems that a lot of people (not singling out the above poster) are jumping to conclusions here about the OP.

How do we know that this person doesn’t have a compulsive eating disorder, or perhaps struggle with OCD and needs to have “regularity” in their life? I was just having a conversation about fasting/abstinence with my dietitian yesterday (turns out she feels fasting is contra-indicated for me due to a medical condition) and she sees so many people who have food issues that you wouldn’t even think of… I think that people here may need to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

The “I couldn’t help myself” statement could point to a lot of different things other than laziness/weakness.

Perhaps we can find a way to not be quite so quick to judge?
 
First of all, eating meat does not break the fast requirements unless you eat more than the amount that is allowed under the fast…You broke the “abstinence” requirement. Did you do it Unintentionally…or purposefully??? Unintentional is ok…on purpose, yes sinful…now whether mortal or venial, I don’t know…Do you understand the reason for the fast/abstinence?
Eating meat definitely breaks the law of abstinence which applies on Ash Wednesday and all the Fridays of Lent. (Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fasting as well.)

From the USCCB source]:

Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are **obligatory days of universal fast and abstinence. **Fasting is obligatory for all who have completed their 18th year and have not yet reached their 60th year. Fasting allows a person to eat one full meal. Two smaller meals may be taken, not to equal one full meal. Abstinence (from meat) is obligatory for all who have reached their 14th year.
 
On Ash Wed and Good Fri we are required to **fast **and to **abstain **from meat. There is a difference. Fasting is the quantity of food you consume. Abstaining from mean refers to the types of foods you eat/don’t eat.

On all Fridays of Lent you are to abstain from meat.

Is it a sin? If you are within the age ranges for fasting and abstaining and you did it purposely, yes. If you forgot it was an abstinence day, no. If you had a dispensation from your pastor due to your health, etc, no. It’s not for us to say if it was a sin. Talk to your priest.

Abstain from meat the remainder of the day, and make sure you fast.

Yes, you most certainly could “help yourself.” You chose to eat meat. If you are that spiritually weak, you really need to train your will in discipline. Be responsible for your actions. Mention this in your next confession.
Unless you are this person’s pastor or bishop you do not have the authority to dispense him from the law of the Church nor to suggest he substitute something else for it.

You don’t seem to understand that this is a law of the Church, specified in Canon 1252. It’s not a suggestion. It’s not optional. It’s a law of the Church. Willfully disobeying the Church law is a serious sin.

Um, no. In addition to the required penance under the laws of the Church we can do more. That is an additional sacrifice. But, we are expected to follow the required penance.

Again, you have no authority to abbrogate the Church law for this person and should not be suggesting he do so. It is not a “legalistic view” of Lent. It is a requirement of the Church, who does have legitimate authority over us.
:rolleyes:

This is exactly the legalstic view I’m talking about. Obviously, the OP is concerned enough to ask. You seem to be suggesting that this is a mortal sin, even though the OP said he couldn’t help himself.

You should take your own advice; you have no authority to deem this person as sinful or not. And yes, I do happen to understand the Church’s position on this matter, I’m just don’t consider myself to have the authority to declare another person sinful or not, nor do I consider myself in a position to judgel another Christian as “that weak”.

Best that they consult with their priest; we are in agreement there.
 
This is exactly the legalstic view I’m talking about.
This is not a legalistic view. It is a fact that Canon 1252 *obligates *Catholics to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday.
Obviously, the OP is concerned enough to ask. You seem to be suggesting that this is a mortal sin, even though the OP said he couldn’t help himself.
I did not say it was a mortal sin. I said it was serious matter to disobey Church law. I specifically said “it’s not for us to say” if it is a sin or not and that the OP should discuss it with his priest.
You should take your own advice; you have no authority to deem this person as sinful or not.
I didn’t deem him to be anything at all. I told him to consult his priest.
And yes, I do happen to understand the Church’s position on this matter, I’m just don’t consider myself to have the authority to declare another person sinful or not, nor do I consider myself in a position to judgel another Christian as “that weak”.
You also do not have authority to tell him to ignore Church law and do some other form of penance.
 
I was really trying to fast today but I’m not exactly sure how to fast so for breakfast I had a real small amount of cereal barely anything. At lunch I had a small scone but around 5 I got so hungry I started to feel dizzy and my hands were shaking so I ate a small pastry and at dinner time, 8:30 for me I had a big dinner that my wife cooked, I was so hungry at this point. Did I not fast right? I really was trying.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top