Is it a sin not to fast on lent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter polgas733
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really trying to fast today but I’m not exactly sure how to fast so for breakfast I had a real small amount of cereal barely anything. At lunch I had a small scone but around 5 I got so hungry I started to feel dizzy and my hands were shaking so I ate a small pastry and at dinner time, 8:30 for me I had a big dinner that my wife cooked, I was so hungry at this point. Did I not fast right? I really was trying.
The Church does not tell us specifics of fasting other than we should consume less food-- one full meal and two smaller meals sufficient to maintain strength-- and no snacking between meals.

What is necessary to maintain strength is going to be different for each person depending upon age, health, and things like the type of work we do, etc. Perhaps you should eat a little more at each of your small meals next time in order to prevent feeling dizzy.
 
The Church defines fasting as one meal a day, plus two smaller meals which, if added together, would not equal the first. I would not worry about the three smaller meals, it sounds like you did not know about this guideline and also you were shaking and feeling dizzy for goodness sake!

Next time, spread your small and large meals apart a bit more so that you don’t get sick/dizzy around dinner time. Also, you might want to consider adding foods that will give you more energy (e.g., putting just a few blackberries on your small amount of cereal) to maintain energy for the chores of the day given the quantity restrictions. You could also drink some juice if you think that you are dizzy/shaking because of a lack of sugar. Drinks which could not be considered food (e.g., not milkshakes or those super thick juices) are not a part of the fast.
 
The Catholic fast is extremely generous. In fact, one meal and two snacks isn’t really a fast at all, it’s just a matter of curbing our usual gluttony for one day. In some religions, people actually fast; in other words, they don’t eat or drink anything. Unless a person has a medical condition, a real fast (i.e. no food or drink) for one day shouldn’t be any more than a little mild discomfort. But our Catholic fast let’s us eat three times per day! How generous is that! Nevertheless lots of people are complaining that it’s not enough food. There are people in the world right now who would consider our “fast” to be a feast compared to what they get on a daily basis.
 
I was really trying to fast today but I’m not exactly sure how to fast so for breakfast I had a real small amount of cereal barely anything. At lunch I had a small scone but around 5 I got so hungry I started to feel dizzy and my hands were shaking so I ate a small pastry and at dinner time, 8:30 for me I had a big dinner that my wife cooked, I was so hungry at this point. Did I not fast right? I really was trying.
Purely from a nutritional standpoint (and not a religious one),you might not feel quite so dizzy nor have “the shakes” if, instead of starchy carbs (cereal, scone, pastry) you had some protein and a little fat. The symptoms you describe are often caused by too much starchy foods and not enough of protein.

Some ideas off the top of my head that you might want to try: a hard-boiled egg, apple w/peanut butter, string cheese, cottage cheese, tuna salad.
 
This is not a legalistic view. It is a fact that Canon 1252 *obligates *Catholics to abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday.

It’s not a legalistic view when you quote us Canon Law???

The legalism comes in how one views obedience to church law. I’m not disputing that Catholics are under obligation to obstain from meat on Ash Wednesday; we’re clear on that as is the OP.

The legalism comes in looking at lenten fasting negatively; Oops I failed, now I’m to be punished, which appears how you’re looking at it, 1ke, and appears how you’re giving advice to the OP.

The other way at looking at lenten fasting is positively; Oops, I failed, but I’ll resolve to do better and to set my mind on uniting myself with Christ to the best of my abilities, and to ask and pray for the power to help me do so. Big difference there, I believe.

I did not say it was a mortal sin. I said it was serious matter to disobey Church law. I specifically said “it’s not for us to say” if it is a sin or not and that the OP should discuss it with his priest.

And I did not say that you said it was a mortal sin. I wrote that you seem to be suggesting that it is, i.e. that it is “serious sin”. I agree that a priest should be consulted, and probably should have clarified that. My bad if my omission suggested otherwise.

I didn’t deem him to be anything at all. I told him to consult his priest.

Yeah, pretty much when you make it a point to say that the OP is “that weak”, you’re making a judgment. I think we should refrain from sugh judgmental statements. Again, though, I agree that it’s a priest’s call on the severity of the sin.

You also do not have authority to tell him to ignore Church law and do some other form of penance.

Yes, you’re correct; my bad if it seemed that way.

I don’t think and hope that the OP thinks either one of has has any authority beyond giving our opinions here on the CAF. :shrug:What I was getting at was not to beat oneself up over not having the inner strength to abstain. Sorry if I didn’t explain that well.

If you read my post carefully, I think you’ll see that the only substitution I’m suggesting is substituting an act of charity for the worry over being punished for not abstaining, not to “ignore Church law”. And, yes, if you see my follow-up post you’ll see we’re in agreement in consulting a priest. Sorry if you read anything different in my first post; perhaps it would have been more clear if I had originally suggested that he talk to his priest.
 
Sorry, 1ke, my last post was a bit cranky; it’s early and I’ve got a bug…

In any case, please allow me to revise:
  1. OP, don’t worry about “weakness”. Start over.
  2. Best to consult a priest on the matter of if something is sinful or not; as you’ll see on this forum there is a variety of potentially confusing positions.
  3. While fasting is important, we should remember that good works are a part of Lent as well.
  4. And we should continue to pray for one another, and those who have not yet received the Gospel message, always but especially during Lent.
🙂
 
The purpose of the Christian life is union with our Lord. During Lent, we have a wonderful opportunity to purify ourselves, discipline our will, and advance in holiness.

People try and justify their lack of penance by saying we (instead) should do some outward work of charity. But if you can not discipline your will through fasting, prayer and almsgiving, your outward deeds will be even more tainted by impurities.

Your first duty is to save your own soul.
 
Just ask God to forgive you, and start again!

My dad is the one who always fasts and is really strict about fasting… but he had chicken soup, he forgot all about and asked me to go on the web to check it out.
But i was good, didn’t eat any meat, had fish for dinner, yesterday! 👍

Aidan.
 
I had an odd experience last night and wanted to share it here.

It concerns what I like to think of as the “Genius of Catholicism”, a phrase I heard from Matthew Kelly in one of his lectures.

For days of fast I personally don’t eat at all from 12AM till midnight. I have enough excess poundage and am healthy enough that a little hunger is good for me.

Anyways, I woke up at 3AM and was so hungry that I went to the kitchen and had a glass of milk and a slice of bread with peanut butter. Since I had already gone the 24 hours without eating, my conscience was clear, but as I went back to bed I felt a profound sense of guilt over how I had so cavalierly eaten without even thinking about it, having more than enough at hand whenever I want.

My mind was flooded with images of the children in Rwanda who are starving and how they feel this hunger as a constant. What I had just eaten with no regard except that I be slightly satisfied would be considered a huge meal that they may see every once every couple of weeks if at all.

It made me truly realize how blessed I am and that I must do something. The words of Jesus are so clear:

*For I was hungry, and you gave me to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me to drink; I was a stranger, and you took me in: Naked, and you covered me: sick, and you visited me: I was in prison, and you came to me. Then shall the just answer him, saying: Lord, when did we see thee hungry, and fed thee; thirsty, and gave thee drink? And when did we see thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and covered thee? Or when did we see thee sick or in prison, and came to thee? And the king answering, shall say to them: Amen I say to you, as long as you did it to one of these my least brethren, you did it to me. *

Praise God for giving us the Church, who through what many may call legalist rules, we have something like a fast that can bring us to a better understanding of what Jesus calls us to do. “Love one another.”

Anyways, I personally feel this is one reason for the law of fast of abstinance, to teach us.
 
this is from the catechism, “the definition of sin”;

1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."121

1850 Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight."122 Sin sets itself against God’s love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods,"123 knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God."124 In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.125

1851 It is precisely in the Passion, when the mercy of Christ is about to vanquish it, that sin most clearly manifests its violence and its many forms: unbelief, murderous hatred, shunning and mockery by the leaders and the people, Pilate’s cowardice and the cruelty of the soldiers, Judas’ betrayal - so bitter to Jesus, Peter’s denial and the disciples’ flight. However, at the very hour of darkness, the hour of the prince of this world,126 the sacrifice of Christ secretly becomes the source from which the forgiveness of our sins will pour forth inexhaustibly.

i fail to see how eating meat on ash wednesday is sinful behavior. the church has laws, some of which help us not to sin, others to help us lead a life that goes towards God. failure to attend Mass (without valid reason such as illness) is sinful as it breaks the 3rd commandment, eating meat on ash wednesday fails to uphhold a church law, but how does it meet the definition of sin? heeding this law hopefully strenghtens our faith because of the benefits gained from abstaining, which are great, but sinful??
 
i fail to see how eating meat on ash wednesday is sinful behavior. the church has laws, some of which help us not to sin, others to help us lead a life that goes towards God. failure to attend Mass (without valid reason such as illness) is sinful as it breaks the 3rd commandment, eating meat on ash wednesday fails to uphhold a church law, but how does it meet the definition of sin? heeding this law hopefully strenghtens our faith because of the benefits gained from abstaining, which are great, but sinful??
It’s not simply the eating of meat that is sinful, but the willful disobedience of what the Church wisely says is good for us.

Going a step further, if you don’t think willful disobedience is sinful…then…different story altogether; where would you draw the line? Ignoring confession at least annually? Ignoring going to mass? Ignoring or receiving the Eucharist in a state of Mortal sin? That slope is very slippery.

Of course your question would be valid if the Church were to require something silly like walking backwards or doing a Monty Python “silly walk” for Ash Wednesday and on Fridays in Lent. And, of course, there are those outside the Church that see our Lenten fast as such silliness. Agree or not, the Holy Spirit guides our Church in giving us the means and “procedures” (for lack of a better term) to help us on our journey to become closer to our Lord, and making a minor sacrifice of abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday is one of those means available to us.
 
Sorry, 1ke, my last post was a bit cranky; it’s early and I’ve got a bug…

In any case, please allow me to revise:
  1. OP, don’t worry about “weakness”. Start over.
  2. Best to consult a priest on the matter of if something is sinful or not; as you’ll see on this forum there is a variety of potentially confusing positions.
  3. While fasting is important, we should remember that good works are a part of Lent as well.
  4. And we should continue to pray for one another, and those who have not yet received the Gospel message, always but especially during Lent.
🙂
In your original posting, I thought when you stated if the OP found it hard to abstain from meat to substitute something else you were giving that as advice on what to do all during Lent. I see now that is not what you were saying. I see what you were saying was, roughly, “since you already ate meat today, do another penance.”

Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes what you mean is perfectly clear to you, but not to others. (that’s the rhetorical “you” as I include myself in that).
 
It’s not simply the eating of meat that is sinful, but the willful disobedience of what the Church wisely says is good for us.

Going a step further, if you don’t think willful disobedience is sinful…then…different story altogether; where would you draw the line? Ignoring confession at least annually? Ignoring going to mass? Ignoring or receiving the Eucharist in a state of Mortal sin? That slope is very slippery.
but that is just my point, it is the church saying it, please don’t misread this as defiance of the church – i love the church and being Catholic – it is meant to draw a distinction between God’s law and some church law. breaking any of God’s laws is sinful, breaking the church’s law may not be if a law’s intent is to provide a means to holiness. as to where to “draw the line” each instance needs to be viewed on its own merits; Jesus called us to confess our sins when he gave the apostles the power to bind and loose sin, so the church’s law follows, reinforces God’s law (not that God’s law needs any reinforcing), ignoring Mass breaks the 3rd commandment as i posted before, and Jesus told us to receive the Eucharist, “do this in memory of Me”, so we can’t ignore doing that. in so far as receiving the Eucharast in a state of mortal sin. this only compounds the offense, which is between the sinner and God
 
I will go to confession tomorrow:)

i couldn’t receive communion for 2 days now and i am really starting to feel very bad

sin does separate man from God
 
In your original posting, I thought when you stated if the OP found it hard to abstain from meat to substitute something else you were giving that as advice on what to do all during Lent. I see now that is not what you were saying. I see what you were saying was, roughly, “since you already ate meat today, do another penance.”

Thanks for clarifying. Sometimes what you mean is perfectly clear to you, but not to others. (that’s the rhetorical “you” as I include myself in that).
Yeah, sorry I wasn’t clear on that. Such is the medium of the internet forum. 😃
 
Sorry, 1ke, my last post was a bit cranky; it’s early and I’ve got a bug…

In any case, please allow me to revise:
  1. OP, don’t worry about “weakness”. Start over.
Correction: DO worry about it. Willful disobedience to Church law is a serious matter. Bring it to the confessional as soon as possible.
  1. Best to consult a priest on the matter of if something is sinful or not; as you’ll see on this forum there is a variety of potentially confusing positions.
There is no opinion. It is a fact: willfull disobidence to Church law IS a sin. The seriousness of it is determined by other factors which have not been shared. Depending on those other factors, it could be mortal or only veniel.
  1. While fasting is important, we should remember that good works are a part of Lent as well.
When it comes to spiritual growth, the statement is true. However, doing “other things” on our own does NOT free of the specific Church obligation to fast.
  1. And we should continue to pray for one another, and those who have not yet received the Gospel message, always but especially during Lent.
We should also warns others of their failings instead of trying to sugarcoat them and say that everything is alight when it might not be ESPECIALLY when they come to us seeking an honest accessment of their situation.
 
Correction: DO worry about it. Willful disobedience to Church law is a serious matter. Bring it to the confessional as soon as possible.

Sure is…but when one is “weak”, is it truly “willful”. That is the $64K question. And do worry about it?..Yes, confess it, and then don’t worry about it. Better, SK?

There is no opinion. It is a fact: willfull disobidence to Church law IS a sin. The seriousness of it is determined by other factors which have not been shared. Depending on those other factors, it could be mortal or only veniel.

Based on what we know, it’s my opinion. Sorry if you didn’t get that.

When it comes to spiritual growth, the statement is true. However, doing “other things” on our own does NOT free of the specific Church obligation to fast.

Very true, I agree. In the OP’s case, that ship had already sailed, no?

We should also warns others of their failings instead of trying to sugarcoat them and say that everything is alight when it might not be ESPECIALLY when they come to us seeking an honest accessment of their situation.

Depends on how it’s done. In this case, if it’s done in a “You sinned, You need to go to confession or You’re going to hell” manner it is not, IMHO, particularly helpful…but that’s for the OP to decide, whether they found it helpful.

I’d prefer the softer approach i.e. don’t sweat it, consult a priest and ask for the strength to resist in the future. 🤷
 
Read Ezekiel 16:30 and 2 Timothy 3:6 and you’ll see that being weak-willed does NOT excuse sin.
 
The Catholic fast is extremely generous. In fact, one meal and two snacks isn’t really a fast at all, it’s just a matter of curbing our usual gluttony for one day. In some religions, people actually fast; in other words, they don’t eat or drink anything. Unless a person has a medical condition, a real fast (i.e. no food or drink) for one day shouldn’t be any more than a little mild discomfort. But our Catholic fast let’s us eat three times per day! How generous is that! Nevertheless lots of people are complaining that it’s not enough food. There are people in the world right now who would consider our “fast” to be a feast compared to what they get on a daily basis.
What if you already eat very modestly like that all the time due to serious financial constraints? I know all too well what it’s like to feel hunger on a regular basis, and sometimes meat-containing dishes are all I have for the entire week. I’m 5’ and barely 90 pounds with the metabolism of a cheetah; there’s no way I could eat any less than I already do.
 
I have always tried to uphold the regulations of Lent however this year I lost track of the calender after I lost my job recently and I forgot on Ash Wednesday until after dinner. I had chicken that day. And today I ate pork at breakfast and turkey at lunch and realized only now that it was a Friday and mostly a Friday during Lent.
My question is the definition of “meat”. My dad declares anything on 2 - 4 legs leaving only fish is this correct?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top