Is it a sin not to fast on lent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter polgas733
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always tried to uphold the regulations of Lent however this year I lost track of the calender after I lost my job recently and I forgot on Ash Wednesday until after dinner. I had chicken that day. And today I ate pork at breakfast and turkey at lunch and realized only now that it was a Friday and mostly a Friday during Lent.
My question is the definition of “meat”. My dad declares anything on 2 - 4 legs leaving only fish is this correct?
I have always been taught that, for purposes of abstinence, “meat” constitutes the flesh (and flesh-derived products, such as the juice or broth made from meat, gravies or sauces made from meat, etc) of any mammal. That leaves only fish and sea creatures like shellfish, which aren’t mammals, as well as non-flesh animal products like eggs, butter, milk, etc. Hopefully someone can chime in with a more refined, referenced explanation here-
 
I have always been taught that, for purposes of abstinence, “meat” constitutes the flesh (and flesh-derived products, such as the juice or broth made from meat, gravies or sauces made from meat, etc) of any mammal. That leaves only fish and sea creatures like shellfish, which aren’t mammals, as well as non-flesh animal products like eggs, butter, milk, etc. Hopefully someone can chime in with a more refined, referenced explanation here-
This is actually correct. Therefore one must abstain from meats from chicken, duck, quail, pork, beef, lamb, buffalo, horse, etc.

One may have fish or seafoods.

And from the looks of it, snake and frog too (not mammals or fowl) although I would think that’s more a loophole. I would still abstain from those (especially given that I can’t stand the thought of eating them).
 
but that is just my point, it is the church saying it, please don’t misread this as defiance of the church – i love the church and being Catholic – it is meant to draw a distinction between God’s law and some church law. breaking any of God’s laws is sinful, breaking the church’s law may not be if a law’s intent is to provide a means to holiness. as to where to “draw the line” each instance needs to be viewed on its own merits; Jesus called us to confess our sins when he gave the apostles the power to bind and loose sin, so the church’s law follows, reinforces God’s law (not that God’s law needs any reinforcing), ignoring Mass breaks the 3rd commandment as i posted before, and Jesus told us to receive the Eucharist, “do this in memory of Me”, so we can’t ignore doing that. in so far as receiving the Eucharast in a state of mortal sin. this only compounds the offense, which is between the sinner and God
Jesus also gave the Church the power to bind and loose.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top