Okay, I am not talking about committing suicide, which is a mortal sin, but is it wrong for a person to want to die of natural causes. For example a person wishes that they would get in a car accident caused by another person, or that they would get a heart attack or an aneurysm. I know its a weird situation, but how would it be sinful for someone to want to die, but still go on living if nothing happens?
While the person isn’t deliberately committing suicide, they have the attitude of suicide. It’s like the part in the Gospel’s where Jesus says that a man who simply looks with lust at another woman has committed adultery in his heart. While the person may not actually commit suicide, they’ve committed it in their hearts. THANKFULLY, that person still has time to repent.
Just to add… St. Faustina wrote in her diary one time, when she was undergoing intense suffering, she started having severe temptations and thoughts enter her head. One of the thoughts was the devil tempting her, “ask for death. God grants you everything you ask for. Ask for this. You suffering is too much.” She responded by remaining silent to the devil and throwing herself into the will of God. (This is what I remember from the diary, but it has been years since I have read it so the details may be off a bit)
She acknowledged that despite her intense suffering, it would be a sin to desire and request something contrary to God’s will.
From my personal experience, I knew a man who had been suffering for many years with a chronic illness. In the last year of his life, he was bed-ridden and couldn’t move. He had lung cancer and breathing was very difficult for him. I met this man a few months before his death. He kept saying how much he wanted to die! His wife told me that he had been saying this for the past few years.
Long story short, the man in those last months underwent a massive conversion. Towards the end, his body was so full of fluid that the doctors talked about draining his fluid. He promptly said he didn’t want that because he knew a man who underwent that procedure and died the next day. He then said, “I don’t want to die, I want to live!” That was the first time he said anything of the sort in years.
He died a few days later.
I truly think God was waiting for this moment… for his desire to live… before taking him to heaven. In short, it was his abandonment to the will of God. Wanting death, he was resisting God and his suffering. Wanting life, he really was wanting eternal life.
Some of the saints mention that they “wanted” to die, but it’s not in the same context. They were so madly in love that their “desire” for death was not in opposition to the will of God, but out of a great desire to love Him even more than they could on earth. They wanted to grow so much in their love and they knew they were limited here on earth that they couldn’t wait to love God more. But, they were also happiest with God’s will, and if that meant more suffering on earth, then that made them happy too. Gotta love the saints and their enthusiasm!