Is it bad to believe in the Da Vinci Code?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BrooklynBoy200
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BrooklynBoy200

Guest
I don’t believe it myself, but does it say anywhere in the bible that Jesus couldn’t or didn’t have a wife? Would it really make any differance to our beliefs?
 
The Church is his bride. The movie is an insult to Christianity in general, but more so to the Catholic Church!
 
The problem with the Da Vinci Code is that if it is true then the Church has lied and deceived from the beginning, and the scriptures are completely unreliable when it comes to telling us anything important about Jesus. Two pretty big strikes against The Code. 😉
 
There are possibly many theological difficulties regarding this when one takes into account Jesus’ divinity. I can thing of the following,

Human marriage is merely a sign for the Heavenly Marriage. (Every sacrament is but a sign that it is done away with in heaven e.g. Eucharist etc). Human bridal love too then is merely a sign that points to the love of God. Jesus being God would not need the sign when he already has the reality of God’s love. Remember that in heaven there is no such thing as married couples (you can read that in the Gospels) precisely because God fulfills that which marriage represents. Hence the reason why priests generally are celibate…they are waiting for the real Marriage in heaven. So I would find it really hard to believe, once we understand what marriage represents that he would have chosen it. He would be lowering his standards.

There are probably many other reasons but I am no theologian so I’ll leave it to someone else to elaborate.

Alex
 
Another problem is that Jesus was born human and divine. If He married and had children, there would be the dilemma of their divinity. Would they be divine, too? Would they be half divine? It opens the door for demi-gods and all the nonsense in Greek and Roman mythology.
 
Another problem is that Jesus was born human and divine. If He married and had children, there would be the dilemma of their divinity. Would they be divine, too? Would they be half divine? It opens the door for demi-gods and all the nonsense in Greek and Roman mythology.
Exactly, when a man and a woman marry and have sexual relations “two become one, the same flesh” so of course Jesus could not have such contact or relation with a sinner.
Think about it, God preserved Mary from sin for a reason, to ensure Jesus would not be born from a sinner. Jesus could not have any intimate contact with the flesh of a sinner, because as you say then these other people would be divine or half-divine.
 
Here’s the thing. Its bad to believe a fictional book’s claims. Its FICTION.
Do we need to go further than that and discuss theology or religion at this point?
Its written by Dan Brown.
People dont even think the Bible is credible and we are wasting time on speculation about DB’s fictional book as he laughs all the way to the bank?
Your profile says you are Catholic?
Did you just encounter this book today? OR let me guess, you saw the movie didnt you? Did not even read the book!!!

Please.

Who are you kidding here?
 
I don’t believe it myself, but does it say anywhere in the bible that Jesus couldn’t or didn’t have a wife? Would it really make any differance to our beliefs?
It wouldn’t make any difference to mine. I sat down and asked myself this after I finished the book. God instituted marriage. Jesus was both divine and human. It wouldn’t diminish Christ one bit in my mind if he was married.

I thought I read once that the Church even states that we don’t know about this part of Christ’s life, although I can’t remember where.

cecilia
 
It wouldn’t make any difference to mine. I sat down and asked myself this after I finished the book. God instituted marriage. Jesus was both divine and human. It wouldn’t diminish Christ one bit in my mind if he was married.

I thought I read once that the Church even states that we don’t know about this part of Christ’s life, although I can’t remember where.

cecilia
YOU cant remember where BECAUSE it does not exist!

I cant believe this!

Where did you get your education???

Its late. I will be back tomorrow. Obviously this thread needs some CLARITY for Catholics!!!

IF you are Protestant this most likely is not a large matter in most cases.

I cant believe this!

You will see me here tomorrow. And use the search feature unless it got wiped out in the crash.
I cant believe this!
JESUS NEVER HAD CHILDREN!
NEVER!
THIS IS AN ANATHAMA, BLASPHEMY, HERESY!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:
 
Jesus was married to the Church. NO other. He is the bridegroom of the Church He established.
(Ephesians 5:31-32)
The Wedding Supper
(Rev 19:9)
Christ and his Bride the Church.

The only children Christ had was us.
(1 John 3:1-2, 1 Peter 2:9)

Get a compendium or a CCC for Pete’s Sake!

I will be back.
 
I am surprised to see any Catholic even considering the ideas in the Da Vinci Code. I heard one Catholic commentator on the subject state that the only two things that are true in that book is that Paris is in France and London is in England.

Catholic Answers has worked too hard to put out a Da Vinci antidote. I hope anyone who has doubts about Christ’s relationship with Mary Magdalene will read this tract:

catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp
 
I am surprised to see any Catholic even considering the ideas in the Da Vinci Code. I heard one Catholic commentator on the subject state that the only two things that are true in that book is that Paris is in France and London is in England.

Catholic Answers has worked too hard to put out a Da Vinci antidote. I hope anyone who has doubts about Christ’s relationship with Mary Magdalene will read this tract:

catholic.com/library/cracking_da_vinci_code.asp
Thank The Lord Eden came in so I dont have to spend my night/day on this now.
God Bless you so much Eden!🙂 🙂
 
Another problem is that Jesus was born human and divine. If He married and had children, there would be the dilemma of their divinity. Would they be divine, too? Would they be half divine? It opens the door for demi-gods and all the nonsense in Greek and Roman mythology.
That’s right Shy Violet!

To boot, think of this., even if you were not a Christian, look at the problems here. Now, had Mohammed had Sons of his own, can you imagine that problem! Instead of Shia and Sunni problems there would have been other major implications!!!

Next “problem”: Where are these kids? They are just silently stashed away someplace because THE CATHOLIC CHURCH does not want them hanging around???

My goodness the Catholic Church is busy. Killing Jesus’s Kids! Or threatening their very lives into hiding!!!

Oh yes. Its VERY believable.

Jesus would want to abandon his “wife” and “kids” cause he’s just that kinda guy to up and leave them here knowing the Catholic Church is going after them!!!

And he cant STOP it from happening!

Sure Jesus would do that.:confused:
 
Lets bring back book bans for those who cant pass a simple 101 Catholic ed.
 
It wouldn’t make any difference to mine. I sat down and asked myself this after I finished the book. God instituted marriage. Jesus was both divine and human. It wouldn’t diminish Christ one bit in my mind if he was married.

I thought I read once that the Church even states that we don’t know about this part of Christ’s life, although I can’t remember where.

cecilia
I’m sorry, but you haven’t considered this very deeply:
[To] enter upon marriage here on earth with a concrete woman, that for Jesus would have been a nonsense. In the mystery of His proper nature, He, The God-Man, has received more than marriage with just one woman could give. For it is He Himself who give purpose and meaning to every marriege between human beings.
On the one hand the fulness of God’s Love was in Him, God’s tenderness as well as His toughness, for He was Himself God. On the other hand in His twofold nature, as God and man, He was the peerless marriage, the perfect conjunction, in His own person, between the redeeming God and redeemed humanity. In His divine nature He is the gift beyond measure, and in His humanity He is receptiveness par excellence. Thus in His emotional and sexual life as a man all tension was resolved. For His love was already satisfied and sated, was deeper and wider than He could have experience in a marriage. His physical status as man-and-celibate is the token of this.
Therefore Jesus qua man had also to remain virginal. In that virginity of His, the conscious and unconscious sexual dynamic, the masculine and the feminine pole in Him, are put wholly at the service of the spiritual reality which He is and to which He comes to bear witness: He is the Son of His Father and His image; among human beings He is the firstborn from the dead, the new man, or rather: the Man, simply the Man, Ecce Homo!
Jesus’ unique situation did not preclude a bond with woman. He counted women among His acquaintances, intimate friends, fellow-workers. In particular He had a mother; for like all human beings He was born of a woman. What is most remarkable is that this bond with His mother soon expanded into something much broader and universal. For from the very start every woman was more to Him that she was in her concrete and limited femininity. And all that she could be for Him Jesus had already been provided with in His own person. Thus Mary was not only His mother, but still more His sister, His bride, His daughter, and eventually His most intimate companion and the mother of all people.
We see in Jesus how sexual abstinence can bring out the profound spiritual reality of a person. It helps to lift man’s whole sexual potential on to another plane, where it can develop and be fulfilled without ceasing to be male or female. This fulfilment of human sexuality far transcends the gratification of its transient and constricted eroticism - a fact that will surprise no one who realizes how closely the whole of sex is interwoven with the image of God in man, Teach Us to Pray, by Andre Louf, Paulist Press, 1975.
 
Alex, this is off topic, but can you reference those Gospel passages for the lazy among us (meaning me at this moment!)? I wonder why Mormons have never realized this??

Sort of on topic: So, would that make movies like The Last Temptation of Christ heretical, too. I remember seeing this a long time ago. I also remember a few years ago my (then, although I will occasionally go there still) parish having a week of movies and discusions on them. The Last Temptation of Christ was one of the one’s they showed. I think they also showed Jesus Christ Superstar as well as the old Charlton Heston standbys. I didn’t go to any of them, but was curious why they would even show The Last Temptation of Christ. I guess I can’t really say anything since I didn’t hear what was discussed.
Sorry, just thinking out loud.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top