Is it immoral to use nuclear weapons in war?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cicada_3301
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with everything you have written on essentially every post on this thread.

I would like to respectfully note that unilateral nuclear disarmament in the face of the existent threats to world peace - including a bellicose Russia; a bellicose China; a bellicose North Korea; and a very unstable middle east - is absurdly naive, so much so that no one takes it seriously, and thank God for that. It pops up periodically, and is always indefensible.

I disagree with everything you have written on essentially every post on this thread.

I would like to respectfully note that unilateral nuclear disarmament in the face of the existent threats to world peace - including a bellicose Russia; a bellicose China; a bellicose North Korea; and a very unstable middle east - is absurdly naive, so much so that no one takes it seriously, and thank God for that. It pops up periodically, and is always indefensible.
Fine appeal to the stone you’ve made here. I’ve defended it consistently and all you can really do is shout “I disagree!!!”. Which is fine.

I guess I’m just not as scared of the Chinese and the Russians as you are.

You’ve been to the “memorial” to all those burned kids in Japan?

I’ll see you those, and raise you the graves of sailors and civilians killed at Pearl Harbor; Bataan; Wake Island; and a dozen other places.

Difference was, those sailors at Pearl Harbor died during peacetime at a juncture when Japanese emissaries in Washington were engaged in fake peace negotiations.

Spare us the sanctimony as to all the Japanese who died in war they started and waged ruthlessly.

Last edited:
If you saw what they’re doing in the South China Sea, you might love them less than you do.

40.png
Hume:
Interestingly, Japan was already organizing articles of surrender when we set the women and children of Hiroshima and Nagasaki on fire.
Not at all true. There were instances of particular embassy officials abroad making rogue overtures, but they did so totally on their own initiative and when they were discovered they were recalled home (and never heard from again, at least in most cases).

Don’t forget the torpedo and explosives factories, the headquarters of the 2nd Army and the Marines, and the Mitsubishi steel and arms works.
This is just something we’ve been taught to try and justify what we’ve done.
Jingoism, in a word.

“Think about all the lives we saved nuking those women and kids!”

Japan lost the war at Midway, just like Yamamoto said would happen (that he had six months to a year to win the war before the Americans’ superior industrial base became overwhelming). That didn’t stop them from continuing to fight for three years in the service of their delusions, rather than suing for peace after Midway.

If you saw what they’re doing in the South China Sea, you might love them less than you do.
I don’t love them.

I just think nukes have no future if mankind is to have a future and the defense of their use is just through fear and ignorance.

Last edited:
They are presently the greatest threat to world stability and peace. Many consider COVID a Chinese-orchestrated attack worse than Pearl Harbor.

Given the dead from 1 bombing run from both the kinetic effects of the explosion and then those from fallout, this is wrong to the point of being asinine.
What’s asinine is to judge the precision of bomb targeting in the way you just have.

Conventional bombing sufficient to cause equivalent damage to the Japanese war industry would have resulted in an equivalent number of deaths. There were no non-manufacturing areas of the cities, and indeed the manufacturing capacity was largely spread out into the very homes themselves.

They are presently the greatest threat to world stability and peace. Many consider COVID a Chinese-orchestrated attack worse than Pearl Harbor.
Ah. So I’m dealing with someone who thinks COVID was a Chinese-orchestrated attack.

Against someone who consumes 17% of your total international exports? Your biggest customer, and whose ruin would result in the ruin of most of the value of your foreign currency reserves (US debt).

…suuuuuuuuuuuuuure…

Last edited:
The guys who do it have been brain washed its the only way they could feel moral about it - a normal person would never think its moral.

I said “Many consider…”

The sarcasm (“suuuuuuuuuuuuuure”); references to me doing drugs, etc., might make you feel cool and all, but it impresses no one.

I said “Many consider…”

The sarcasm (“suuuuuuuuuuuuuure”); references to me doing drugs, etc., might make you feel cool and all, but it impresses no one.
That’s “tin-foil hat” territory, amigo.

What it is is the truth. Silly name-calling won’t change that, and it certainly doesn’t make you look good.

Last edited:
40.png
Hume:
What it is is the truth. Silly name-calling won’t change that, and it certainly doesn’t make you look good.
“There is no alternative but immediate unconditional surrender if we are to prevent Russia’s participation in the war.”

Japanese Ambassador Sato to Prime Minister Tojo, July 30, 1945

But hey, think what you want. We totally had to nuke them.

OK, so now I wear a tinfoil hat too?

Insults, insults, insults.

See prior statement.

For the record, the Chinese hate Donald Trump because he’s outnegotiated them; basically destroyed their economy; was instituting policies designed to return US manufacturing from China, and they couldn’t outmaneuver him as they had done to both Republican and Democrat US presidents in recent history. They would much prefer a Biden presidency.

OK, so now I wear a tinfoil hat too?

Insults, insults, insults.

See prior statement.
Hey, I didn’t direct that at you anywhere in the text. I’m just saying that view is tin-foil hat territory. Because it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back