Is it immoral to use nuclear weapons in war?

• Thread starter Thread starter Cicada_3301
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so now I wear a tinfoil hat too?

Insults, insults, insults.

See prior statement.
Yeah, when people start talking like that it’s a sure sign that their position is very poorly reasoned and they don’t know how to deal with folks pointing it out.

Last edited:
The question is whether or not the weapon affects civilians.
By law there were no civilian noncombatants in Japan at the time, and the Japanese government made a point of broadcasting that to the entire world.

The question isn’t what type of weapon kills the soldiers you are killing. The question is whether or not the weapon affects civilians. That is what made Hiroshima and Nagasaki so controversial.
But isn’t it possible that all those women and children could have fought US forces too?

In a way, the kids at the schools in Hiroshima were enemy combatants too, right?

Kgrish:
The question is whether or not the weapon affects civilians.
By law there were no civilian noncombatants in Japan at the time, and the Japanese government made a point of broadcasting that to the entire world.
So if Donald Trump says the same about you then you’re a combatant?

🤣 🤣 🤣

You’re kidding, right? Please tell me you’re kidding.

So if Donald Trump says the same about you then you’re a combatant?
I don’t know what the member means but I know my understanding is that the munitions factories were in that area; and pretty much integrated into the neighborhood in Hiroshima, it was not just a strike at civilians as maybe Tokyo or Dresden were.
The Target Committee nominated five targets: Kokura, the site of one of Japan’s largest munitions plants; Hiroshima, an embarkation port and industrial center that was the site of a major military headquarters; Yokohama, an urban center for aircraft manufacture, machine tools, docks, electrical equipment and oil refineries; Niigata, a port with industrial facilities including steel and aluminum plants and an oil refinery; and Kyoto, a major industrial center. The target selection was subject to the following criteria:

Military Headquarters, something made it a military target per Hiroshima.

Last edited:
It comes down to this. How many deaths in the Pacific theater should the allies have been willing to sustain while waiting for Japan to surrender? Time equals lives lost on both sides. A week? A month? Just keep waiting? The quicker the surrender the quicker it ends.

The ionizing radiation is blocked by the atmosphere, but in the process, it causes a cascade of electrical activity that shorts out any circuits that are not protected. Result: The entire power grid is fried, gasoline engines won’t start, and communications are disabled. Relatively few immediate deaths, but so much infrastructure is destroyed that famine and pestilence are inevitable.
What about the shock wave?

The Purple Hearts referenced were not merely produced for DOWNFALL. The interesting story is told by Giangreco in the oft mentioned HELL TO PAY, and may also be found in a very abbreviated form, in his contribution to HIROSHIMA IN HISTORY: THE MYTHS OF REVISIONISM, (ed. Robert Maddox).

Neither atomic bomb had a parachute attached. The degree of accuracy obtained, in our sample of two, was variable. Hiroshima was spectacularly accurate, attributable to the most obvious aiming point I ever saw, as Tibbets said, and the skills of Tom Ferebee. Nagasaki, which was a snake-bitten mission from the engine start, was far less accurate, for several reasons. Which, ironically, lowered the casualties by dropping it where the geographical features shielded more populated areas.

But overall, you are correct.

Last edited:
As was Hiroshima, it was a military target. Primarily the industrial complexes, most prominently those of Mitsubishi, including the torpedo production facilities that were the origin of many of the torpedoes used at Pearl Harbor. Some Japanese, after the fact, were not unaware of the irony.

But while a military target, do keep in mind that it was not targeted for that reason. It was targeted to affect the minds of the hard-core members (the Anami factor) of the Saiko Senso Shido Kaigi, the only group able to surrender (though such a surrender would have to be rubber-stamped by the full cabinet, which it was).

And now I’m on the sidelines for 3 consecutive posts. And there is so much error above, to be corrected.

I’ll wait.

Last edited:
I don’t know what the member means but I know my understanding is that the munitions factories were in that area; and pretty much integrated into the neighborhood in Hiroshima…
In fact, much of the manufacturing capability in Japan was distributed within the houses themselves. Drill presses, lathes, casting furnaces, all sorts of basic manufacturing was done in the living rooms and yards of individual homes throughout the industrial cities.

And what I mean is exactly what I said: there were no civilian noncombatants in Japan at the time. Anyone who says otherwise quite simply does not understand the Japanese culture, laws and mindset we were dealing with, and anyone who laughs at the idea that a fifteen year old with an awl or a grandmother with a pitchfork isn’t a deadly opponent to a soldier also doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Last edited:
If we had not bombed Hiroshima and per above, I read one person discussing famine, this could have happened because an option we were looking at would have been a naval blockade, we would have sought to not allow anything in the country and surely, would have continued bombing the country as well just not with the “big bombs”.

And there is so much error above, to be corrected.
Agree whole-heartedly.

The tragic notion that those folks had to be nuked is wrapped in so much long standing ignorance and jingoism that’s it’s only defensible through bald speculation.

Japan was not surrendering. Not that I know of. Such a statement should have some sort of backup.

“There is no alternative but immediate unconditional surrender if we are to prevent Russia’s participation in the war.”

Japanese Ambassador Sato to Prime Minister Tojo, July 30, 1945

But hey, think what you want. We totally had to nuke them.
In addition, some documents concerning the convening of the war council to discuss that very thing survived the American occupation.

The Russians were making their way through the northern homelands. The war was over.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back