Is it just me, or ...?

• Thread starter Thread starter Panis_Angelicas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Panis_Angelicas

This morning at Mass, I noticed that we did not observe the penitential rite at all. (We did not pray, “I confess to Almighty God, etc.”)
Then, before Holy Communion, five Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion processed to the altar before the celebrant had received Holy Communion (and of course, before the Agnus Dei). None genuflected or knelt after the Agnus Dei, or even before the Blessed Sacrament when approaching the altar.
One woman stood right beside the priest while distributing the Hosts, while two other EMHCs on either side distributed Hosts and the Chalices.
The Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion nearest me gave a very profound blessing to a mentally/physically disabled person who approached. I have seen him do this before also. He touched his hand to the non-communicating person’s head, chest, and shoulders in a bold Sign-of-the-Cross blessing motion, but did not distribute the Host.
After Communion, the woman standing next to the priest reposed the Chalices and ciborium in the tabernacle!

My heart sank seeing all of this.
Were all of these things abuses?
What is the best course to take?

Maybe, closing your eyes more during Mass will help you, as it does me. Also, sitting in the front pew can help with distractions because you don’t have anyone else right in front of you. I know sitting up closer really helped me tune out some of the things that bothered me. Hope that helps… 🙂

I mentioned on another thread that Jimmy Akin’s “Mass Confusion” has a very practical "what to do about it " chapter. Follow chain of command. Talk to the priest. If dissatisfied, go to the bishop. If still not satisfied, write the papal nuncio.

The only other advice I have is to mention that it is not coincidence that Sunday afternoon follows Sunday morning. Have a glass of milk (or a beer) and take a nap.

Good luck.

Panis Angelicas:
This morning at Mass, I noticed that we did not observe the penitential rite at all. (We did not pray, “I confess to Almighty God, etc.”)
There is more than one form of the penitential rite. Not all include the Confiteor
Then, before Holy Communion, five Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion processed to the altar before the celebrant had received Holy Communion (and of course, before the Agnus Dei). None genuflected or knelt after the Agnus Dei, or even before the Blessed Sacrament when approaching the altar.
What country are you in? Some postures are country-specific.
One woman stood right beside the priest while distributing the Hosts, while two other EMHCs on either side distributed Hosts and the Chalices.
Uh, where are they supposed to stand? Nothing seems untoward here.
The Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion nearest me gave a very profound blessing to a mentally/physically disabled person who approached. I have seen him do this before also. He touched his hand to the non-communicating person’s head, chest, and shoulders in a bold Sign-of-the-Cross blessing motion, but did not distribute the Host.
Blessings for those who are non-communicants aren’t disallowed.
After Communion, the woman standing next to the priest reposed the Chalices and ciborium in the tabernacle!
No idea on this one. Why not ask the priest about it?

40.png
WhiteDove:
Maybe, closing your eyes more during Mass will help you, as it does me. Also, sitting in the front pew can help with distractions because you don’t have anyone else right in front of you. I know sitting up closer really helped me tune out some of the things that bothered me. Hope that helps… 🙂
As a matter of fact, I was sitting in the very front pew. Otherwise, these things might have not been so obvious. I don’t have the luxury of closing my eyes during Mass; I was sitting with 4 of my 12 children.

40.png
squirt:
There is more than one form of the penitential rite. Not all include the Confiteor
There was no penitential rite. Zip, zero, nada.
What country are you in? Some postures are country-specific.
USA East Coast
Uh, where are they supposed to stand? Nothing seems untoward here.
lol. I only said where they were standing to help you visualize the Mass. Sorry. 😉
Blessings for those who are non-communicants aren’t disallowed.
Please give me reference sources for this, as I am rather certain that you are mistaken. We are speaking of someone other than a priest rendering a blessing upon another person during the Mass itself, and in particular, during Holy Communion.
I am of the understanding that Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion are only temporarily appointed for the sole purpose of distributing Holy Communion in exceptional cases, and that they have no authority to render blessings. That is not their function.
Giving blessings belongs to the consecrated priest or deacon.

If I’m wrong, I’d sure appreciate some documentation. 🙂

I’m also quite sure that the Extraordinary Ministers are not to perform such priestly activities as removing or reposing the Blessed Sacrament from the tabernacle. If anyone can provide some references, I think I should provide the info to my pastor.

Thanks very much.
Pax Christi. <><

Dear Panis,
If sitting in the front bothers you, then perhaps sitting elsewhere might be better?

Yesterday, at the Vigil Mass, I sat behind some chatty older folks. I made the conscious choice not to be offended or irritated. After all, I just can’t control everything, and being irritated only hurts me.

I heard some very good advise on conflict in general, on a Christian talk show once. It was Protestant, but nevertheless very sound Biblical advise. He said that we have two choices as Christians on how to handle irritation with others.

One, he said, is to confront it, in love and Christian charity, following Christian principles. I think the previous poster stated these perfectly in that you should discuss this with the priest, then up the hierarchy.

The other choice is that we accept the situation and let it go. But, he warned that this does not mean that we should stew in our anger. If we are doing that then we should prayerfully consider working things out in a Christian manner.

Also, you mention that you have 12 kids. That is a lot of kids and very wearing on a mother. I applaud you, but remember that you might be more sensitive to irritations because of lack of sleep, etc. Take care of yourself and get lots of sleep!

No, I’m not weary, and I’m not angry.
I just felt sad to see that those placed in a position of distributing the Body and Blood of Our Lord didn’t seem to be properly trained to do so, by some of the admonitions I’d read in Redemptionis Sacramentum. Time and again, Rome writes to the US, but we never seem to listen.
It wouldn’t matter where I was personally sitting. It isn’t me personally being offended that concerns me, but Our Lord being offended, or disregarded. I’m sure these folks all mean well. We’re from a very small town, and I know and respect all of EMHCs. I’m just concerned that no one is listening to Rome. We seem to be too busy, or too content, doing “our own thing.”

Pax Christi. <><

Panis,

As a non-Latin, I usually refrain from commenting on liturgical practice in our Sister Church, and I am uncertain enough of the usages associated with extraordinary ministers that I feel compelled to not comment on most of those you cited. However, as to the matter of such persons according a formal blessing to those who approach at Communion, you are absolutely correct - it is not permissable.

Secondly, I’d have to say that the advice offered by White Dove on how you should avoid taking note of what seem to you to be abuses can only be termed gratuitous and ignorant. Lastly, his/her observation that, as a parent of 12, you must be overtired, etc., was absolutely condescending and rude.

Speak with the priest about your concerns.

God grant you many years,

Neil

Dear Panis,
So, what do you think you want to do about this? Do you just need a place to vent? Are you going to talk to the priest?

Also, do you think God is really offended by well meaning deviations from liturgical norms? Somehow, I tend to think that God is a bigger guy than that. Just my opinion… 😉

Sincerely, WhiteDove

Dear Irish,
I think you can mention my name. I didn’t mean to be condesending at all, but as the mother of 6 I can say that there’s no way a mother of 12 can possibly NOT be tired! That’s like being a CEO of a major corporation, being the mother of 12!!! :bounce:

Sincerely, WhiteDove

Each one of these deserves a thread of it’s own but you are absolutely correct - lay persons can “ask” God to bless someone (God bless grandma and grandpa, etc.) but cannot give a blessing in the manner you described in your post.

Now I will go a step further and say that giving blessings to those who can’t receive communion in the line while it may not be forbidden is not the acceptable norm either. Those who cannot receive should remain in their pews and make a spiritual communion.

White Dove,

Once I can ascertain which of these common practices in my parish are liturgical abuses, complete with documentation, I would respectfully present them to my pastor, who I believe would take the appropriate corrective measures.
And yes, since Christ established a Church and set a hierarchical order to it, and since rituals and liturgies do mean things, I do think it matters how the Sacred Species is handled and distributed during Mass.
I believe that if my pastor and the Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion were made aware of the proper and acceptable means of exercising the commission of EMHC, they would surely do so. For some reason, they simply haven’t taken the time to educate themselves on their duties very well. This does not seem to be an isolated problem within my own parish, but seems to be widespread; hence the need for documents such as Redemptionis Sacramentum in the first place.

Pax Christi. <><

I’m certainly no expert, but here are some observations on your principal points:
Panis Angelicas:
A previous poster correctly noted that there are numerous options for the penetential rite. Unless the priest proceeded directly from the greeting to the Gloria, he probably used one of the alternatives.
Panis Angelicas:
Then, before Holy Communion, five Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion processed to the altar before the celebrant had received Holy Communion (and of course, before the Agnus Dei). None genuflected or knelt after the Agnus Dei, or even before the Blessed Sacrament when approaching the altar. ]
Section 162 of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) says, in part, “. . .These ministers do not approach the altar before the priest has received Communion and always accept from the hands of the priest the vessel which contains either species of the Blessed Eucharist for distribution to the faithful.”

In addition, in August of 1997, twelve of the congregations in the Holy See jointly issued a document which was approved and promulgated by the Holy Father. Article 8 of that document says, in part, "To avoid creating confusion, certain practices are to be avoided and eliminated where such have emerged in particular Churches:

— extraordinary ministers receiving Holy Communion apart from the other faithful as though concelebrants;
. . .
— the habitual use of extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion at Mass thus arbitrarily extending the concept of “a great number of the faithful”.
Panis Angelicas:
With regard to blessings, the Code of Canon Law states:
"Can. 1169 §1. Those marked with the episcopal character and presbyters permitted by law or legitimate grant can perform consecrations and dedications validly.

§2. Any presbyter can impart blessings except those reserved to the Roman Pontiff or bishops.

§3. A deacon can impart only those blessings expressly permitted by law."

Because Church Law is positive law (i.e., that which is not specifically granted is reserved), the absence of a statement about what blessings may be given by the non-ordained seems to indicate that such blessings are not permitted.
Panis Angelicas:
On this matter, the GIRM says:
“163 After the distribution of communion, the priest himself immediately consumes at the altar any consecrated wine which happens to remain; but if there are extra consecrated hosts left, he either consumes them at the altar or carries them to the place designated for the reservation of the Eucharist.”

When Mass is celebrated with an ordained deacon, this privelege may be delegated to him. however, the GIRM contains no reference to this being permitted to the non-ordained.
Panis Angelicas:
My heart sank seeing all of this.
I know exactly what you’re talking about.
Panis Angelicas:
What is the best course to take?
First, pray. Pray for the priest and others involved in these practices that, in His mercy, God will bless them with increased understanding, reverence, and obedience. Pray for yourself, too, that God will grant you the patience and serenity to worship Him properly, even in unfortunate circumstances.
Second, be alert to any opportunity to inform others clearly and charitably regarding these matters.

A lot of people share your concerns, myself included. Pray for them, too, please.

40.png
WhiteDove:
Dear Panis,
So, what do you think you want to do about this? Do you just need a place to vent? Are you going to talk to the priest?

Also, do you think God is really offended by well meaning deviations from liturgical norms? Somehow, I tend to think that God is a bigger guy than that. Just my opinion… 😉

Sincerely, WhiteDove
Talk about a weak and over-used excuse…

The mantra of the liturgical abusers…

WhiteDove,

Thank you for sharing with us your personal reflections on “how big a guy” God is.

The very beginning of the recent general instruction talks about the scene in the bible where Jesus asks a couple of guys to prepare the upper room. The instructions were a bit odd, and they probably did not see the point of it, and perhaps even doubted if the cryptic messages with a stranger would give them access to the room on such short notice.

Suppose that one of them had a better idea – “Hey – my uncle has a really nice room for rent, and my aunt is a great cook, so let’s get that one instead. That will be much better than this other room, without the flight of staiirs!”

Well, Jesus had “bigger plans” than these guys thought he did. Even though they had good intentions, and felt in their hearts that they knew better what to do.

So perhaps when others are trying to figure out just what it is that Jesus is asking us to do, you can look upon it light of this story, instead of presuming that someone with 12 children is cranky and looking for a place to vent.

Just my opinion…
40.png
WhiteDove:
Dear Panis,

Sincerely, WhiteDove
:rolleyes:

Dear Crusader,
I’m sorry you didn’t agree with my statement, but I’m hardly a liturgical abuser. I am merely offering here how I deal with things that annoy me at Mass. I try not to let them distract me from my worship, since they are pretty much out of my control. I try and sit near the front, so I’m not bothered by what other people do, and I try to close my eyes and focus on the readings, and on God. I find these techniques helpful personally.

Also, I do think God is way beyond being ‘offended’ by a lay person offering a well meaning blessing or some other such thing. God is perfect, God is beyond our comprehension, God is the radiant source of all Love and Light! We human beings are offensive, that’s true, but God is beyond the pettiness of our sinful world, IMO. That’s not to say that we don’t need dicsipline in the Liturgy, but I truly think God is not ‘offended’ by well meaning gestures. 🙂

This has been the area of concern to me: not the people in the pews, but those with a commission from the Church to perform a specific function during the Mass, yet, not doing it as the Church instructs.

My sitting in a different location would not change that; nor would keeping my eyes closed. I might as well stick my head in the sand.

Should I become complacent about the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and the Most Holy Eucharist? If so, what hope do I have for my children to devoutly adhere to the Teachings of the Church? If the Most Holy Eucharist is the Source, Summit and Center of our lives, shouldn’t we care enough to see that It is properly handled, distributed, and received, whenever possible?

There seems to be so much lukewarmness.
And Jesus Himself did speak of lukewarmness with great disgust.
I think it does matter to Him, how His Body and Blood are regarded.

This is why I feel the need to educate myself, and bring my concerns to my pastor. Of course, the best advise received thus far is to pray first! Indeed, I will do that, for my own parish, and yours.

May the Heart of Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament be praised, adored and loved with grateful affection at every moment in all the tabernacles of the world even to the end of time. Amen.

40.png
deogratias:
Each one of these deserves a thread of it’s own but you are absolutely correct - lay persons can “ask” God to bless someone (God bless grandma and grandpa, etc.) but cannot give a blessing in the manner you described in your post.

Now I will go a step further and say that giving blessings to those who can’t receive communion in the line while it may not be forbidden is not the acceptable norm either. Those who cannot receive should remain in their pews and make a spiritual communion.
I believe that I remember reading in the Catechism that those who are non-communicants, whether because they are Protestant, not recieving Communion due to lack of Confession, etc., can approach the alter/ priest specifically with arms crossed over their chest and head bowed. In lieu of Communion, the priest can give a blessing to that individual.

Is this correct or have I left out any details…?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back