Is it just me, or ...?

• Thread starter Thread starter Panis_Angelicas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Panis Angelicas:
[After Communion, the woman standing next to the priest reposed the Chalices and ciborium in the tabernacle!

[
This part is pretty common in our church where the tabernacle is out of the nave in a separate chapel. Is that not permissible?
[/quote]

Panis it sounds like you are at my Church. 😦
After the Vatican tried to clear up abuses this Spring my Church seems hell bent on breaking as many rules as possible. Our EMHC march up on the alter making as much of a stir as possible, back slap and shake hands and ignore the Eucharist till they all have greated eachother. Then there is the glass chalises(sp) and pita bread once which was so crumbly I had to lick it off my hand so it wouldn’t fall on the floor. Crumbs were everywhere but the Pastor seemed not to care. The other thing is he has neutered God, He now is just some it. Also he never capitalizes God of refernces to Him. I have decided to leave the Parish I was Baptised from because he sees nothing wrong with making a mockery of God.My mother calls it the new liturgy but it is just his and his feminist followers liteugy. He had women do all the Jesus parts in the Passion both on Palm Sunday and Good Fiday, again mother said he was making a statement and both my sister and I replied “a bad one”. He does not feel he has to follow Rome. I have had enough and am now looking for a faithful liturgy.
Good Luck with your complaint, I hope you have more luck than I have.
Kathy
and what is with the hand holding thing that has taken over?

I can’t remember where I read this, but someone coming up for a blessing can be blessed by an EMHC** if** the blessing is given from the liturgical Book of Blessings.

If there is a small amount of Most Precious Blood left over, it is to be consumed immediately by the priest or deacon - although most parishes will let the EMHCs do this.
If there is a large amount of Most Precious Blood left over, it is to be reserved in the tabernacle along with the consecrated Hosts.

Almost every parish I’ve been to let the EMHCs remove/replace the consecrated Hosts. I do not have any information if this is an abuse or not.

40.png
JCPhoenix:
I believe that I remember reading in the Catechism that those who are non-communicants, whether because they are Protestant, not recieving Communion due to lack of Confession, etc., can approach the alter/ priest specifically with arms crossed over their chest and head bowed. In lieu of Communion, the priest can give a blessing to that individual.

Is this correct or have I left out any details…?
I’m sure it is within an ordained priest’s abilities to render blessings, but not a layman who has **only **been commissioned to assist in distributing the Host under special, extraordinary circumstances. That particular Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion is performing a priestly function: giving a blessing. He is not authorized to do such a thing, especially during the Mass. IMHO.
Pax Christi. <><

40.png
Cognovimus:
This part is pretty common in our church where the tabernacle is out of the nave in a separate chapel. Is that not permissible?
Our tabernacle is directly behind the altar of Sacrifice, several steps up, front and center. To see a layperson ascending the steps and reaching into the tabernacle during Mass was quite shocking! The priest rather awkwardly thanked her for reposing the vessels! I know not whether there was Sacred Species in them or not.

Pax Christi. <><

Panis Angelicas:
I’m sure it is within an ordained priest’s abilities to render blessings, but not a layman who has **only **been commissioned to assist in distributing the Host under special, extraordinary circumstances. That particular Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion is performing a priestly function: giving a blessing. He is not authorized to do such a thing, especially during the Mass. IMHO.
Pax Christi. <><
Nobody other than an ordained priest or ordained deacon is qualified to give a blessing.

This means that although someone other than an ordained priest or ordained deacon thinks that they have given a blessing… they haven’t. And the person who has received a “blessing” from someone who is not an ordained priest or ordained deacon, although they believe that they have received a blessing… hasn’t.

EMHC’s can “pray for” the person to receive blessings… but not act as if THEY are blessing the person, as if they were a priest or a deacon.

Liturgical abuses like this happen because folks are just plain inadequately catechised or trained for their functions.

Sometimes it’s difficult to tell whether an EMHC is considering themselves to be actually blessing someone.

In my mind (which is a dangerous place, to be sure 😛 ), I suppose that if an EMHC considers that they are blessing someone and learn later that they are NOT qualified, nor ever will be qualified, to bless someone… they’d be aghast at their ignorance in such matters.

40.png
Pandora:
and what is with the hand holding thing that has taken over?
Pandora, I’m of the same mind as you about “what is with the hand holding thing that has taken over?”

I started a thread on this back on May 23. Last I looked, it had only 204 replies!

Thread title: Holding hands at the Lord’s Prayer

forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=618

Discussion seems to have died down a bit lately. I figure that I’ve been beating a dead horse. So at that point at Mass, I just close my eyes, hold my hands together, and try not to see in my mind that liturgical abuse going on.

What’s really weird is that the ONE place in the Mass where folks tend to reply their loudest is at the “for thine is the Kingdom, the Power, and the Glory forever!”

Other times, especially at Amens and such, it’s tough to tell whether ANYbody is saying that part out that we are supposed to say out loud!

Makes me wonder… is my parish full of converts from Protestant churches?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back