Is it ok to change the apostles creed?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jonatron5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re a Protestant, you can do what you like! The question is, what do YOU consider to be the source of authority? If you think that the Council of Milan where the Apostles’ Creed was mostly formulated, plus subsequent adjustments by the Church, are authoritative, then you are walking down a logical path which will lead you to Rome.
If you’re a Lutheran, you recognize the authority of the early councils. You also recognize that the Church is granted teaching authority. Sadly, that authority is divided along with the Church.
So, my view is where we have agreement, let’s stand together.

The problem with changing the creeds is it can lead to changing the meaning as well. I see no reason to change it.

its a lower case “c” catholic meaning universal. So your preacher is misunderstanding the context of the word. You are essentially saying “I believe in the Holy “Universal” Church” but therein lies another problem in my opinion. This “church” when the apostles creed was created was both singular and universal…which presents a problem: Which church is that? (Yes, I understand that when protestants use the term “the church” they essentially mean Christians in all denominations) but it is still a problem because there were not multiple denominations when the creed was made. This implies a one true church.

One I personally believe is still around, and the church that originated the creed and the biblical canon itself - - - The Catholic Church. The one that exists today, and the one your preacher is “protesting” against…for obvious reasons (he is protestant).

One I personally believe is still around, and the church that originated the creed and the biblical canon itself - - - The Catholic Church.
The Catholic Church in communion with the Bishop of Rome is certainly a significant part of the one True Church, but it is not only and exclusively so.
The one that exists today, and the one your preacher is “protesting” against…for obvious reasons (he is protestant).
That’s not what Protestant means. The formal protest was against the actions of civil authorities at the Second Diet at Speyer in 1529.

Protestants protest the Catholic Church. Sorry, but that’s just the truth. Historically and in practice, whether you understand the Catholic Church or not.
The Catholic Church in communion with the Bishop of Rome is certainly a significant part of the one True Church, but it is not only and exclusively so.
No, what I’m saying is that Catholics understand “the Church” as the same thing as “The Catholic Church” other Christian denominations may be Christian, but you are not part of the Catholic Church (this from a Catholic perspective). Some Catholics use the term “separated brothers, etc” for protestants. This is what I was trying to convey to answer his argument from a Catholic perspective. The very reason his preacher doesn’t want to use the word “catholic” even though he’s misunderstanding the context of the word, is because he has a problem with the Catholic Church in some way however small (not trying to be difficult, but that fact is immediately obvious as he previously stated)
The best backstory I got was evidently someone had complained about us using the word catholic and professing belief in it, when we arnt catholics.

Last edited:
You should reader the fathers know best by Jimmy Akin…it’ll change your life.

Protestants protest the Catholic Church.
No. They don’t. Honestly, the average “Protestant” in the pew doesn’t care. They see the Catholic parish on the next corner as just another church where a neighbor or co-worker goes to church.
Sorry, but that’s just the truth. Historically and in practice, whether you understand the Catholic Church or not.
Nope. Not historically. Not now.
No, what I’m saying is that Catholics understand “the Church” as the same thing as “The Catholic Church” other Christian denominations may be Christian, but you are not part of the Catholic Church (this from a Catholic perspective).
I think many Catholics do see it this way, though I think some may view Eastern Orthodox as part of the Church.
Some Catholics use the term “separated brothers, etc” for protestants. This is what I was trying to convey to answer his argument from a Catholic perspective.
I think this reflects Catholic catechesis, from what I’ve heard and read.
The very reason his preacher doesn’t want to use the word “catholic” even though he’s misunderstanding the context of the word, is because he has a problem with the Catholic Church in some way however small (not trying to be difficult, but that fact is immediately obvious as he previously stated)
He may be. I’ve never seen or understood the reason for the lower case “c” or the use of the word Christian as a replacement.
It is the one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

The best backstory I got was evidently someone had complained about us using the word catholic and professing belief in it, when we arnt catholics.
I’ve heard the same among poorly catechized Lutherans regarding the Athanasisn Creed, which starts with the words: “ Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith.”

This is one time when using the lower case “c” makes sense, meaning universal. But the Lutheran confessions affirm that we hold to the catholic faith.

Nope. Not historically. Not now.
Are you implying that history changes over time?
No. They don’t. Honestly, the average “Protestant” in the pew doesn’t care. They see the Catholic parish on the next corner as just another church where a neighbor or co-worker goes to church.
This is the problem. You must know your history. It is because people do not know their history that we have so many Christian denominations and division in the world.

Are you implying that history changes over time?
No. I’m respectfully correcting your mistaken understanding of the history of the term.
This is the problem. You must know your history. It is because people do not know their history that we have so many Christian denominations and division in the world.
I think there is some truth in this. We tend to be comfortable in the Church’s divided condition, contrary to the call that we all be one.

I think there is some truth in this. We tend to be comfortable in the Church’s divided condition, contrary to the call that we all be one.
Yes, and I think that comes with understanding what the earliest Christians believed.
No. I’m respectfully correcting your mistaken understanding of the history of the term.
What denomination are you?

confessional Lutheran.
So who started the Lutherans? Was he always Lutheran?

Edit:

Martin Luther was a Catholic priest at one time. Long story short: He saw things he deemed to be wrong in the church and PROTESTED by posting the 95 theses against it. These resulted in him forming his own church and radically changing the theology of the Catholic Church to suite his beliefs. This became the basis for almost all the Protestant Christian denominations in the world including Lutheranism (That basis being built on protesting the Catholic Church). History.

Last edited:
48.png
JonNC:
confessional Lutheran.
So who started the Lutherans? Was he always Lutheran?
Lutheranism is a tradition within the one True Church. It has its roots in the Evangelical Catholic reformation, led by Luther and others.

Lutheranism is a tradition within the one True Church. It has its roots in the Evangelical Catholic reformation, led by Luther and others.
This is not what Catholics believe. That is what I was trying to say, you may call it the…
Evangelical Catholic reformation
…but to most it is just called the Reformation, that period in history where Luther broke from the Roman Catholic Church and started his own religion.

I would recommend looking to the early church fathers on what they said on the Eucharist and the Pope in a completely unbiased fashion, and I think you will find that a Pope is central to Jesus’s plan.

Last edited:
Martin Luther was a Catholic priest at one time. Long story short: He saw things he deemed to be wrong in the church and PROTESTED by posting the 95 theses against it.
Actually, they were an invitation to debate. They were stated debate points. The 95 Theses were not a protest. The protest came at the second Dirt at Speyer.
These resulted in him forming his own church and radically changing the theology of the Catholic Church to suite his beliefs.
You can hold to that polemic if you want, but that’s never been my understanding.
This became the basis for almost all the Protestant Christian denominations in the world including Lutheranism (That basis being built on protesting the Catholic Church). History.
Very few of the communions/tradition / denominations referred to as Protestant have any direct connection to the Lutheran tradition, or the 95 Theses. Even Lutherans don’t view the 95 Theses as particularly important to the tradition. They aren’t in the Book of Concord, the collection of symbols of the tradition.

This is not what Catholics believe. That is what I was trying to say, you may call it the…
I know. Lutherans would disagree.
but to most it is just called the Reformation, that period in history where Luther broke from the Roman Catholic Church and started his own religion.
They called themselves Evangelical Catholics.
The Lutheran reformation is more directly linked to the Augsburg Confessions, not the 95 Theses.
I would recommend looking to the early church fathers on what they said on the Eucharist
How about this?
Who , but the devil , has granted such license of wresting the words of the holy Scripture? Who ever read in the Scriptures, that my body is the same as the sign of my body ? or, that is is the same as it signifies ? What language in the world ever spoke so? It is only then the devil , that imposes upon us by these fanatical men. Not one of the Fathers of the Church, though so numerous, ever spoke as the Sacramentarians: not one of them ever said, It is only bread and wine ; or, the body and blood of Christ is not there present .
Surely, it is not credible , nor possible , since they often speak, and repeat their sentiments, that they should never (if they thought so) not so much as once, say, or let slip these words: It is bread only ; or the body of Christ is not there , especially it being of great importance, that men should not be deceived. Certainly, in so many Fathers, and in so many writings, the negative might at least be found in one of them , had they thought the body and blood of Christ were not really present : but they are all of them unanimous.”
and the Pope in a completely unbiased fashion, and I think you will find that a Pope is central to Jesus’s plan.
I would never argue that the pope is not central to the Church. He is. That is why it is so important that the doctrine of universal jurisdiction be debated.

Yes, but he took out 7 books later…
Who , but the devil , has granted such license of wresting the words of the holy Scripture?
even if he was supporting the doctrine of the Eucharist here, to me it seems somewhat hypocritical to say this and then advocate for getting rid of sections of scripture. I truly do feel that he was mentally conflicted in many ways spiritually…not to mention his rough childhood. I wish he had tried to reform what he could within, rather than go off on his own. This to me was his greatest mistake. Even so, surely God will use his mistakes (in my opinion) for good.

In Polish translation used by Catholic Church the word “catholic” is translated into “powszechny” (universal, widespread). This translation is used in both Apostles’ and Nicene Creed. The Catholic Church itself is “Kościół katolicki”, though.
I know some Polish and am familiar with the distinction between “powszechny” and “katolicki”. It has been many years since I assisted at a Polish Mass, and I did not recall the word they used.

In Polish translation used by Catholic Church the word “catholic” is translated into “powszechny” (universal, widespread). This translation is used in both Apostles’ and Nicene Creed. The Catholic Church itself is “Kościół katolicki”, though.
It’s the same in Czech, with the Catholic Church called Katolická Církev, but in the creeds it’s either církev obecná or všeobecná (meaning “universal”, “general”, or even “common” church). Those creeds are pretty much ecumenically accepted across all the churches here.

I am baffled at them replacing catholic with “Christian” though. That doesn’t look like a proper translation to me. I could understand if they translated “catholic” to its English equivalent, but not like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back