L
Larquetta
Guest
Provided, of course, that they still go to Catholic Mass every Sunday.
There are absolutely no absolutes…if you meet your obligation, there is no reason you cannot attend. And, I stress the word “attend”, you should not engage in practices that even seem innocently similar to Catholic Sacraments (specifically what they might call “Holy Communion”.No. Absolutely not.
You’ve left me speechless…almost… Should we build pyres to burn those heretics at the stake?Why would you want to attend? So you can be thrown false ideas made up by heretics?
I wonder in that case if in the early Church the people were like, sure, after mass go worship it up with the Arians, Montanists, and Manichees. Just don’t take part in their sacrament and you’re fine.
No. We just should stay out of their services. It isn’t that difficult.You’ve left me speechless…almost… Should we build pyres to burn those heretics at the stake?
Some will say we should, the question was not what you or I think, but what the Church thinks, and there is no absolute prohibition by the Church for Catholics to attend Protestant services.We just should stay out of their services
You do know that we’ve had an updated Code of Canon Law since 1983?“It is unlawful for the faithful to assist in any active manner, or to take part in the sacred services of non-Catholics.” (1917 Code of Canon Law, Canon 1258, Paragraph 1
Let’s begin by sifting out whether it was a sin from whether it was a permissible action. Again, sinfulness depends on the individual’s knowledge and consent; the action itself can only be determined permissible or not (or moral or immoral). The common belief of average Catholics of the pre-Vatican-II era was that a Catholic could never attend a Protestant service. This understanding was flawed, but it was based upon the Church’s much more restrictive position on Catholics attending non-Catho…
I think @DIERM said this occurred at least 43 years ago, before the 1983 code was in force.You do know that we’ve had an updated Code of Canon Law since 1983?
So, Fauken, are you insinuating my spouse entered into mortal sin, and our marriage is not sacramental? I hope I am misunderstanding, and that you are not being that bold.I think @DIERM said this occurred at least 43 years ago, before the 1983 code was in force.
I’m saying nothing other than that @Prodigal1984 cited the 1917 canon because that would have been the code in force at the time you mentioned.So, Fauken, are you insinuating my spouse entered into mortal sin, and our marriage is not sacramental? I hope I am misunderstanding, and that you are not being that bold.
But the Church once believed that the earth not the sun was the center for the universe…they know better now…that does not mean that the salvation of those who hypothesized differently, before the new science was accepted by Rome, is in question.I’m saying nothing other than that @Prodigal1984 cited the 1917 canon because that would have been the code in force at the time you mentioned.