Yep, Catholics do have a Mass obligation.
My favorite Protestant service was the one that I went to with my husband, children, mom, dad, grandma, and aunt.
I filled out a visitor’s card and the pastor called me to ask us to come back for another service. I explained that I was very happy with my Catholic faith and had attended Mass on Saturday evening so I could go to church with family on Sunday.
My dad was a combat wounded veteran who believed in Jesus, but couldn’t forgive himself for what he’d done in the war. My dad was also a long-time alcoholic.
I told that good Southern Baptist preacher my story and about my dad, and how I had offered many a Mass on bended Knee for my father. I asked the pastor to please come to my parents home, visit with them, and ask them to come back because my dad really liked the people and service.
The pastor honored my request. My dad and mom started attending that church. My dad quit drinking, became a deacon, and was given 2 years to live a few years later. Well, that little country church was starting a two-year Bible study that would run from Genesis to revelation. My dad was very upbeat, saying he’d do the Bible study and go on to meet his maker.
My dad lived another 10 years after the Bible study concluded. (Medicare would call his doctor and ask if my dad was still alive and why.)
My dad went home to be with the Lord in 2016. He was ready to go and told us he had seen Jesus and that Jesus was coming for him. My dad had a “good death” as we say in healthcare. He died peacefully with my mom at his side and we all had ample time to give him our love and appreciation and say our goodbyes.
Sometimes it is ok to attend a protestant service, but I made sure to get to Mass if I went to a different church service with family or friends.