Is It Time to Invade Burma? [A Just War?]

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
And we have had some very “silly” ideas for remedying unfortunate conditions. Many of the “remedies” point at war/military intervention/threats.

“…Invade Burma?” Wouldn’t that bring on more death? Destruction? Enmity? It would be another “deja vu all over again” not dissimilar from Vietnam.

When does the U.S. begin to use diplomacy in its dealings with other nations?
We are using diplomacy in Berma, and tens of thousands of people are dying each day. Again, this isn’t my idea, and I am not necessarily advocating it. This “silly” idea comes from Time Magazine. But the fact is as we talk, tens of thousands of people are dying and it is very possible that we are rapidly running out of time to save hundreds of thousands more.

BURMA DEATHS ‘COULD TOP A MILLION’…

…junta still blocking cyclone aid

Tragedy grows worse…** **
 
Yes, I also have friends in the Air Force and Navy who have been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan. The point I was making is that while you can argue that the Marines and Army are still “strained” because of current deployments, neither the Air Force nor Navy are “strained” because of Iraq and Afghanistan, which is what the poster I was responding to was inferring. These services still have excess capacity to be engaged elsewhere, say for humanitarian reasons, if necessary.
No, those who remain home are supporting the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. If they left thier jobs in the US the troops now in the Middle East would suffer.

I hope that we can help those in Myanmer but I am not certain how we can. Has the UN become so useless that no one looks to that organization for guidance anymore? Why can’t all the countries get together and decide to help with food drops instead of putting the burden on an already strained US military shoulders.
 
We are using diplomacy in Berma, and tens of thousands of people are dying each day. Again, this isn’t my idea, and I am not necessarily advocating it. This “silly” idea comes from Time Magazine. But the fact is as we talk, tens of thousands of people are dying and it is very possible that we are rapidly running out of time to save hundreds of thousands more.

BURMA DEATHS ‘COULD TOP A MILLION’…

…junta still blocking cyclone aid

Tragedy grows worse…
I am glad that Time admits that diplomacy doesn’t always work. There seems to be a trend among some in the media to believe that just talking nice to a dictator will make them change their ways.
 
I hope that we can help those in Myanmer but I am not certain how we can. Has the UN become so useless that no one looks to that organization for guidance anymore? Why can’t all the countries get together and decide to help with food drops instead of putting the burden on an already strained US military shoulders.
If your neighbor’s town was destroyed by a cyclone would you wait for the fire departments to come before you helped? What if there was a gang preventing people from aiding them? What if the fire department never came? I think these are the moral issues here.

Again, the Navy and Air force are not that “strained” that they cannot help. We already have sent assets to the area around Burma that are stationed in that part of the Pacific anyway, and I don’t think people here even noticed it until I posted it.

The UN takes time to gear up to help in every big disaster. Always have. The US Navy is usually among the first humanitarian relief groups on scene in international disasters.
 
If your neighbor’s town was destroyed by a cyclone would you wait for the fire departments to come before you helped? What if there was a gang preventing people from aiding them? What if the fire department never came? I think these are the moral issues here.

Again, the Navy and Air force are not that “strained” that they cannot help. We already have sent assets to the area around Burma that are stationed in that part of the Pacific anyway, and I don’t think people here even noticed it until I posted it.

The UN takes time to gear up to help in every big disaster. Always have. The US Navy is usually among the first humanitarian relief groups on scene in international disasters.
So, then, “invasion” is becoming more of an option?
 
So, then, “invasion” is becoming more of an option?
I don’t know. Intervention? Just going in and distributing aid with force protection? I don’t know. It is a tough call, but a lot of people are dying as we talk.
 
So, then, “invasion” is becoming more of an option?
We have to make certain that anything that we do actually has the effect of helping the people of Mynamer. Sometimes people have a tendency to want to act without thinking through all the implications of our actions. Will an outright invasion actually help or will it cause more suffering to these people? Food drops sound good to me but someone has pointed out that not enough people would get our food.

My Church took up a second donation for these people but I have no idea if our money will actually help anyone in this country.😦

If we invade this country then why not invade North Korea that has as much, if not more suffering?
 
I don’t know. Intervention? Just going in and distributing aid with force protection? I don’t know. It is a tough call, but a lot of people are dying as we talk.
Since this Forum is about people’s thougthts/opinions and, as to your indecision" about invasion allow me to be more specific: I am against invasion. It is clear in my mind.
 
Since this Forum is about people’s thougthts/opinions and, as to your indecision" about invasion allow me to be more specific: I am against invasion. It is clear in my mind.
So the solution is?

This reminds me of a story:

During the US Civil War, General Grant had just lost a major skirmish with Gen Lee and thousands (that’s right thousands) of troops were laying injured in the no-mans land between the two forces (mainly Grant’s troops). Gen Grant and Lee discussed cease fire terms for three days. When the cease fire was finally agreed upon there were only 4 men left alive out there.
 
Lovely… let’s just go invade another country, without a congressional declaration of war, without consulting taxpayers, and wasting who knows how many billions when our economy is already entering a depression.

I mean hey, Vietnam, Mogadishu, and Iraq turned out so lovely this should also be a piece of cake, right?
 
Lovely… let’s just go invade another country, without a congressional declaration of war, without consulting taxpayers, and wasting who knows how many billions when our economy is already entering a depression.

I mean hey, Vietnam, Mogadishu, and Iraq turned out so lovely this should also be a piece of cake, right?
We already have most of our military fighting in the sand, so we have to train another segment to fight in the jungle.

For some folks: War is ALWAYS the answer.

Next January this Country is going to change big time…one way or the other.

Our Nation is in a mess.
 
saylo and jaxson,

OK, we dont’ go to war. But what is your answer for Burma?
 
saylo and jaxson,

OK, we dont’ go to war. But what is your answer for Burma?
You see, people like me do not live off of military welfare or taxpayers money, so I suggest this concept some of us call “non-government charity” and “using our own money instead of someone else through taxation theft”. And if the Burmese government won’t allow goods into the country, then the people there will have to rise up and overthrow them themselves. We can also help by getting rid of any sanctions we have on Burma, since the government there uses our sanctions as a propaganda tool to their people by telling them that we are starving them intentionally.
 
We already have most of our military fighting in the sand, so we have to train another segment to fight in the jungle.

For some folks: War is ALWAYS the answer.

Next January this Country is going to change big time…one way or the other.

Our Nation is in a mess.
War isn’t always the answer; in fact, is should rarely be the answer. However, many posters in this thread associate the military only with war. We train very hard for humanitarian assistance–it’s one of our mission essential tasks. That’s probably something many people without a military connection don’t realize, and we do it a lot more than the press ever covers. Relatively speaking, very few troops on the ground–just enough to protect ourselves and our supply lines. We rely heavily on non-governmental agencies, host nation, as well as state department agencies, as Gilliam said, to ensure the supplies we bring in are distributed. Our military shouldn’t attempt to rebuild the nation, just provide the tools for the nation to rebuild itself.

As we speak, more and more aid is being allowed in, and that’s good. It’s a shame, though, that potentially thousands of preventable deaths have to happen because of a recalcitrant government.
 
You see, people like me do not live off of military welfare or taxpayers money, so I suggest this concept some of us call “non-government charity” and “using our own money instead of someone else through taxation theft”. And if the Burmese government won’t allow goods into the country, then the people there will have to rise up and overthrow them themselves. We can also help by getting rid of any sanctions we have on Burma, since the government there uses our sanctions as a propaganda tool to their people by telling them that we are starving them intentionally.
There is no point in invading Myanmar.

But just how do you expect the people to “rise up and overthrow them themselves?” And if they did, how would the results be any different from a foreign invasion? And, supposing the uprising succeeded, how do we know the change would be for the better?
 
You see, people like me do not live off of military welfare or taxpayers money, so I suggest this concept some of us call “non-government charity” and “using our own money instead of someone else through taxation theft”.
I can’t even tell what you’re talking about. What is “military welfare”? Are you saying we shouldn’t use our taxpayers’ money to help these people?
And if the Burmese government won’t allow goods into the country, then the people there will have to rise up and overthrow them themselves.
First they have to bury their dead. Lucky for us, the French didn’t feel that way toward America in 1776.
 
Any invasion of Burma will only make things worse. Their dictatorship won’t last forever, and the more they tighten their grip, the more angry the people will get towards them.
 
Any invasion of Burma will only make things worse. Their dictatorship won’t last forever, and the more they tighten their grip, the more angry the people will get towards them.
I agree that we have no compelling national interest that would justify invading Myanmar. And if an invasion were justified, there are plenty of other nations in the world who could do the job.

But to the people dying now, the dictatorship will last forever – since they will not live to see the end of it.
 
Am I the only one wondering why this is in the War on Terror forum?

btw…I vote “no” to invading, but I think we should continue efforts to get aid to the people.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top