Is it wrong to work in a drugstore where I sometimes have to ring up plan B pills?

• Thread starter Thread starter mcifrese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I’m not mistaken, the Church would allow a rape victim to take a ‘morning after’ pill after the rape.
ETA: the reason being that the “attack is still happening.”

Last edited:
Roads are used for evil, so we should work on them?
Only if they are specifically designed and used for something evil. Opportunistic use for evil is a different matter.

Last edited:
I would link you to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops website where they have a great page full of documents on emergency contraception, but their recent site redesign broke all the links and the files are unavailable.

Last edited:
The answer depends on your state and jurisdiction. Conscientious objection is a hot topic right now. In Arizona, CVS threw their pharmacist under the bus when he stood up for his conscience rights. Caveat operatur .
I think we really need to differentiate between a doctor prescribing something/a pharmacist filling it and a cashier ringing up a sale. A cashier isn’t really a decision maker in any capacity in this interaction. He or she is simply recording a transaction between the individual and CVS the business. Just because he or she is the one scanning your purchase doesn’t mean you’re buying whatever it is from them.

The interaction is between the buyer and CVS the company, not the buyer and the cashier.

Yet the interaction cannot occur without the cashier.

Last edited:
Oh good, I’ll send my 12-year-old cousin down for a six-pack of beer, and have the cashier “record the transaction”.

Oh good, I’ll send my 12-year-old cousin down for a six-pack of beer, and have the cashier “record the transaction”.
…but that would actually be illegal. This is not a good analogy, senor.

Yet the interaction cannot occur without the cashier.
Not to be pedantic, but this is increasingly not true.

But my point is there is a difference in an action in which you have discretion and choice and one in which you are simply making records of other people’s decisions.

Excellent point. While the business could face civil liability, the cashier could face criminal liability.

Last edited:
Let’s try some other reasons: I am drunk and homeless, I want a can of Steel Beer. Cashier has a right to refuse me?
I am 25; I present a passport from Outer Elbonia as proof of age. The cashier cannot be sure it is authentic. Cashier has a right to refuse me?
I present an EBT “Food Stamps” card for payment. Cashier has a right to refuse me?

You know I worked in diamond jewelry business for years and passed on same sex couple purchases.
I lost alot of money. But I refused to help and called another over.God frowns on this. I am not a homophobe. So maybe remove yourself. They will buy it anyway.

Ps lesbians spend about 5000 more on engagement rings so step it up guys.

Last edited:
Excellent point. While the business could face civil liability, the cashier could face criminal liability.
The business will almost always face civil liability. Whether the individual cashier is liable varies by state.

Let’s try some other reasons: I am drunk and homeless, I want a can of Steel Beer. Cashier has a right to refuse me?
I am 25; I present a passport from Outer Elbonia as proof of age. The cashier cannot be sure it is authentic. Cashier has a right to refuse me?
I present an EBT “Food Stamps” card for payment. Cashier has a right to refuse me?
Is the cashier also the owner of the store? Does the cashier have decision making authority here? What does state law say?

Take another scenario. You go to McDonalds and buy a Big Mac. A bored 17 year old takes your order and watches you swipe your credit card.

Who did you buy a burger from? McDonalds, or Gary, the pimply junior in high school?

Gary should be ashamed of himself for enabling obesity, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and poor fitness.

Plan B is often in a lockbox along with other restricted and high-value high-theft items.

Never done self check out?
I was actually tempted to proactively address this potential rebuttal on my last reply, but I figured that you would have realized that it was beside the point. :roll_eyes:

To respond, a human cashier has free will. The self checkout doesn’t.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back