Your post contains some good points and some nonsense. I want to settle the nonsense before moving on.
I was merely pointing out the absurdity of saying that a singular word must refer to a singular, non-compound, entity.
That is not what singular means. (
google.com/search?q=singular&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US
fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=singular+definition&rls=org.mozilla:en-US
fficial)
I really don’t see what is so complicated here. When we say “one thing” it doesn’t mean that the one thing has no parts. Your usage of the phrase is bizarre and incorrect.
The argumentum ad populum is a logical fallacy.
Once again, an inadequate grasp of basic logic proves your undoing.
**Just because an “argument form” is invalid, it does not follow that every “instantiation” of that “form” is invalid. See Peter Smith
An Introduction to Formal Logic pg. 25-27.
The redeeming element of my argument is the fact that languages are developed by convention. Believe it or not, there is nothing about the sound
wrong that necessitates that the word
wrong should mean what it does. The word represents a concept, but the choice of what sound or symbols we will use to represent that concept is a convention.
Because the phrase “one thing” is common (over 67 million google results for an exact match), and because languages are developed by convention, taking the common usage is an entirely reasonable way to see what it means–in fact, you could perhaps say it is THE reasonable way to see what it means. Surely it’s better than your
ipse dixit.
That, followed by this, really raises some eyebrows:
Then why do you talk about essences if you do not know their properties?
First, I didn’t say or imply that I didn’t know. I also refuse to do so now. You are jumping to unfounded conclusions. Why couldn’t I refuse to bring this up because:
a) You have a tendency to go off topic. OR
b) You are unclear about what “split” means. Do we get two wholes? One divide the parts? To completely different and new things?
A bit of straw man mixed with an
ad hominem. Not pretty.
Second, you imply that I shouldn’t talk about things unless I fully understand them. I reject this claim. But more to the point, you are being somewhat hypocritical. **As your past posts have demonstrated, your grasp of logic is sorely lacking. Does this mean you can’t talk about logic? **
Your grasp of English is wanting as well. Perhaps you shouldn’t talk at all?
Now, as I said, I reject your claim and thus I don’t say you should stop trying to use logic and stop trying to write English. But if you are going to apply this principle, start with yourself.
You have implied that you do so by calling me “nominalist”.
I did
not call you a nominalist. We have a record of everything I said, show me where I said that.
I said several things that could maybe be streched to mean that, but my search through this thread indicates that I pointed out that Nominalism has problems that are similar to the problems in your position. I also said:
However, this doesn’t fit in very well with nominalism. I’ll wait for you to clarify whether you are a nominalist, or whether there are just similarities between nominalism and your position before going into the contradiction further (though it should be fairly obvious).
Do you expect me to include a disclaimer like this every time I use the word “nominalism”? Once should be enough. On that note, I noticed you missed my question:
**What could I have said to make this more clear? **(And yes, I do really want an answer to that.)
Once you separate all of your rubbish from your actual arguments, I’ll answer those.