C
Carlus_Magnus
Guest
St. Francis De Sales (c. +1602): “And if you consider closely how the Council [of Trent] compares Traditions with the Scriptures you will see that it does not receive a Tradition contrary to Scripture: for it receives Tradition and Scripture with equal honor, because both the one and the other are most sweet and pure streams, which spring from one same mouth of our Lord, as from a living fountain of wisdom, and therefore cannot be contrary, but are of the same taste and quality…” (The Catholic Controversy, p. 245.)I absolutely agree with you.
The question is can Tradition contradict Scripture, and if so does Tradition/Magesterium have more authority than Scripture? I don’t believe so, but rather that all three are meant to “function” in harmony.
I accept many Church teachings which are extra-Biblical: her assumption, that Mary had no other children (the “mother and brothers are waiting outside” thing), I pray the Rosary including the second half which is not Biblical and refers to Mary as the Mother of God. Others too that I can’t think of. I love Mary and take comfort in her prayers for me.
Is “co-redeemer” a necessary article of faith for a Catholic?