Is my marriage valid? Protestant and Catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter MarkParker87
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
His wife was and the canon applied to her. As for radical sanation, the marriage is valid from the day the radical sanation is granted.
Which in no way prevents her from marriage, her sin of ommission does not affect her marriage in anyway until she meets the holier than thou group. She is out of communion with the Church until she rectifies sin, which requires no public process at all.
 
Would you go back and read post #32 I understand it was posted to another person. By the way I hope you know the meaning of the word “valid” as used in Canon 1108, and explain that properly to all you make these statements. Also you may want to mention to them the book of Canon Law which is rather significant, as is the Part, Title, and Chapter once those contexts are properly installed there is considerably different meaning. And please by all means explain to them the Radical Sanation method used by the Church to recognize the marriage which as you write never occurred. - thanks
Why don’t you tell me what part of “valid” you don’t understand? It is not equal to “sacramental”, it is not equal to “natural”, it means “real”. Canon 1108 clearly says that a Catholic does not contract a valid (REAL) marriage unless before his ordinary or pastor (notwithstanding dispensation).
 
Are you sure about that? Has licit been changed also? Who changed it and when? Are you familiar with Natural Moral Law?
Let’s see…
Licit marriage: a valid Catholic marriage where all the rules have been followed.
Illicit marriage: a valid Catholic marriage where certain rules were not followed – for example, the priest forgot to get the Bishop’s permission for the Catholic groom to marry the baptized non-Catholic bride.
 
Are you sure about that? Has licit been changed also? Who changed it and when? Are you familiar with Natural Moral Law?
I’m fairly certain. A valid baptism makes one a Christian. An invalid baptism means one is not baptized.
A valid Eucharist is the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus. An invalid Eucharist is just bread and wine.
A valid marriage effects a marriage. An invalid marriage means the two are not married (to each other).

The Catholic Church recognizes marriages between non-Catholics as valid.
The Catholic Church recognizes marriages between baptized Protestants as valid and sacramental.
The Catholic Church recognizes marriages between unbaptized persons as valid and natural.
The Catholic Church recognizes a marriage between an unbaptized person and a Catholic who has obtained the proper dispensations as valid and natural.
The Catholic Church recognizes a marriage between a baptized Protestant and a Catholic who has obtained the proper dispensations as valid and sacramental.
The Catholic Church recognizes a marriage between Catholics, according to the norms of canon law, as valid and sacramental.

There is no such thing as a natural but invalid marriage.

Licit means “conducted according to the law”. Illicit means “not conducted according to the law”. Illicit may still be valid.

I’m not aware that either of those words has changed meaning over the last several centuries. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Please tell me about Natural Moral Law and how it applies to the current discussion.
 
Let’s see…
Licit marriage: a valid Catholic marriage where all the rules have been followed.
Illicit marriage: a valid Catholic marriage where certain rules were not followed – for example, the priest forgot to get the Bishop’s permission for the Catholic groom to marry the baptized non-Catholic bride.
I’m fairly certain. A valid baptism makes one a Christian. An invalid baptism means one is not baptized.
A valid Eucharist is the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus. An invalid Eucharist is just bread and wine.
A valid marriage effects a marriage. An invalid marriage means the two are not married (to each other).

The Catholic Church recognizes marriages between non-Catholics as valid.
The Catholic Church recognizes marriages between baptized Protestants as valid and sacramental.
The Catholic Church recognizes marriages between unbaptized persons as valid and natural.
The Catholic Church recognizes a marriage between an unbaptized person and a Catholic who has obtained the proper dispensations as valid and natural.
The Catholic Church recognizes a marriage between a baptized Protestant and a Catholic who has obtained the proper dispensations as valid and sacramental.
The Catholic Church recognizes a marriage between Catholics, according to the norms of canon law, as valid and sacramental.

There is no such thing as a natural but invalid marriage.

Licit means “conducted according to the law”. Illicit means “not conducted according to the law”. Illicit may still be valid.

I’m not aware that either of those words has changed meaning over the last several centuries. Perhaps you could enlighten me.

Please tell me about Natural Moral Law and how it applies to the current discussion.
Are you sure, are you done, or will you need to change or add to the definitions in the future?
 
Thank you for all your replies, everyone. The truth is… Although it pains me to say it… I’m not sure if this marriage will survive much longer. As much as I try to make it work I feel like my wife is giving up on me. I try to avoid a split up for our son, because I don’t want him to suffer. I don’t want to be selfish, but it’s just so had to live with someone that once promised to love me forever but now seems to resent me and I don’t feel the love from her anymore and I’m not sure what is going on. There is alot more arguing than there ever used to be, although usually I try to keep quiet in order to avoid an argument, she seems to to have no problem in starting one. She doesn’t want my touch, my hugs, my kisses, or intimacy hardly ever. I know things change after being married for a while and I’m not expecting to have the ‘‘puppy love’’ ‘‘lubby dubby’’ stuff all the time, I just want to feel loved and I don’t think I ask for too much.

I will try to keep this marriage together, but in my current condition:: ((Her being Catholic and me non-Catholic at the time of marriage at a Protestant Church with no dispensation or approval or blessing from the Catholic Church))

Do you think that if one day we do get divorced will an annulment be possible?

Will I be able to find someone else in the future if we seperate?

Again, I don’t want this to happen, I just… I just… I don’t know how much more I can do this.
 
Thank you for all your replies, everyone. The truth is… Although it pains me to say it… I’m not sure if this marriage will survive much longer. As much as I try to make it work I feel like my wife is giving up on me. I try to avoid a split up for our son, because I don’t want him to suffer. I don’t want to be selfish, but it’s just so had to live with someone that once promised to love me forever but now seems to resent me and I don’t feel the love from her anymore and I’m not sure what is going on. There is alot more arguing than there ever used to be, although usually I try to keep quiet in order to avoid an argument, she seems to to have no problem in starting one. She doesn’t want my touch, my hugs, my kisses, or intimacy hardly ever. I know things change after being married for a while and I’m not expecting to have the ‘‘puppy love’’ ‘‘lubby dubby’’ stuff all the time, I just want to feel loved and I don’t think I ask for too much.

I will try to keep this marriage together, but in my current condition:: ((Her being Catholic and me non-Catholic at the time of marriage at a Protestant Church with no dispensation or approval or blessing from the Catholic Church))

Do you think that if one day we do get divorced will an annulment be possible?

Will I be able to find someone else in the future if we seperate?

Again, I don’t want this to happen, I just… I just… I don’t know how much more I can do this.
If it is decided by your parish priest that a convalidation is needed then I would NOT go ahead with a convalidation until these issues are resolved. Also remember if this is the route you decide to go you will need to decide between living as man and wife (vs brother and sister) and the Eucharist - I am sorry you are going through this. I just got divorced as well and it is very painful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top