Is pipe smoking a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MCH2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
All that I know is that smoking a pipe seems to add 15 IQ points in others’ perception of you. And, some of the pipe tobaccos have an utterly delightful aroma. I shall forever remember my uncle Paul, as the aroma of his pipe tobacco was absolutely wonderful. He did not die of any smoking-related cause.

When interviewed in his 70s, George Burns was asked:
Q: What does your doctor say about your cigar smoking?
A: He told me that if I don’t quit, I’ll be dead in 10 years.
Q: It’s 10 years later. What does your doctor say now?
A: I don’t know. He’s dead.
 
Pipe smoking is a wonderfully relaxing hobby that goes great with whisk(e)y and good literature. I try to have at least one pipe a week. These people saying anything bad for you is sinful must have never had dessert in their lives. I pity them.
 
This just in from our “Holy Smokes” bereau…

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Bernadette Soubirous had childhood asthma and her physician prescribed snuff for it (her snuff box is on display at Lourdes). When she was sixteen, in school, she later remembered, “One Sister was shocked when I started everybody sneezing by passing snuff around while she droned away in French.” After she had entered the convent later in life, “She produced her snuff box at recreation one day, to the great scandal of a Sister. She cried out: ‘Oh, Sister Marie-Bernard Soubirous, you will never be canonized.’ ‘Why not?’ asked the ‘snuffer.’ ‘Because you snuff. That bad habit almost disqualified St. Vincent de Paul.’ ‘And you, Sister Chantal,’ twinkled the Saint-to-be in reply, ‘you are going to be canonized because you don’t indulge.’”

St. Pius X is the Pope of the Eucharist. He lowered the age for first Communion and encouraged people to receive daily.

Here he is on a cigar box.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

St. Pius X one day called a bunch of bad priests into his office. He offered them each a cigar. They refused saying that they would not partake in such vices. He replied that since these priests partook of every vice there was, smoking must not be one!

Leo XIII favored snuff. Before he became pope, he had served for a time as papal nuncio in Brussels and enjoyed the conversation and company of the cultured and easy-going aristocrats there. One evening at dinner, a certain Count, who was a Freethinker, thought he would have a little fun at the nuncio’s expense, and he handed him a snuff box to examine, which had on its cover a painting of a beautiful nude woman. The men of the party watched the progress of the joke, and as for the Count he was choking with laughter, until the Nuncio deferentially returned the box with the remark: ‘Very pretty, indeed, Count. I presume it is the portrait of the Countess?’… Toward the end of the pope’s life, he suffered when he had to give up tobacco on the advice of his physicians.

Pius IX was an inveterate snuff-taker, and was so effusive and constant in it that he often had to change his long white soutane a few times a day—it was white, after all, and the snuff dust would settle on it. He offered snuff, and snuff-boxes to visitors. The Church had established a monopoly on the tobacco trade in the Papal States and, in 1863, during his pontificate, consolidated its tobacco processing operations under the Pontifical Director of Salt and Tobacco in a newly erected building on the Piazza Mastai in the Trastevere district in Rome.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

“Smoke 'em if you’ve got 'em!” 😀

*****EDIT: Whoops! Sorry, Tis Bearself. I just noticed I snitched some of your smoke & thunder! Sorry! Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? 😍

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
Last edited:
It is a sin to smoke while praying,
but it is good to pray while smoking. 😉🚬
 
Last edited:
It depends. Honestly, I think time travel is potentially sinful. Also, I think if you need this to calm down you may want to explore healthier holier options. And it could be sinful to those around you that have noses.
Now if indeed, you find yourself lacking in strength as your skinny girlfriend is being carried off by some brute and your anchor tats are drooping, then forget the botulism, open that tin can of spinach, smoke that pipe and go get that skinny girl of yours…

Sorry, couldn’t help it.
 
Rooster Cogburn: “Well, Sister, how do you stand on the sin of tobacco?”
Eula: “Well, I know of no passage to prove it, but I’m certain that the Good Lord smokes fine cigars.”
 
I am willing to bet that the tobacco or snuff use by members of orders also helped with fasting. It is an appetite suppressant after all.
 
This just in from our “Holy Smokes” bereau…

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Should be captioned in the seminary yearbook, “Hurry up and take the picture before Monsignor sees us!”
 
Not being funny but if you’ve ever seen someone suffering from end stage lung cancer you’d never smoke again. I grew up in a smoking household, it killed my mother. Don’t know how anyone can justify the risks of passive smoking to others which makes it way worse than a personal ‘vice’. 😞
 
Smoking tobacco is not a sin if it is done in moderation:

CCC 2290 The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess : the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine. Those incur grave guilt who, by drunkenness or a love of speed, endanger their own and others’ safety on the road, at sea, or in the air.
 
Last edited:
Agree that smoking is unhealthful, but the argument that smoking has no value whatsoever is not a very good one. One could easily argue that soda has no value whatsoever. Beer, french fries, mushrooms, watching cartoons, reading comic books, shining shoes, etc. Their lack of value does not make them sinful
 
Smoking is addictive as it contains nicotine. A person may go to confession for addictions and given absolution even though it may recur. Ask the priest about “culpability”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top