Is reverse aging a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter JacobHarrison
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we think back to the science fiction movies of the 50s, we can see that some of it is coming true. Is that the future we will create for ourselves and our posterity?

We invariably err when we usurp God’s authority.

As if He isn’t. Restoring our lifespans to that of antediluvian people in no way undermines the sovereignty of God.

At least since 1960, actual plans were prepared to establish a Moon base. It was carefully thought out. More Earth-like planets are being found. NASA is studying alternatives to chemical rockets. This research will continue. The goal is obvious. Once certain technical problems are solved, man will colonize those worlds that are Earth-like. Instead of attempting to terra-form Mars, man may get the technology to visit other worlds, and if they are compatible with human beings, to live there.

why on earth would we prefer to remain here in this drudgery, only to be killed in a traffic accident or a fall down a flight of stairs?
Well, people already die everyday from accidents…
What is the message to God in that?
Seriously? A longer life doesn’t have to be one of sin. There’ll be many saints who’ll live long lives of heroic virtue.
You still have to stand before God and explain your 1,000 year life.
No more so than people who’re currently living.
And many more chances to sin
Thankfully, you’ll have plenty of opportunities for Confession and gaining Plenary Indulgences.
Why don’t we just let God be in charge?
Extending your life isn’t magically usurping God. According to Genesis, humans used to live much longer lives. If anything, we’d be getting back on track.
We invariably err when we usurp God’s authority.
God gave us the gift of Science. Ethically used, it’s good and accomplishing what He intended.

Last edited:
As the goal in this life is to spend eternity with God, plus considering we will still have concupiscence to sin , as someone else said living longer means I’d just wrack up more sins than I already have to give account for. At least if one dies in the state of grace a soul either goes straight to heaven or purgatory and in both places they cannot sin and offend God anymore, AND get to be with Him a lot sooner. To me that’s a huge bonus which outweighs living longer.

Looking at life in general now, the retirement age has been raised - I remember when seniors were classed as old when reached 60. Even now people are living longer, but there is not always quality of life.

I have found in general that when people imagine a future like this, it is always when people remain youthful, have no illnesses, there’s no crime, no suffering, if a body part fails or becomes unfunctional - no problem a new one can be manufactured and you’ll all set to go.

Then if the assumption that science will have found ways to and be able to prevent diseases including preventing people being born with disabilities (primarily through gene editing - & I think I can guess how God would look upon gene editing) - this might not necessarily equate to living a healthy active life as is normal when a person is in their 20s or 30s etc.

But what if the future is not all rosy? What if the future is the opposite - more wars, more greed, more violence, more suffering but people all lived until their 800s or longer?

And when I consider humanity’s history of wars and all the other ills in society and the suffering that went with all of those - no thanks.

There are two questions here. One is a proof of concept in mice. Ask yourself, do I want to live for three, four or five hundred years or a thousand?

The other involves practicality. This has already been addressed in science fiction. Would it be practical to live a lot longer than humans do now?

Ethics usually go out the window once certain people get involved.
Ever read “The Immortals” (Le Grand SecretI) by René Barjavel? In that novel JFK was assassinated because he’d contracted the immortality virus and there was a world-wide conspiracy to keep the virus’s existence a secret. The first symptom of having contracted the virus was the ability to see red in the dark. Once they knew you had it you were whisked away to a secret island but they couldn’t do that with the president so they had to kill him.

Self-explanatory: God was in control before the Great Flood and remains in control now. If God was okay with the antediluvian people living over 900 years, there’s no reason why He would object to the same today.

Have you seen the movie “Death becomes her”?
If that won’t take your mind of wanting a longer life I don’t know what else will. 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back