C
Chiefsinner
Guest
I’m just curious about this is the lumen fidei infallible document?
If the Church has not made it clear that it is infallible, then it is not. But, for Catholics, this distinction is completely irrelevant. It is authoritative. Infallibility is totally irrelevant to the Catholic in the pew. It is of interest only to a few Catholic theologians.I’m just curious about this is the lumen fidei infallible document?
What David said.If the Church has not made it clear that it is infallible, then it is not. But, for Catholics, this distinction is completely irrelevant. It is authoritative. Infallibility is totally irrelevant to the Catholic in the pew. It is of interest only to a few Catholic theologians.
The key is if there is some definitive judgment as to a truth of faith or morality. Does the Pope in that document lay down definitively the law of belief, so to speak, for the whole Church? I don’t think so, so it would not be considered strictly infallible based on papal authority. The point of this particular encyclical seems to be an aid to help us understand and apply “the law of belief” with respect to Catholic dogma about the theological virtue of faith, rather than a definitive judgment as to what that law of belief is (in fact, it explicitly presumes the law of belief already laid down definitively by the First Vatican Council). We would all, however, be bound to make a sincere attempt to assent to it and apply it with the proper respect for the teaching authority of the Pope.I’m just curious about this is the lumen fidei infallible document?
I hate answering a question with another question, but I can’t help not fall into this temptation.I’m just curious about this is the lumen fidei infallible document?
I worded that poorly. What I should have said is that we cannot consider it to be de Fide (of the Faith, irreformable - ie, infallible) until the Church tells us so. The Church could, at any time, recognize any teaching as infallible, including this one. Such an action, however, is VERY rare. The Church only recognizes a teaching in this manner if She feels there is a practical need for doing so. This happened fairly recently, when John Paul the Great declared the infallible nature of the teaching that the Church has no authority to ordain women. I’m pretty sure this is the only such example that has occurred in my lifetime (approaching a half-century). And the teaching itself did not come from the Pope, but from the Ordinary Magesterium (the Bishops). JPtG only made it clear that the teaching is infallible.If the Church has not made it clear that it is infallible, then it is not.
I did not word that poorly. Infallibility means nothing to the guy in the pew. There is no reason why most laypeople should care one way or another.But, for Catholics, this distinction is completely irrelevant. It is authoritative. Infallibility is totally irrelevant to the Catholic in the pew. It is of interest only to a few Catholic theologians.