Is the popular hymn "Amazing Grace" heretical and unsuitable for Catholic liturgy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lepanto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don’t find anything wrong with it. However, now thinking about it, I did plan that song for Mass next weekend. 🤷
 
Amazing Grace is a protestant hymn, I think Fr. Paul is right.

From EWTN Library.
Many Roman Catholic hymnals published in this country during the past
fifteen years include the Protestant “gospel” hymn, “Amazing Grace,”
presumably because the source of the “American traditional” tune (“New
Britain” or “McIntosh”) is the “Virginia Harmony” published in 1831 by
James P. Carrell and David S. Clayton, and most often sung today in the
harmonization of Edwin O. Excell. The tune may be “American traditional,”
but which tradition does the text reflect? A Catholic tradition? A current
non-Catholic hymnal15 prints “Amazing Grace” under the sectional heading
“The Gospel–Repentance and Forgiveness,” and one can find the hymn in the
topical index under “Grace,” “Salvation,” and “Testimony.” The author of
the text, John Newton (1725/1807) was an evangelical divine in Great
Britain who “in theology was a pronounced Calvinist,” as the standard
theological reference works inform us. “Pronounced Calvinism” implies
adherence to Calvin’s doctrine of the inamissibility of divine grace and
the certitude of salvation, as well as those basic doctrines characteristic
of Lutheranism. One is therefore not surprised to find the personal
pronouns, “I, me and my,” more than ten times in the text, which leads one
to suspect that the author held a typically Lutheran “reflexive” faith.16
Here, the legitimate liturgist cannot forbear to ask whether the
archetypical attitudes “sola gratia” or “sola scriptura” are in fact
specifically Catholic themes–those central to our Catholic identity"
(Hubley)? If not, then could it be that the presence of such themes in a
hymn text might eventually produce a “lulling effect upon our Catholic
consciousness” (Hubley)?
 
I mostly have a theological problem with the second verse which says that faith preceeds grace. I dislike the hymn but mostly because it is overused and rarely sung well.
 
So is “Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty, Early in the morning…” but that isn’t stopping us.
There’s an important difference. “Holy…” only expresses sound doctrine (at least the verses I can remember off the top of my head–there might be others). On the other hand, Amazing Grace expresses Luther’s heresy of sola gratia, and that’s a serious problem.

We can overcome problems like the original writer being non-Catholic (a minor problem in and of itself, yet not entirely insignificant), and the larger problem of the overly-personal use of the first-person, and even the problem that this hymn belongs to a non-Catholic tradition. All of these might possibly be overcome. But there’s no way that we can legitimately sing what we know to be heresy at Mass.
 
Good Grief.
:rolleyes:

I think the author of that article has gone way over the top. WAY, WAY over the top.

Heritical? Pulleeezzzee. The best he can come up with is “questionable” theologically.

IF we wanted to be theologically correct, then every reference to “bread” in hymns that are sung during communion would have to be stricken, as after the consecration, it’s no longer bread (unless we add “the appearance of” into each and every hymn.
 
Good Grief.
:rolleyes:

I think the author of that article has gone way over the top. WAY, WAY over the top.

Heritical? Pulleeezzzee. The best he can come up with is “questionable” theologically.

IF we wanted to be theologically correct, then every reference to “bread” in hymns that are sung during communion would have to be stricken, as after the consecration, it’s no longer bread (unless we add “the appearance of” into each and every hymn.
Lol. Maybe people are trying to dispute the hymn because it’s used a lot and they want to put an end to it.
 
Amazing Grace is one of my favorite hymns, because it tells where Jesus brought me from and where I am going:clapping: Sing it every Sunday!!!
 
The first year CAF started, Karl Keating posted on a similar thread against the imprudence of this song. The equating of the infusion of grace, which Catholics believe occurs at baptism when one is an infant, with the assent of faith. However, when one realizes that the song is not a theological treatise, but rather a profession of personal conversion, heresy does not exist. John Newton was not baptized as an infant and did not receive this grace. Indeed it was when he reached a point of brokeness and turned to God in faith that he understood the depth of God’s grace.

I can see where the song might be imprudent if a priest left such issues unclear and had done a poor job of catechisis, but I have no problems using the song. Many of the issues the priest raises in the article could also be used to discredit the writings of St. Paul.
 
IF we wanted to be theologically correct, then every reference to “bread” in hymns that are sung during communion would have to be stricken, as after the consecration, it’s no longer bread (unless we add “the appearance of” into each and every hymn.
That assertion is incorrect. I have seen that argument periodically pop up from time to time on this board. The “Bread of Life” reference is both biblical (coming directly from the mouth of Christ). It also appears in the approved prayers of the Mass.

The Lord refers to himself as the Bread of Life and the Bread sent down from Heaven. The Memorial Prayer of the Roman Canon (which means the bread has already been transformed into the Body of Our Lord) states:

…and from the many gifts you have given us
we offer to you, God of glory and majesty,
this holy and perfect sacrifice:
the bread of life…

And that is something that can’t be blamed on ICEL playing fast and loose with translation rules. Older translations of the Canon in older missals state the same passage as:

…your holy people present to your sovereign Majesty this offering chosen from the blessing you have given us–a Victim all-perfect, a Victim holy and unblemished: the sacred Bread that gives us unending life…

The songs that refer to the Bread of Life are merely restating what the Church refers to in its approved liturgy. Your argument has no basis.
 
Amazing Grace is one of my favorite hymns, because it tells where Jesus brought me from and where I am going:clapping: Sing it every Sunday!!!
We sing it way too often. But if I was at a parish that sung it EVERY Sunday, I would throw myself off a bridge. :eek:
 
I see this song as being about the power and beauty of grace, and who can argue with that? It just plain true: grace is amazing. I used to sing this song while rocking my babies to sleep and I don’t think it hurt any one of us to hear these words:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T’was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we’ve been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’ve first begun.
 
That assertion is incorrect. I have seen that argument periodically pop up from time to time on this board. The “Bread of Life” reference is both biblical (coming directly from the mouth of Christ). It also appears in the approved prayers of the Mass.

The Lord refers to himself as the Bread of Life and the Bread sent down from Heaven. The Memorial Prayer of the Roman Canon (which means the bread has already been transformed into the Body of Our Lord) states:

…and from the many gifts you have given us
we offer to you, God of glory and majesty,
this holy and perfect sacrifice:
the bread of life…

And that is something that can’t be blamed on ICEL playing fast and loose with translation rules. Older translations of the Canon in older missals state the same passage as:

…your holy people present to your sovereign Majesty this offering chosen from the blessing you have given us–a Victim all-perfect, a Victim holy and unblemished: the sacred Bread that gives us unending life…

The songs that refer to the Bread of Life are merely restating what the Church refers to in its approved liturgy. Your argument has no basis.
Wait a minute…don’t misunderstand me…there are plenty of hymns that use “bread” and not “bread of life”, or at least in that contest. There have been many hymns that have been slammed on the CAF for that very reason i.e. that the laity might get the idea that it’s merely bread (after consecration).

So, yes, my argument has basis. 🙂
 
Good Grief.
:rolleyes:

IF we wanted to be theologically correct, then every reference to “bread” in hymns that are sung during communion would have to be stricken, as after the consecration, it’s no longer bread (unless we add “the appearance of” into each and every hymn.
“Appearance of” would be awfully clumsy to work into the lyrics.🙂
 
I see this song as being about the power and beauty of grace, and who can argue with that? It just plain true: grace is amazing. I used to sing this song while rocking my babies to sleep and I don’t think it hurt any one of us to hear these words:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

T’was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.

Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.

When we’ve been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We’ve no less days to sing God’s praise
Than when we’ve first begun.
Thank you for the words to this song. I could hear it everyday:thumbsup:
 
I really can’t listen to Amazing Grace anymore, and it’s not because of it’s doctrinal difficulties.

It was made know to me that you can sing the words to “Gilligan’s Island” to the tune of Amazing Grace.

So I my lips start with “sit right back and you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip” :cool:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top